Am i riding to fast for you
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Am i riding to fast for you

Am i riding to fast for you

Little known fact Sue and I purchased Gerry's Honda 90 a couple years back, the "Little Mr. Gizmo". We thought the Honda 90s would be a fun bike to learn how to ride on. Which they were. We would ride the local hills, at 10mph. Sue learned right away that if she tried real hard she could ride down hill as slow as 3mph. Please God give me patients. I decided, against my will, that I would have to be patient with her until her riding skills improved. Which they did. We were "burning up" the logging roads at 15mph, hot wheels, best get out of her way! She was showing improvement so we bought the TW's and started a new learning curve.

Dan is thinking learning curve and Sue is thinking lean into the curve. After 6000 miles of dirt roads and trails her average speed has almost tripled. Finally, she is keeping up with me. Yahoo! Then the worst thing happened. While riding a little faster then my comfort zone, I hear Sue ask over the microphone, "AM I RIDING TO FAST FOR YOU"? Those words cut like a knife, I'm now an old fart! The last couple of rides has been me just keeping up! There has been a change in my life and I don't like this growing old stuff. What to do?

I must slow Sue down. Some advice would be welcomed. I'm contemplating re-adjusting her valves just a little in order to slow the bike down. Definitely deflate the tires as much as possible. Maybe lean the carburetor a little. Then when I pass her on the trail she will think I'm a " HE MAN" fast and strong. Growing old is not for the young!!! Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    littletommy, Gerry, Mel and 13 others like this.

She is a road racer isn't she? I was behind her on the way to Mount Spokane and all I could see were sparks coming off the foot pegs and her knees almost to the asphalt!!!
    SanDue, Jon62602, Ken and 3 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Adjust Sue’s rear brake so it drags just a little bit. That should slow her down.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would just let her go as fast as she likes. Growing old has some benefits in that we do slow down and we do take the time to smell the roses along the way. Always remember it is not the destination, its the ride so just go enjoy it while you can because soon enough it won't be quite as enjoyable when every damn bone and joint start aching. Going faster than you are comfortable with is what causes those trail side naps and when ever I do take a dive the healing is a much longer and more painful process. At 65 with a bad knee and the opposite hip I can hardly sling a leg over a TW seat so enjoy it while you still can and allow her to be FORD, first on race day.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Don't tell Sue or give her the directions to where you're headed. Then she'll be forced to follow you. If she insists on getting directions from you, give her wrong ones whereby you can hope she'll get the subtle hint she should continue to follow you.amazon.gif

Of course, Sue may resist all attempts on your part to slow her down. In that case, you're screwed so just accept it!gerg.gif
    littletommy, SanDue and mhomadness like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Haw, does she drive her car on the fast and carefree style? If so you should have kept her on the 90! Heeeeyaaaa!
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I like to stop and survey the upcoming terrain and if I have a concern or question I always point out to my riding buddies that they are so much better riders that they should go first and show how to do it.
    But I'm usually alone so that doesn't work as often as I'd like.

I'd just limit her throttle or give incomplete directions. As a last resort point out how you like to have fun but at a safe pace.

Dan, I would suggest a multi-tactic approach to this...situation.

Definitely incorporate all of the very good ideas, suggestions, & advice as others mentioned.

While out riding, if Sue begins to exceed the reasonable speeds one should enjoy on a TW make use of the two way communication system by making statements such as the following:

Q: "Am I going too fast?"

A: "No, Fred said I should watch the trails carefully as there is usually gold one can find!"

A: "No, I'm being careful as MHoMadness said that goats frequent this road!"

A: "No, I'm looking out for the hammer that Admiral lost!"

A: "No, did you not see that sasquatch?"

A: "No, Little Tommy said there used to be a bakery around here back in the day..."

Ok, maybe not the last one, but you get the idea.

I would also put a decal on your TW reading "Low & Slow". Tell Sue you're trying to live up to the image! m.
    Gerry, SanDue, littletommy and 1 others like this.

Wait!! I liked that last one!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhomadness View Post
    Dan, I would suggest a multi-tactic approach to this...situation.

Definitely incorporate all of the very good ideas, suggestions, & advice as others mentioned.

While out riding, if Sue begins to exceed the reasonable speeds one should enjoy on a TW make use of the two way communication system by making statements such as the following:

Q: "Am I going too fast?"

A: "No, Fred said I should watch the trails carefully as there is usually gold one can find!"

A: "No, I'm being careful as MHoMadness said that goats frequent this road!"

A: "No, I'm looking out for the hammer that Admiral lost!"

A: "No, did you not see that sasquatch?"

A: "No, Little Tommy said there used to be a bakery around here back in the day..."

Ok, maybe not the last one, but you get the idea.

I would also put a decal on your TW reading "Low & Slow". Tell Sue you're trying to live up to the image! m.
    mhomadness and SanDue like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I don't get it? Quit complaining. I always have liked fast women and following from behind.
    GaryL, mhomadness, SanDue and 1 others like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links