Mountain Biking?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone here mountain bike at all? I have been out of the loop on it for a good while. Was thinking of trimming down some pounds and getting a bike. Maybe even enter a few friendly cross country races here in north Texas.

Any good insight would be appreciated.

Yep, been on my mind for some time. I have a (what was) high end Shogun which is a great bike-about 25 years old. I think it was around $400.00 back then. As I have been thinking about a new bike that has suspension, I have been checking out the next generation of front and rear suspension bikes. It's pricy but the Specialized Camber 29'er is the hot set up. I would really have to try one before spending that kind of money. My old Shogun is like new but without the suspension, everything I run over transmits up my spine. Old age and repercussions of a misspent youth are catching up with me. OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Anyone here mountain bike at all? I have been out of the loop on it for a good while. Was thinking of trimming down some pounds and getting a bike. Maybe even enter a few friendly cross country races here in north Texas.

Any good insight would be appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

hi, last year,@192#,my grandson and i started riding, got a 30+ year old schwinn @ a thrift store for $20.long story short, end of year,down to 177#. i felt sooo good too. this year i started @180#.down to 177.already. i almost forgot i am 68...dale

Yeah, I hear you on the back thing. Last year I resurrected my Trek road bike and updated a few parts and finished a Triathlon with it. Was fun passing full carbon bikes with my '88 vintage hehe. I lost some weight too, but would like to take advantage of the trails near where I live while also avoiding car traffic on the roads. I used to have a Specialized stumpjumper from the early '90s that had no suspension. I got stolen, and I really missed that bike.

So far after a bunch of research I seem to be gravitating to a limited travel rear suspension that would work for XC racing. Main brands I seem to be gravitating to are Specialized Comp (has a raved reviewed "Brain" shock), the Niner Jet 9, and the Scott version (can't recall actual model name).

I use to? A few years ago i got a redline monocog single speed 29er and put a front shock and disk brake on it. A few friends and i rode alot that summer and i havent really rode it much in the last two years. Guess that happens when you get married and have kids!

Heh married with kids and now got the itch! Age and metabolism...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Last year I resurrected my Trek road bike and updated a few parts and finished a Triathlon with it. Was fun passing full carbon bikes with my '88 vintage hehe.

I've also done triathlons on a mtn bike, then I borrowed someone's road bike and took 10 mins off my bike time. I still didn't come close to the front of the pack, but you might on the right bike.

a 29er will roll over a lot and a 26er takes a little more skill to ride in rocks...look for a solid frame, a decent fork, and a mid or low level component group...higher level component groups are just lighter but they do the same thing as the mid/low level stuff and are more expensive to replace when you smash something on a rock or tweak a derailleur with a stick...don't worry too much about weight...a decent bike that is able to be upgraded goes a long way trust me...make sure you test ride/demo it and have about 1"-2" stand over clearance for your junk...and keep a little money for clipless shoes and pedals (best upgrade in my opinion)...also pick up a few replaceable rear derailleur hangers with your bike cause after a few years they can be hard to find unless the bike company keeps the same design...good luck and have fun man...post up what you buy

and if you need any parts...

http://www.performancebike.com/

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/

this is what i ride...it's heavy and not pretty but it gets the job done...i have a night riding light system as well which puts a whole new twist on your favorite trail...as for what our trails look like, well they ain't smooth...

I used to ride clip-less pedals but am a flat pedal convert...soooo much shoe grip when you need it and nothing stopping you from dabbing a foot on the ground in rough terrain. This is my human powered off-road fun machine

Banshee Rampant

2011 TW200 Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links