Like Tree20Likes
  • 9 Post By LuvNot
  • 6 Post By jb882
  • 1 Post By mountain yawp
  • 3 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By jb882

Thread: Photo Editing Cheap and Easy

Photo Editing Cheap and Easy

Hey Admiral, this is for you! And for anyone who wants to do minor editing, like adding text, to their photos.

I started my working life as a graphic artist before moving into my current career. Even though being artistic isn't my primary function anymore, it's impossible to take the art out of my blood. Since my job didn't originally focus on being creative, and thus didn't provide many tools/programs to help, I learned to use what was natively installed on the machine to work magic with images.
    (Luckily for me, the boss realized my potential and I now get to make tech doc and use Photoshop )

There are 2 main programs that I found to be incredibly powerful and use consistently: PowerPoint and Snagit

Microsoft PowerPoint comes as part of the Office suite of programs that is often free as part of a computer's native files. You can purchase a subscription service from MS, but don't do it - just buy the office program instead so you're not held hostage to your internet connection. Primarily a slide show provider, PowerPoint has a wide variety of tools that can add text, crop photos, and provide some basic image enhancement features (brightness/contrast, color correction, etc). One of the things I like best about PowerPoint is the ability to alter dozens of photos on individual slides, then "save-as" a regular image file like .JPG or .PNG which can be used in posts like these. You can "save-as" a single photo, or save them all at once (which will put them all in a separate folder as slide1, slide2, slide3, etc.)

Snagit is an inexpensive program that is a little more limited than PowerPoint, but offers some unique features that PowerPoint can't touch. Snagit is primarily a screen-shot program that can either take still images, or capture short video clips of what you're doing on-screen. Snagit's image editing strength, however, comes from its flexible text boxes, and specialized crop function. I use Snagit at work primarily for screen capture that I then import into other programs. But if you're looking for an inexpensive tool, Snagit is the way to go.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Thanks, I'll have to check them out.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

If you want something free and photoshop level powerful check out the GNU image manipulator AKA GIMP. Its totally free and is a fantastic program. Before Adobe started doing a sub service i used it for years for photography since i didn't want to spend the $$$ that photoshop commands.

https://www.gimp.org/
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What program do people use for video editing? I have tried a couple of free ones, but can't seem to get the results I am looking for. I want something super basic to edit the start and stop points on my videos.
    Thanks
    admiral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    What program do people use for video editing? I have tried a couple of free ones, but can't seem to get the results I am looking for. I want something super basic to edit the start and stop points on my videos.
    Thanks
    It takes me awhile to learn anything new but the easiest I ever found was Microsoft "Movie Maker". It's pretty easy to cut, add a transition between clips if wanted, easy to add pictures and music. Note: Most of the music or sound effects I add to a project I've downloaded for free use from Youtube. Sometimes there are artists songs which the only thing you have to do is list the info they provide in the youtube description but it's still free.

I have also used youtube itself to do all the same functions as Movie Maker but because you have to do it online it's slower so I rarely use it. Again, you have to get used to it but once familiar it gets pretty easy...but you'll need some patience unless you have access to "super internet speed" which I don't.
    LuvNot, Dryden-Tdub and Elvesus like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I own a mac and i use the imovie app that comes with it.
    admiral likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Thanks for the advice on the video editing.
    I will try windows movie Maker if available for windows 7.

Windows Live Movie Maker came standard on my Windows 7 laptop.

Sponosred Links