Liter bikes
Close

Thread: Liter bikes

My fathers almost 50 and is still into oldschool speed and he rides a totally "stripped" 1991 zx10 thats streetfightered and frankensteined completley(im convinced its the fastest bike ever lol). So we found a 1988 zx10 last night in ct on ebay for 500$. Listed as "motor blown" 11k miles all stock. Boy was he excited.

I dont think ive ever seen the man happier than last night when we went to pick up that 575lb monster, it was MINT, haha except for a fist sized whole in the lower left side of the engine! The guy said he threw a rod, idc we dont want the engine anyway. The parts alone were worth 4xs the asking price according to my old man, only down side is hes gonna be engine swapping for a couple weeks when we could be out riding!

Anybody else go riding with their pops?

I wish! My Dad tried to keep me away from motorcycles as a kid. All my buddies had them. I started to save up money to get one and he told me that no bike would be allowed under his roof. He angrily explained that only a fool would ride a motorcycle and that they are a total waste of time. So as you can imagine I was not to happy about it. Fast forward 20 years, now I ride because of my Dad. My youthfull dream of riding dirtbikes lives inside me with massive strength. As a life long skateboarder I view the world as a skatepark. There are few things I enjoy more than drawing my own line near and around the actual trail.

I have a pretty good relationship with Dad these days, it took some wacky tobaccy to get me to think diferently about him. Once I put myself in his shoes...we been friends ever since.

Thanks Dad, you made me an offroad two wheel addict!

To all the Dads out there, be carefull in how you discourage things you may not see as good. My son is not growing up with that kind of dictatorship narrow mindedness.

I look forward to teaching my boy how to ride and casting a fishing line into a high alpine lake that we road our dirtbikes too. My Dads idea of bonding was a ride in the c+ar to the BMW dealer for a test drive. Maybe that is why I am a mild motorhead in Diesel mechanics school!

I'm over 50 now myself. Unfortunately my son doesn't currently own a motorcycle. However, some of my fondest memories with my Dad are riding motorcycles. My brothers and I all owned motorcycles in our teenage years, so my Dad picked up one, too. He bought an old Harley Sprint. The Sprints had a 250cc long stroke engine and would beller just like the bigger Harleys. He would let us ride it occasionally. When kicking it to life you had to follow through or it would kick you right over the handlebars. I have another of his bikes in the garage right now, awaiting restoration. It's an older Suzuki twin cylinder two stroke road bike. I've had some fun on it, too. Good times, thanks for helping to bring back the memories!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My Dad bought his TW from a buddy. He wouldn't ride alone, so he bought another one to let me ride. We took the motorcycle training course together. We ride together at least twice a month between March and September.

I am very thankful I get to ride with him.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

My dad had a`weakness for Italian motorcycles which resulted from a succession of Ariels and Vespas he owned when he was stationed in Italy during The War.

Time and the demands of life kept us from riding together, but we did manage to ride one another's bikes during periods of bikelessness over the years. I was never able to find him a restorable Ariel Square Four to replace his that I could afford but I've finally found him a sidecarred Vespa 250 Shriner Bike. Now that he's in his 80's and after 40-odd years we may finally be riding together if only in parades and to the local coffee shop.

Savor every moment.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have ridden with my Dad and uncles all in their 70's now!

My FZ-1 with a bunch of guys on harleys.

Well, I'm almost 50 and the TW200 is my first bike. I just got my cycle endorsement last week. My dad doesn't ride and is not really in good enough shape to ride. But one major factor is I have a 15 y.o. son who rides dirt bikes and i know he will get a road bike some day. Not only do I want to ride with him, but I want to lead by example in safe riding. This is even more important now that MI has repealed the mandatory helmet law. I need for him to know that what is legal can still be very wrong.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    My fathers almost 50 and is still into oldschool speed and he rides a totally "stripped" 1991 zx10 thats streetfightered and frankensteined completley(im convinced its the fastest bike ever lol). So we found a 1988 zx10 last night in ct on ebay for 500$. Listed as "motor blown" 11k miles all stock. Boy was he excited.

I dont think ive ever seen the man happier than last night when we went to pick up that 575lb monster, it was MINT, haha except for a fist sized whole in the lower left side of the engine! The guy said he threw a rod, idc we dont want the engine anyway. The parts alone were worth 4xs the asking price according to my old man, only down side is hes gonna be engine swapping for a couple weeks when we could be out riding!

Anybody else go riding with their pops?

My old man always told me "those things are just killing and maiming machines", to which I'd reply, "yep, but I'm a masochist, so I like killing and maiming machines". By the way nice score on that ZX10, pretty sweet deal indeed!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    My old man always told me "those things are just killing and maiming machines", to which I'd reply, "yep, but I'm a masochist, so I like killing and maiming machines". By the way nice score on that ZX10, pretty sweet deal indeed!

grew up riding dirt bikes with my dad and older brother. neither of which has ever had a street legal bike. i'm hopelessly addicted to them. my parent's worry about me riding but thats normal. i don't hold it against them at all.

Well I well be 50 in a few months an my dad passed away when he was 49.But he an my brother rode bikes together on almost every dirte rode around.Those where some great times.

Sponosred Links