Comparing: Yamaha TW200 / WR250
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Comparing: Yamaha TW200 / WR250

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7vrQieIHE&hd=1[/media]
    Ride Along With Me On YouTube: Hidden Content

i dont think there is anything the same about these two bikes. ive ridden both of them and they are two different beast all together.

Its about like comparing a jeep rubicon to Ivan "ironman" Stewarts protruck. Its still a comparison though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    Its about like comparing a jeep rubicon to Ivan "ironman" Stewarts protruck. Its still a comparison though.

I like that
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

It's more of a review than a comparison ... I couldn't help comparing it to the TW. In some places I've been on top of mountains, I would take the TW hands down over the WR, and in most other places, I'd choose the WR.

My next bike will most likely be a 2012 WR250R (lowered 1")

Thanks for watching. Are you on YouTube? Subscribe?

Only stuff I could find about it over at adv was.....

My '06 Owners Manual says:

Competition use (Off Road)

-Oil Change Every fifth race or 1000km / 621 miles

-Valve check every third race or 500 km / 310 miles

General Use:

- Oil Change 3,000 km 1864 miles or 3 months then 5km / 3100 miles or 6 months

- Valve checks are the same as oil

These are race bikes, not dualsports. There are 5 titanium valves in there. If your looking for a bike to ride hard and put away wet look elsewhere. If you don't mind doing a preventative rebuild every few seasons then go nuts. Otherwise you'll pay through the nose when it seizes. If you really want a lightweight street legal race bike and don't mind the maintenance that comes with it then I'd be looking at something oranger. It's a shame that Honda did away with the XR's like they did. You know why they did though...they last too long!

Right off several Yamaha Dealers Websites

WR250R

Directly descended from our YZ motocrossers and WR motocross off-road machines

The all-new WR250R is here to make Yamaha’s off-road prowess street accessible.

Not exactly an enduro model and not a streetbike either, the WR250R is for riders who ride off-road more than on.Its sibling, the supermoto-inspired WR250X, is for riders who spend more time on pavement.

www.Topspeed.com had nice things to say about it but also said

If it is to make a short, but still proper introduction for the 2010 Yamaha WR250R, I would call it an off-road motorcycle with a headlight and mirrors.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKx2MQ1zd10&feature=related[/media]

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Competition use

General Use:

These are race bikes, not dualsports. There are 5 titanium valves in there. If your looking for a bike to ride hard and put away wet look elsewhere. If you don't mind doing a preventative rebuild every few seasons then go nuts. Otherwise you'll pay through the nose when it seizes. If you really want a lightweight street legal race bike and don't mind the maintenance that comes with it then I'd be looking at something oranger. It's a shame that Honda did away with the XR's like they did. You know why they did though...they last too long!

... huh? Actually, a dualsport is exactly what a WR250R is, well, according to Yamaha. (you know, those guys who make them)

Race bike? You mean, something like this?

If you know any serious WR owners you'll know how much they spend on maintenance... rings, pistons, seals, gaskets - not every year but every few months it seems. The WR is a offroad racebike with a few lights stuck on and it about 6" too high for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Competition use

General Use:

Quote Originally Posted by tw200sgp View Post
    If you know any serious WR owners you'll know how much they spend on maintenance... rings, pistons, seals, gaskets - not every year but every few months it seems. The WR is a offroad racebike with a few lights stuck on and it about 6" too high for me.

I think you guys must be talking about the WR250F model or something. The WR250R and WR250X have proven to be pretty reliable bikes other than a few problems with fuel pumps on the early 2008 models, and eating chain guides if the chain isn't tensioned properly. Big Dog, dualsporter extrordinaire has over 32,000 miles on his, with over 7,000 on his trip to Alaska. You can check out his mods to the 250R here, and his ride reports, most of them on the WR250R here. Even the 250X, intended to be a road bike has been dual sported. Scotty, Rydnseek on ADV has put knobbies on his WR250X and ridden it hard. You can check out his blog here. Pretty much everything I've read about the WR250R and X has been positive. I would have one if they weren't so expensive, but it would be in addition to the TW, not instead of.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Last year i did the hoosier national forest ride and i ended up riding with bigdog and roaddad from advrider both of them have wr250's roadads bike had over 31,000 miles and bigdogs had over 27,000 miles and the only things they ever had to do are mentioned above in b-dubs post. Valve adjustment around 16,000-18,000 miles i believe. Im here to say that both of those guys ride the piss out of their bikes. They are two of the fastest guys ive ever ridden with despite being 60+ years old. Definitely solid bikes. I believe i remember them saying they have more electrical output than their klr's which would be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links