• 2 Post By Tweaker
  • 1 Post By Tweaker
  • 2 Post By Tweaker
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By PlacerLode
  • 3 Post By goldenhtr

Thread: Damaged Gift Card Recovery

Damaged Gift Card Recovery

In this day and age of gross corporate greed and non-existent customer care, companies are cutting corners more and more, then laughing on their way to the bank when customers are left with worthless merchandise or gift cards that always end up giving the companies your loose change.

Case in point... Amazon. I have mixed feelings about this merchandise giant and the way it conducts business. But no one can deny their ability to settle customer claims and ability to ship fast. However, just like everyone else, they're cutting corners in the name of more profit.

My parents gave me two gift cards for my birthday. We're all old enough to buy whatever we want, but giving something is important to them and I am definitely grateful. But these gift cards are, quite frankly, crap. They are cheap card stock with a protective tape over the verification numbers that consistently tears the letters when peeling the tape off. Half the cards I received had to be rescued before I caught a clue and figured out the trick.

Amazon Card destroyed.jpg

How to remove security tape from a card without tearing the numbers off too:
    1. Hold the card under a hair drier set on high for 3 to 5 minutes.
    2. Start to peel a corner of the tape gently from the card stock.
    3. If paper starts to tear, put the card back under the hair drier for another 30 seconds to a minute.

How to recover numbers when they tear off with the security tape:
    1. When the paper pulls up with the security tape, STOP PULLING!
    2. Smear a small amount of wood glue or white glue on the torn section.
    3. Gently smooth the security tape back onto the card and wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to completely dry
    4. Follow the steps 1 to 3 above to remove the security tape.

If you've removed the security tape completely, do the same as above, but use a separate piece of card stock
    Do Not attempt to place the security strip back on the card or the numbers may become jumbled or illegible.

Good Luck folks! I hope no one has to use this, but if it helps one person, it's worth the write-up.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I would email Amazon about your problem and send the photos. Sometimes this kind of mess up is from a bad supplier and the problem shows up down the road. I doubt this is intentional.

Nice job on the recovery BTW.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-03-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I wanted to email them but couldn't find contact information anywhere on their site, on my profile stuff, in the links at the bottom of the page, etc. Their "help/customer service" section was worthless.

If you can find a contact link that allows actual email, that would be tremendously helpful!
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You can call this # 1-866-216-1072
    You can email them through your acccount. If you don't have an account you could open one it's pretty easy.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Dude, seriously, where did you find that number? And if you could provide a screen shot of where to email, I'd appreciate it. I can not find a place on the page that provides email service!

I have an Amazon app and account. It's in the menu on the top. I could email them through the app, but not for you. I am sure it's on the web if you open an account.

Under customer service/ contact us/
    Screenshot_2017-05-05-23-15-00.png
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-06-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub and LuvNot like this.

Thanks for the helpful info LuvNot.

I recently had good customer service from Amazon via the quoted 800 number. On-Trac delivery service failed to deliver an item sold by a non-Amazon vendor. A little mild complaint and request for redress from me resulted in a credit , a re-order and most importantly free two day shipping. I was impressed that in the interest of good customer relations Amazon was willing to eat the cost of an error committed by a third party delivery service. Never hurts to ask for a supervisor’s approval of additional customer support, they have lots of discretion to appease a grumpy but polite customer.

P.S. - Many gift cards also have expiration dates and decaying purchasing power over time....use ‘em before you loose ‘em!
    Last edited by Fred; 05-06-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I had a similar problem with ebay gift cards yesterday but they are plastic like a credit card and the trick is removing the glue like strip to reveal the numbers on the plastic card. Took me many youtube videos and many bad suggestions to find a guy who used the edge of another credit card or gift card to gently aand slowly "roll" the glue strip almost like using the 2nd card like a chisel or scraper. It's nice and flat and worked perfectly. Of course I ruined some in the past using a coin which is peoples first instinct when they see a scratch off
    Tweaker and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

In Washington State gift cards can not expire. They are considered the same as cash.

So, to recap, here’s the lowdown on merchant-issued gift cards and gift certificates in Washington:

• They don’t expire. If you're told the card or certificate is expired, talk to customer service or a manager. But if a company is out of business, that's another story.
    • They don’t usually accrue fees. However, a merchant can charge a minor inactivity fee if you have less than $5 remaining on a card and you haven’t made a purchase within the past two years, checked your balance or added to the card’s value.
    • Once your gift card balance goes below $5, you have the right to redeem the balance for cash.
    • The law doesn’t give you the right to return an unused gift certificate or card you bought, nor does it prohibit a retailer from allowing you to do so. In other words, it’s up to the business to set its own return policy.
    • The state law doesn’t apply to rebate cards, promo cards or those purchased at a charity event. General-purpose cards issued by Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover aren’t covered either.

Whole article
      Gift card questions answered | Washington State
    littletommy, LuvNot and Fred like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Sponosred Links