Never, Ever Do This!
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By old w/??
  • 1 Post By drstimpy

Thread: Never, Ever Do This!

Never, Ever Do This!

Never take Doxycycline on an empty stomach.

Even with a full glass of water... Never Ever take Doxycycline on an empty stomach.

Even after taking Acidophilus to help... NEVER Ever take Doxycycline on an empty stomach.
    Even though the directions say to do it, NEVER EVER EVER take Doxycycline on an empty stomach.

Only thing I've found that helps is drinking a meal replacement shake with the pill, then eating no more than 6 crackers.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Sounds like no fun.
    It can have many common side effects, and the different versions seem to have different dosage recommendations as far as to eat, or not eat.
    It can also allow you to sunburn more readily in addition to the GI tract mis-adventures you are having.
    Hope you heal up soon.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sorry you are having issues but Doxy is a great antibiotic. It does affect people differently. I can take it standing on my head with a full or empty stomach but my wife has similar reactions to what you express. It is what they give us after a tick is found embedded on us to thwart off getting Lyme disease. This year has been so far the worst with tick up here in the NY mountains so I have been on doxy 3 times already and for 14 days at a time.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Leaves a terrible metallic taste in your mouth too...

Ok, where are all those people that say "Pics or it didn't happen"?

Sorry you're going through that.
    LuvNot likes this.

I've taken other biotics before and experienced a mild upset stomach or diarrhea, but I've never had one make me so violently ill. After the first bout, I started eating crackers with it, which helped, but still made me feel very nauseous. The second day I took it, I tried drinking a generic meal replacement shake with the idea it would be both the required amount of liquid, and coat my stomach, plus provide some nutrition if I could keep it down. That seemed to do the trick. A guy at work said he had to take acidophilus to help keep healthy digestion system (replace the gut bugs the doxy kills). I've been taking those now for several days and they seemed to help, so tonight I thought I'd try to just take the doxy + acidophilus and the required 8oz of water.

Nope. No good. No matter how much I tried to ride out the nausea, I wasn't going to make it. Normally, if I have to get rid of something in my gut, I can handle a 'one-&-done' quick exit. But this is gut clenching, diaphragm seizing, can't breathe, make it stop, vomiting. Luckily, it doesn't last more than three or four convulsions, but... ungh!... it's rough while it happens.

Oh well Only one more week of this stuff.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

That antibiotic is one of the nastier stomach killers. That's why I use amoxicillin for Lyme and ride out the longer course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Fred likes this.
    Some must watch while others must sleep.
    2013 TW 200
    2014 NC700x
    2016 k1600gt
    2016 TW 200

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    I've taken other biotics before and experienced a mild upset stomach or diarrhea, but I've never had one make me so violently ill. After the first bout, I started eating crackers with it, which helped, but still made me feel very nauseous. The second day I took it, I tried drinking a generic meal replacement shake with the idea it would be both the required amount of liquid, and coat my stomach, plus provide some nutrition if I could keep it down. That seemed to do the trick. A guy at work said he had to take acidophilus to help keep healthy digestion system (replace the gut bugs the doxy kills). I've been taking those now for several days and they seemed to help, so tonight I thought I'd try to just take the doxy + acidophilus and the required 8oz of water.

Nope. No good. No matter how much I tried to ride out the nausea, I wasn't going to make it. Normally, if I have to get rid of something in my gut, I can handle a 'one-&-done' quick exit. But this is gut clenching, diaphragm seizing, can't breathe, make it stop, vomiting. Luckily, it doesn't last more than three or four convulsions, but... ungh!... it's rough while it happens.

Oh well Only one more week of this stuff.
    You could very well just be allergic to this particular medication. You have not mentioned what you are taking it for and probably none of our business but I would discuss this with your doctor to see if there are other biotics that can get the job done.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    You could very well just be allergic to this particular medication. You have not mentioned what you are taking it for and probably none of our business but I would discuss this with your doctor to see if there are other biotics that can get the job done.

GaryL
    +1 I can't take doxy either. Hopefully you can switch. Take care LuvNot, m.

I've never tried it, or that acid awful us either.
    Phelonius

Sponosred Links