I'm picking up a Vento 150cc motorcycle for free- are they any good?
Close

So a friend wants me to take her ex's Vento Rebellion 150cc motorcycle for free. I already offered her $350 in barter value for it just to be more fair. But will it be worth it?

I would keep the bike at my folks house which is a flat, quaint seaside town. I figure this bike could be good to putt around on.

But sitting for 5 years I'll be concerned that after putting new tires, possibly new carb and tank on it.. plus it needs a key/ignition... I'll be into it for more than it's worth in terms of any real lasting reliability. New the bike was only 1700.

Will I need to replace the brake line, master cyl and fork seals?

It's been in an unheated garage all it's life and moved seldom.

So what do y'all think?
    07 tw200 - 70% offroad useage / barkbuster vps handguards / Emgo trunk box on oem yamaha metal rack / mirror extenders (ebay) / DID 428 v oring chain / jt sprockets 14/47 / pro taper se hi handlebars / pro taper mx synergy dual compound grips / judicious use of black 3m scotchlite reflective tape

Can you get parts? If so and it's free it maybe a fun project.

Yes and no. I did some checking and so far found one former retailer of them that says Vento is no longer producing bikes. That parts are avilable to some extent.

I looked at the bike today- its a harley -esque cruiser, but everything is plastic with fake chrome. All seems to be working, but couldnt get it running without a key. I turned the throttle a touch and was rewarded with a sticking needle and gas pissing out the overflow. A few hard taps on the carb and the needle seated again.

Its been sitting on what are now flat tires so that pretty much means ill need new rubber- right? If so, i might wind up sinking money into a time bomb as parts dry up. Its also missing a decorative side cover so theres no flipping this thing on ebay.

Im torn between the potential for an inexpensive put around bike and it being a headache when something electric shorts itself.
    07 tw200 - 70% offroad useage / barkbuster vps handguards / Emgo trunk box on oem yamaha metal rack / mirror extenders (ebay) / DID 428 v oring chain / jt sprockets 14/47 / pro taper se hi handlebars / pro taper mx synergy dual compound grips / judicious use of black 3m scotchlite reflective tape

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tires and tubes. Your in $200.00 right off. Maybe a used switch from a Honhasuzkaw will work.Just how much money are you willing to put into it?

Personally, I wouldn't put a penny into something like that. IMO it just won't be worth it. Off brand motorcycles just dont compare to Japanese or European motorcycles, especially in terms of quality and reliability (unless you're "Spudrider" or whatever his name is, with the Zongshen lol, and even then you've got to be very mechanically savvy and be willing to put in time to fix a bunch of little things and do a lot of maintenance). Plus I mean, if you're talking about putting $200-$300 into it, you'd be way better off buying an old Japanese scooter in decent condition IMO. Good luck.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Take it for free, part it out on eBay. Even if you only get $200 from parts you could put that towards a better bike of your choice. Or just bring it to a metal recycler for scrap value. Or don't even bother with it.

Don't pay for something someone is willing to give to you. If you feel obligated to pay, then save your $350 and pass on the Vento. Put the $350 towards something better.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the advice- I'm still undecided.

What is the likihood it will need tires after sitting for a few years gradually losing air to the point they are now totally flat? The rubber seemed fresh enough- so I'm more concerned about flat spots.

Checking online I see lots of advice about making sure to elevate the bike or roll it a little every so often if it's going to sit for awhile- but this seems more an issue with 600+ lb bikes.

Sponosred Links