My dog hit a car
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey guys, I trust a lot people here for advice on my motorcycles... So I thought I could look here for people's opinion on this situation I'm in...

Earlier today I was taking my dog out to go potty and she got away from me and ran into the parking lot, just happened my property manager was pulling into the lot and driving a little fast and my dog ran into the side of her car. I was almost hysterical that the property manager was about to run my dog over and shocked that she wasn't really paying attention. She didn't even tap the brakes until my dog hit her car, I'm thankful my dog is okay but now she's asking me to pay for a small dent on her car.

So far I've called the police to report the incident, my insurance agent and a small claims lawyer for advice

What do you guys think? Should I have to pay for the dent? I mean what if it was my kid that she hit, wouldn't it be her fault for not paying attention?

The dent is barely noticeable and I'm surprised that my little 45 lb golden retriever could have even caused any type of damage
    1987 TW200 - Work in Progress

1995 TW200 - Blaster Shock

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

Unlike your kid, in most jurisdictions you're supposed to be in control of your dog at all times.

Yer skrewt. Also (in most jurisdictions) you're looking at civil penalties for not having that critter under your control as well, if you keep pushing it and she (the injured party) decides to report it.. So dummy up, pony up and quit calling the cops before someone nails you fer dat, as well.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The info I got from the police is that there is no leash ordinance for private property...This happened at an apartment complex, I know it would be a different story if it happened in the street or on public property

My insurance agent said that there's nothing I can do and not to offer to pay for it unless her insurance company comes after me because she should be covered by comprehensive or collision

I just want to do whats right, but I kind of feel like she should have been paying attention

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You won't win this'n. All I'm sayin'.

Hope it goes well.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah I'm looking at it from her perspective too and if this happened to me I'd be pissed at the dog owner, but I'm not sure what right I would have to ask for money from them....

The lawyer said if I give her ANY money and that I might not be obligated to, I should have it documented and signed by witnesses because she could come back asking for more and claiming more damages

I'm also looking at it as if tomorrow my dog is limping and needs to go to the vet, it would almost be the same as me asking her to pay for the vet bill(s)

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

If you want to do what's right you will pay up and realize that your dog was the problem. As a bike rider, I face the enigma of dogs threatening my safety all the time, and owners feeling like I'm the problem for riding down the road and getting their dog excited when its their dog being off the leash and out of control of the owner that is the real problem. You may say your dog won't bite me very hard or whatever, but if he runs in front of my wheel and causes me to dump or to swerve into the path of an oncoming vehicle, I'm dead and you are trying to deny responsibility. Controling pets is a responsibility and a threat to the property and safety of others. Own up and quit whining. JMHO. T.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I think this is what I needed to hear, everyone's been telling me it's not my fault but I knew you guys would tell it to me straight

Probably the best thing to do is offer to pay for it if it's not covered under either of our insurances

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

Trust me on this one...I was a horseshoer for 25 years.

It's called "Care and Custody" law. You are the owner of the dog, you are reqd to keep it under control at all times, and not endanger the public at large with the dogs activities. The leash law doesn't apply.

I had a guy come after me for damage to his car when my dog ran out in front of him. I didn't have control of the dog at the time, my brother in law did. He threatened to sue, I told him to look into the care and custody law..never heard from him again. $2k in vet bills for the dog. Brother in law F-d up, I didn't.

Pay for the damages, then keep your dog on a leash.
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

Yeah, I think I'm lucky my dog didn't go under the car and get seriously hurt and there's only a small dent on the quarter panel of her car....the paint wasn't damaged and I guesstimate it wont cost more than $100 to repair.

I'll cough it up, move on and have learned my lesson

I'm really happy to have you guys as resources, I respect your opinions and value the input since I'm only 24 and have lots to learn sometimes I need to be kept in check

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

If it's only going to cost you around $100.00 dollars your lucky. A fellow bicycle club member was thrown over the bars when a large dog ran in front of him. The owner started yelling at him as if it was his fault until the police got there. His carbon frame and fork where cracked and shredded as was his helmet and kit. The dogs owner was shocked to learn his dog had caused over $8000.00 dollars in damage. He soon learned to keep his dog under control at all times and that Trek Madones cost more than Wal-Mart bikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links