Jeep
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Jeep

Jeep

I've owned 3 so I can relate to this!

Jeep.jpg
    Dryden-Tdub, Mel, Ken and 10 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

From a Jeep owner for the past 25 years, I can totally relate!
    scotti158 likes this.

Not sure where I heard this, but to paraphrase, "a Jeep will inevitably get stuck, or break down; it will just be farther from civilization when it does."

My love-hate relationship with Jeeps goes back 60 years when I bought my first with my paper route earnings. It was a Ford, manufactured in Dallas, and likely sold stateside as surplus after WWII but from its condition I thought it was a veteran on the D-Day invasion. In its scant dozen years it had been over the mountain and down the valley without regard for roads or even trails. By the time I got it the bumpers had been replaced with sections of railroad track and hardly anything worked right except the engine. The clutch would not disengage completely so I had to start it in first gear then feel my way through the rest. Reverse was a non option - I learned never to drive or park where that would be needed. Obviously could never have passed any sort of inspection, but I wasn't licensed anyway so kept off the roads as much as possible.

By the time I could drive legally dad had bought an FC-170 with a stake bed and I made deliveries after school. Ugly but functional. I got the bug again living in California in the 60's but did not have the money. I eventually bought a new Cherokee Chief in 76. I managed to bury it to the belly pans in a soggy pasture in site of my house before I had even received my permanent plates. It later developed issues with the front drive shaft CV joints and knocked a hole in the transmission case I patched, semi successfully, with JB weld. Then there were missing teeth on the flywheel starter ring which occasionally necessitated crawling underneath to turn the engine a few degrees with a screwdriver. I bought a used 77 pick-up, same color and trim and even the keys were identical, so I would have a back-up vehicle and possibly interchangeable parts, but that was hit or miss, especially the electronic ignition, which always seemed to fail when my wife was driving alone. I traded the pair for a 90s Pioneer, but it seemed so frail and gutless I did not keep it long.

The next 20 years I drove Ford trucks, some 4WD, some diesel, and a Explorer Sport Trac, and did not have any major issues with any.

I'm back with my current Jeep Liberty, reminds me of the Chief, but it has been very dependable. It's 2WD so am less tempted to go over the mountain and down the valley. I have the TW for that. I keep looking for Jeep to finally reintroduce the pick-up, but keeps getting pushed back and may not be available before the state takes away my license.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have owed 3 Jeeps, all Wranglers, 2 door, manual shift, no fancy BS. So consistently for almost 25 years.
    A CJ, TJ and I think they call the current models JK's?
    I bought it outright after the lease expired as there wasn't much difference between the 2013 and what was being offered as the 2016. Waiting for them to come out with the Wrangler pick-up... someday. Alway loved the old "Comanche's" if ya remember them? That's a collector vehicle now if you can find one in good shape.

Probably one of the ridiculously least depreciated vehicles I've ever owned. Have never had a problem with any of mine other than changing tires every 50,000 miles.

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

Jeep...Just Empty Every Pocket
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

Q. What does Jeep stand for

Answer

Jeep is not an acronym -- it's an actual word. It started out as the name of a character in the Popyey cartoon, Eugene the Jeep. Eugene could only say one word -- Jeep. "Jeep" ended up being the trademarked name for a vehicle used in WWII. Why the vehicle was called a "jeep" is clouded in mystery...

From Wikipedia:

There are many explanations of the origin of the word "jeep," all of which have proven difficult to verify. The most widely held theory is that the military designation of GP begat the term "Jeep" and holds that the vehicle bore the designation "GP" (for "Government Purposes" or "General Purpose"), which was phonetically slurred into the word jeep. However, an alternate view launched by R. Lee Ermey, on his television series Mail Call, disputes this, saying that the vehicle was designed for specific duties, and was never referred to as "General Purpose" and it is highly unlikely that the average jeep-driving GI would have been familiar with this designation. The Ford GPW abbreviation actually meant (G for government use, P to designate its 80-inch (2,000 mm) wheelbase and W to indicate its Willys-Overland designed engine).

Many, including Ermey, suggest that soldiers at the time were so impressed with the new vehicles that they informally named it after Eugene the Jeep, a character in the Popeye cartoons created by E. C. Segar. Eugene the Jeep was Popeye's "jungle pet" and was "small, able to move between dimensions and could solve seemingly impossible problems."[1]

It's an easy leap from "GPW" to "GP" to Jeep. Don't overthink it.
    by Old Enough To Know on Jun 28, 2016.
    You are all wrong, J.E.E.P. is an acronym. it stands for:
    Joint all wheel drive
    Emergency
    Evacuation
    of Personnel vehicle.
    Being in the military for 32 years and working in the military motor pool for half that time one gets familiar with all nomenclature..
    by Major Dave (US Army ret) on Jul 19, 2016.
    I heard that during the second world war army vehicles kept breaking down so the American army used broken down vehicle parts to build a usable vehicle naming it the J.E.E.P ,which stands for JUST.ENOUGH.ESSENTIAL.PARTS....true or not????
    by Mark on Oct 25, 2016.
    Actually mark was quite close, it's actually Just Enough Equipment Parts , it is an acronym though
    by Mike on Jan 31, 2017.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 06-04-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    scotti158 likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Fred, TopPredator and scotti158 like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    That is pretty awesome looking!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2 words: 'Death Wobble'

well...and 'Wheel Bearings'
    scotti158 likes this.

The best solution to jeep problems is a TW/FJ combo!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5d66f75fb1.jpg
    Last edited by JasonTX; 06-06-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    scotti158 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links