• 3 Post By littletommy
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By Bobo413
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By phelonius
  • 3 Post By mhomadness

Thread: Making my Rokon usable

Making my Rokon usable

Well I have cured a lot of the headaches that are built into the Rokon.
    1. and the biggest one, I removed ALL the front wheel capability from it.
    That means removed the front Spyder gear and drive shaft mechanisms. This means that all of the break downs traceable to the front drive system do not exist anymore. That means no more roll pin breakage in that system that would leave me stranded for an hour or so then limping home at 6 mph and stopping along the way as it would break again.
    This had the added benefit of being able to re align the front wheel in the steering system thus greatly reducing the front steering head shake. It was impossible to do this because of the chain drive system. But without the drive system, I no longer have to worry about the sprocket alignments.
    The whole machine is nearly in alignment now, much smoother.
    With all the times of having the machine apart and together I solved another chronic problem. It used to leave me stranded with no ability to run the engine.
    This was due to fuel starvation. I had to bypass a portion of the over complicated carb because it was causing this problem. In addition I found that the main fuel line was made of something that congealed and stopped fuel flow. New fuel lines stopped that. I even sanded and repainted the headlight. Rusty ball of poop it was and only a year and a half old.
    Well without the drag of the front wheel drive it is almost responsive and drives like a giant minibike with a sidecar, which is what it actually is.
    It still only goes 34 mph but in this small town that gets me there. At least it seems to be almost dependable. Only time will tell.
    I actually thought seriously about just lighting it on fire, my frustration as so bad. But now I can actually use it, sort of.
    Phelonius

Great news Phelonius. I know it has been so frustrating for you.
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and Jon62602 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good news. That front drive system seemed inefficient and unreliable for the machine’s stated purpose.
    Ken, Jon62602 and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thinking back when I was a kid , my Father marveled at the sight of the Rokon crawling around a motocross track.
    My first thought was I had a hard enough time keeping one drive chain on my mini bike & that thing had one for each wheel, forget that. Lol
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    2005 Yamaha TW200
    2003 Kawasaki KLR650
    1995 BMW R100GSPD Classic
    1983 Honda CT110
    1984 Honda CT110

Congrats on finding a way to make some lemonade out of what you thought was a lemon .

A slow lemon. Very slow! If I aligned the sprockets the way people usually do they were out of alignment with forward movements of the machine.
    Yes, the front wheel drive was a great Idea, poorly executed with old tech that has been dropped by other makers 70 years ago. The way it spits out roll pins from sprocket drives
    became monotonous.
    littletommy likes this.
    Phelonius

I have had the privilege of knowing a small handful of extremely talented mechanics in my life.

One was a Vietnam era helicopter mechanic who reserved a "Special" phrase for when someone pulled off the seemingly impossible, or at least unlikely mechanical accomplishment: "You turned horse sh*t into ice cream!" He would exclaim.

That, was the highest form of praise! 34mph might seem slow, but you're still king of the road! Enjoy the ride! m.

Sponosred Links