South Utah Vacation
Close
    My wife and I are planning on a vacation around the June time frame. Planning to visit a bunch of the parks in Utah. Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches.

Looking for additional local info on "Should not miss" scenery or sites that are not as commonly found in the guide books. Likely not bringing the TW this trip, so not really looking for riding/ride in areas.

Any info would be great.

Thanks ahead of time.
    2008 TW200

2007 Triumph Scrambler (Sold)

Stay in Kanab, Ut

Go to Toroweap. Google it.
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What will you be riding/driving? Are you planning to stick to the pavement, or get into the dirt?
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Will likely be in my truck. Easily capable of offroad work. But in the interests of time we will probably not plan on extended rough off roading. Figuring on about 8-10 days total for the trip.
    2008 TW200

2007 Triumph Scrambler (Sold)

If you do justice to each of the parks you've mentioned that will take you awhile.

I'll just throw out some ideas, but before I do let me mention that Highway 12 from Panguitch to Escalante, Boulder, etc. is very scenic and shouldn't be missed if you haven't travelled that way before. Highway 89 is also quite pretty, but can be kind of busy, too.

Steve's recommendation of Toroweap is a good one, although it may be kind of warm in June. A little further east is the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park which is higher in elevation and therefore cooler, but more crowded as well.

I would consider picking up Great Basin National Park and nearby Lehman Caves on the way into Utah. Or, if you're taking I-80 east and you like the desert you could drop down from Wendover to Ibapah and pick up the Pony Express trail east to Highway 6, or even I-15.

If you enter Zion from the west, a drive up over Smith's Mesa is recommended. It gives you a different perspective of Zion National Park and is quite scenic.

If you exit Zion to the east you can drop down 89 to the Coral Pink Sand Dunes then on to Highway 389 and over to Toroweap. From Toroweap there's a couple of scenic roads that traverse the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument to Highway 12. One takes off 89 near Paria and ends at Cannonville. You'll want to take this one if you want to pick up Bryce Canyon. The Smoky Mountain Road takes off from Big Water near Lake Powell and goes directly to Escalante.

There's a lot to see in the Escalante area. You can take a road (out and back) about 60 miles to the Hole in the Rock, where early pioneers dropped their wagons into the Colorado River canyon. There's quite a story behind that.

The Boulder Mountains north of Escalante are beautiful, and a lot of good fishing opportunities. The stretch of highway between Escalante and Boulder is really beautiful. That should put you in the vicinity of Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, etc. It's been awhile since I've spent much time over there. I would like to do the White Rim Trail this year. In the past I've done Beef Basin, where there are a lot of Indian Ruins. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Burr Trail. You should be able to Google any of the places I've mentioned to get more information.

Anyway, I hope that gives you something to think about. If you would like more details about any of this just let me know, and I'll do what I can to help you out. Don't be like me and try to cram too much in. Just take your time and enjoy it, and come back later to enjoy some more. Also, take plenty of water and stay hydrated.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Sponosred Links