What IF situation
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: What IF situation

What IF situation

Just stumbled upon this. Though I don't own one of these, like this fellow, I ride alone and am about the same age. No finger wagging, but sometimes a reminder and reality check can keep us a bit safer. Given the location, surprised he had cell reception. A backup device (spot/personal location beacon) ----- might merit some thought. Take care..
    --
    <font size="3">
    Last edited by Gerry; 05-16-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    Take care my Friend.........

Boy, that sucks. It could happen to any of us.
    Last edited by 1911garand; 05-17-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Wow! That could have been a terrible out come, I worry about that when I ride my Mules alone too. It has to be or would never get to enjoy them.
    TopPredator and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1911garand View Post
    Boy, that sucks. I could happen to any of us.
    Roger that.

As Gerry said, backup emergency location device(s) should be a serious consideration. One could see how such a device would be extremely useful even if you were riding with a friend. That fellow on the Rokon was stuck real good. He could have been stuck real bad, and even with a friend along, the friend may not have been able to extract him... Friend is now forced to ride back for help. This creates potential for things to get worse.

Also, always file a flight plan. m.

Oh man is that scary!! Generally i ride alone and most everywhere i go im in deep doodoo if i go off the downside of the trail. Generally no cell service, so ive actually been wondering about some sort of satelite texting device. The reviews on the spot seem "spotty" at best hahah. Any recomendations?
    Rockit, TopPredator and Ken like this.

My two cents,

This is the reason everybody who ventures off of the beaten path should be WEARING a small backpack of their choosing. Any and all life saving/preserving equipment should be inside the pack. I will spare the details of what I would select and just say bring the essentials for the areas/terrain that YOU ride in.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Personal locator beacons and Spot/Delorme devices are very different in terms of transmit power and features. For many years, when using my Spot, I have opted to pay extra for automatic tracking at 10 minute intervals. At my slow pace, that does leave lots of territory to search should I not come home some evening, but far better than leaving folks to guessing which direction you may have decided to go. Then of course, there is always the 911 button. Significantly better than having nothing and waiting for someone to just happen by. Last year just decided to hedge my bet and went and purchased a Personal Locator Beacon. No frills, but five watts of emergency transmit power. Should I be in a situation like the Rokon rider, I would use my Spot first. If no help arrived for what seemed a long period of time, the PLB would be activated. If the emergency seemed life threatening, the PLB would be used first. Thats my plan anyway.
    <font size="3">https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...r-beacons.html
    Take care my Friend.........

I have back country snowmobieled and cycled a lot, sometimes alone. My buddies laugh at my "kit" sometimes, but I have never had to much stuff with me when off road and broken down or stuck (several times not enough, another story). I have had a couple of friends severley hurt when alone. Both were very close to a road, but in a "ditch" not visible. Both lived, but spent hours incapacitated, unable to move before being found and or able to crawl to the road. I still ride alone a bit, but man am I careful! The one buddy credits living to being in full MX gear, as he took a deer to the chest at 25mph. He had multiple rib fractures and was unconcious for at least 30 minutes and in a ditch for several hours right along side his 2 day old XR250l.
    Last edited by Mattwings; 05-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

One thing that really surprised me when watching Rick's video of the Green Ridge ride was how difficult it was to see me or the bike when I ran off the road. If I had been alone and severely injured, I could have been there - within spitting distance of the road - and might have been completely missed by everyone riding past, even though I was wearing the neon safety yellow gear, due to the way the bank dipped back down on the other side of the little ridge. That whole experience just reinforced for me how riding alone could go very wrong.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

When that happened to me, my leg trapped under the TW was broken and the foot was pointing backwards. I used my elbows to pull against the bike to stretch the leg while rotating my body until the foot was pointed the right direction. I do not remember how I got the leg out from under it. Probably because of the pain. I do not remember how I got the TW upright but I did and with the kickstand deployed. I do remember pulling myself up using the TW with my hands. I lifted the broken leg over the bike and settled painfully into the saddle. Then the Miracle happened. I touched the starter and it fired right up. I low geared it down the trail for about half a mile until I hit a jeep trail. I then motored the 25 miles back to civilization. Xrays showed the broken bone and the fact that I had reset it correctly. They sent me home in a cast with a good supply of pain pills,(oxycodone).
    And instructions to stay off the leg for 5 or six weeks. This happened in the Olympic Forest out of Reach of cell phone service and alone. It was the only way that I could prevent being bear food. There are some risks to riding alone.
    BTW, I was a youthful 64 years old when this occurred. I am now closing on 73 and could probably not do it Again. Especially with my partly paralyzed legs.
    Last edited by phelonius; 05-17-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links