Fathers Day Surprise - Wildfire in the neighborhood It was a little tense here
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Fathers Day Surprise - Wildfire in the neighborhood It was a little tense here

Fathers Day Surprise - Wildfire in the neighborhood It was a little tense here

First, my thoughts go out to our neighbor who lost everything in the fire. Home, cars, misc property and worst of all, pets. Edit: I was just informed the family is ok and saved all of their pets. My thoughts are also with all the other neighbors who lost property but not their homes. Thanks to all the fire departments who responded. I may miss one or two but it's not intentional (New Plymouth, Middleton, Caldwell, Eagle, and BLM.

The fire got within about 50 yards of our house and shop. Thankfully, my pops-in-law refreshed the firebreak in our pasture's. You can see the firebreak here between the BLM Crew and my shop.

BLM Crew on mop up in our pasture. Our firebreak is in the foreground (dirt)

Helicopter w/bucket on way to neighbors

More of our burnt pasture

More mop up in our pasture as helo is on anther water drop

Helo picked up water in local irrigation canal

Two neighbors places here. The one which lost their home is furthest back by trees.

The picture was taken from our driveway. Our place is to the left of this picture. BLM truck is in our pasture checking for hot spots with the helo on another water drop.

To the right is another neighbor with some of his stuff on fire.

Turned out to be a very memorable fathers day.
    Last edited by admiral; 06-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Glad to hear that you and your family are okay.

Wow, so glad you're okay!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Ken and admiral like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One of my old BLM crewmembers was staffing that ship...Heard about it, but didn't know it was your backyard....One good thing, now you have a new and improved fireline for the rest of the summer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Ken, Mrs. Admiral and admiral like this.

Glad you all are safe, the plowed firebreak sure gives good defensible space.
    So sorry to hear of your neighbor’s losses, very sad.

Yesterday’s local fire here swept right up through sparse timber to edge of friend’s historic homestead ranch. House is maybe 80 ft from the tree line at edge of meadow. Fortunately first responders helped evac all the cattle and horses, left 20+ feral barn cats to fend for themselves. Kind of hard to herd cats.

This fire was the second one in same area in last three weekends attributed to target shooters. Word of advice? Have a beer after shooting and watch/wait for smoldering ricochets. If anything is smoking deploy your little personalized fire hose and attack the fire. Refill with more beer as necessary.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    admiral, Purple, Ken and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Glad you guys are ok. The needed rain brings mixed blessing including a chance for a bad fire season. I think we will be in for a bad one here in SoCal too.
    Ken and admiral like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Glad you all are safe, the plowed firebreak sure gives good defensible space.
    So sorry to hear of your neighbor’s losses, very sad.

Kind of hard to herd cats.

This fire was the second one in same area in last three weekends attributed to target shooters.

I saw some of this your wife posted of facebook. All this fire stuff is scary.

Herding the mules here was a little tricky too. They weren't in danger from the fire but we were afraid of them getting out after the BLM cut our fence. Originally, the mules were pretty nervous and kept to the opposite end of the pasture. Then they got curious which is when Lori kept mentioning to here dad about gathering them up so they couldn't get out. I was on my motorcycle and they kept trying to go in every corner and every direction of the pasture except where we wanted them to go. Lori in the jeep pops on the ATV and me on the TW finally got them to go in the right pasture.
    Fred, Ken, Dryden-Tdub and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Prayers for your friends and neighbors and a BIG THANK YOU JESUS for you guys!!
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and admiral like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks to the Admiral for having video that can be posted....most of the video I took couldn't be posted due to my swearing! oops!
    My dad got the fences repaired (so the mules can securely be curious). The fire department is still hanging out at the neighbors (The Pollock's) smoldering ash pile (what was their house) - my heart goes out to them as they lost everything.
    I'm hoping all the neighbors will learn from this and see how important it is to have a defensible space/fire break around their homes.
    I am very thankful for all the fire departments that responded and did what they could to save what they did.

Mel
    Having worked heavy equipment on many fires, I can sure attest to the fact, they are indiscriminate in what they burn. It is just a matter of material to burn. The self generated heat will ignite anything.
    Fire breaks are the salvation to covering you A** on wild fires. Glad to hear your loss was very limited do to good planning.
    Mel
    admiral, Ken and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links