Urban Legend ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Legend ?

It is not my intent to make fun of anyone or suggest one is paranoid as I have done the same thing. When I first posted here and on the VW forum, I use to conceal my license plate so no one could see the number. Then I sort of realized that I drive with it exposed all day.

It originally struck me as the prudent thing to do, but?? I have heard of folks actually having their plate stolen, like in removed from their vehicle. As well, on of my co-workers had her current registration sticker peeled from her plate (stolen). She was very upset as it cost her well over $100 as she had to purchase a new one.

Anyone know of an incident where exposing your plate number on a forum and something really bad happened? Might this concern fall into the category of Urban Myth? Just curious, Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

I've been taking a razor blade and making cuts at angles on my registration stickers for years. Makes it pretty hard to remove sticker in once piece.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

The sticker trick is awesome, I Love it!

Hoogie514

1987 TW200 - Currently undergoing a complete winter rebuild!

2006 Suzuki King Quad 700 - Twin Air, HMF Slip on

2010 Suzuki King Quad 500

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i like the razer thing i am going to do it today.

I've often wondered that myself. I am also guilty of erasing my license plate number whenever I post a picture on the Internet. And, it was seriously just the other day, I was looking at a CraigsList ad where the poster put a towel over their plate on the ad. I wondered to myself, does it really matter? And like you said, thousands of people see it every time you are on the road, so what does it really help? I can't wait to see people's answers on this.

Dan

P.S. Been doing the razor blade trick on the sticker since I purchased my first car.
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

I thought about this the first time I saw an online Craigslist pic of a vehicle with the license plate obscured. What does it matter if people can see your plate in a picture, when lots of people will see it as you drive, while it's parked at work, or even while it's parked at home in some cases. I've never fuzzied my plate for an online picture. I've never seen the point.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I was going to post a tongue in cheek reply about the picture of the "28IF" plate on the VW in the Abbey Road album, but then I read the rules about picture posting and decided against it.

Good question. I did a little internet search and found that the average person can't legally track you down through the DMV with your license plate. But there are websites where you might be able to find someone through their plate numbers for the low, low price of $25.

I plan to continue to cover up my plate in online photos to avoid stalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Good question. I did a little internet search and found that the average person can't legally track you down through the DMV with your license plate. But there are websites where you might be able to find someone through their plate numbers for the low, low price of $25.

I plan to continue to cover up my plate in online photos to avoid stalkers.

I would like to save you guys some money. Send me $15, that's a 40% saving. I will then tell you where I'm at . I as well am going to do the razorblade trick. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

If you take a picture of your plate while out on a ride, no one would think twice. But when the picture is taken in your garage full of tools, other bikes, a gun safe, car, etc., thats when covering your plate would come into play. Like Big E said, you really can't just walk into the DMV and ask for an address. But there are connections out there that would allow you to find out where someone lives.

I don't cover my plate, but I do razor blade my tabs. My Dad taught me that when I was a little kid and have been doing it ever since.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links