Getting Ready for Moab
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Getting Ready for Moab

Getting Ready for Moab

Finally started working on the truck.
    I asked my daughter if she would like to help and I was glad she said yes.
    Without her help, I do not think I would have been able to get my hands on the #8 glow plug.

Yesterday we replaced the fuel filter, after pulling the right wheel well liner.
    Replaced the faulty glow plug again after pulling the left wheel well liner.
    Changed the air filter.
    Greased the front end.
    Checked the differential oil.

We looked at the serpentine belt, and decided to tackle it a bit latter.
    Also need to do the oil change.

It is great when your grown children still come to help out.
    Rider21, admiral, LuvNot and 8 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Yep, time to reset and focus on the next trip.

Now, if I could just get my adult "children" to come out and help me and not vice versa!fpalm.gif
    Mel, Dryden-Tdub, Tweaker and 6 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Worked on the TW today:
    Oil change
    Cleaned air filter
    Lubed chain
    Adjusted front forks so they are as low as I could set them.
    Bought new milk crate and installed on rear rack - will remove when bike is on front of truck.
    Re torqued a few bolts
    It should be ready for the Moab adventure.
    image.jpg image.jpeg
    On Monday Kal tire is going to re-balance, rotate and fill the tires to 80 psi
    Then I need to load the camper and get it ready for the trip.
    Hopefully this time next week I will be some where in Washington state headed for Moab.
    Fred, Tweaker, Mel and 3 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I keep looking at my tool load out with uncertainty.
    Will I have the only air compressor in camp or will 17 others offer me theirs? Same for chain and valve adjusting hardware. Will a small handful of metric nuts and bolts suffice or should I keep the pound an a half metric assortment already loaded? My bike runs great today, but will I want that multimeter, electric tape and 3/8 ratcheting breaker bar next week for Betty Boop or to loan out?
    Last year I had a needed nut, fuse, 110v inverter and tow rope to help others, but came home motoring on a borrowed carburetor. Decisions, decisions. Whatever I bring I likely will not need. Instead it will be the box of deliberately or inadvertently set aside parts that I will need.
    So if your bike gets sick in Moab spread the word and someone might be able to help. If your bike is sick today please try to get it fixed prior to departure. We all tend to be proud to help one another in many ways but try your best to be a giver more than a taker.
    So come see me if you have a screw loose. If I don't have a replacement I can at least send you back with an oatmeal raisin cookie.
    Tweaker, Mel, admiral and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I am waaayy overpacked; but this will be my test run with everything, including generator.

You know there will be a long line at your abode. Though not mechanically related; probably everyone there will have a screw loose!
    LuvNot, admiral, Mel and 5 others like this.

Man! I was really hoping to pull off the Moab trip this year and meet all you nut jobs. I knew it was going to come down to the last 3-4 weeks prior to the trip to make a decision but, nope, no can do. Work travel stacked up too deep and out of my control this year. Just know that I hope you all have great time, turn lots of gas into noise and have as many adult beverages as is purdent, or not!
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

My load out so far. Generator, air compressor, enough tools to rebuild most anything that rolls or crawls and a big enough hammer to finish it off if it doesn't come back to life. Two TW's and an Ace just to have a ride in as I have had it two years and only 125 mi on it. Will just be a run out of camp for that dusty trail and rock hillclimb out to the pavement and back from the arches road. A fair amount of wood for a nightly fire, hopefully others will add a bit also. Of course a bunson to make sure it burns, and of course the creature comforts to call it home for a while. I picked up a cargo trailer 8x16 so if we have a bit of wet while dining some can have a seat around a table to be able to have a chat and share the day's ride and tomorrow's trials.

See you there.

Started to get ready with a little more focus on departure day.

Put the 60T on yesterday and took it for a short spin down to the gas station. 13/60 is a tad more than 14/55 but pretty close. Last week at 13/50 @ 55 mph was about 7,300 rpm's. 13/60 @ 55 mph was about 9,000 rpm's. Knowing the electronic tach is not real accurate, I bumped up to 60 mph and the tach went up to 10,000 rpm's or 9,999 when I looked down so I don't really know if it reads 10,000 but close enough for you to get the idea. When I rode 14/55 @ 60 mph my rpm's were about 9,400-9,500.

I'm gonna like this at Moab and I'll still be able to comfortably ride 50-55 mph on the short highway stretches if need be. I wouldn't want to ride all day @ 55 mph over 9,000 rpm's but it will do nicely at Moab.

Also put my Moab XT225 tank back on. I don't need the extra weight of the Clark 4 gallon especially if negotiating the more technical and sand riding. Clarke 4 gal. is great for desert riding but not Admiral friendly in the tech stuff. I can do it but fight it.

#2 son coming over this afternoon to fine tune his KTM for loadout! Looking forward to the Moab fun!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

With just a Astro mini-van I won’t have Plumbstraight’s hauling capacity but I did load some firewood to contribute. I’ll burn a little bit overnight on my way via Capitol Reef but most of the wood should make it to Dry Camp. Going to be fun even if it might be Mud Camp at first depending on rainfall. At least some damp sand should make for easier riding .
    Tweaker likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Without her help, I do not think I would have been able to get my hands on the #8 glow plug.
    Wouldn't happen to be a ford would it?
    1991 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links