TV's
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV's

A while back I gave my TV away. Friends thought I lost my nut. Well, there wasn't much on of interest anyway. I got a lot more done without it that is for sure.

Today I got to thinking. I remember when we got our first color TV, it was big brown box. Had two wires sticking out the back called rabbit ears. With a bunch of fiddling and some tin foil you could get 3 stations fairly clear. I don't remember the shows sucking and what was better than Saturday morning cartoons?

So anyway, recently I moved into a place that had a room that would make a great media center. I went all out. Massive 3D plasma TV, sound absorbing wall treatments, an amplifier and speakers that would make Van Halen cringe, huge reclining seats, diming lights, satelite dish, home theater pc, blue ray player. I can watch and record 6 shows at a time, in two different rooms, picture in a picture, over 2TB of hard drive storage, internet streaming, I can watch things I've recorded on my phone while on vacation.

What is the point? Everything on TV still pretty much sucks, only now it is bigger, louder, in 3D and I can suffer through it whenever and wherever I want.

Quite frankly I spend more time on this forum and on my TW. Thanks for being there! Ya'll rock. Now get out and ride!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Well I just got back from my usual saturday morning ride, and I couldn't agree with you more. We moved last year and decided no cable, no tv. I don't miss it a bit. I get my news from the internet and my wife watches movies on netflix. My son loves 70's cartoons that he can access on line. I have no idea what is going on with current tv programming and I'm completely happy with that.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    ...Everything on TV still pretty much sucks, only now it is bigger, louder, in 3D and I can suffer through it whenever and wherever I want...

Dear n202diver:

You are getting old! TV is for people under the age of 25 who want to know how to be as "abnormal" as the people they see on TV. Your TW will provide the dose of "true" reality that TV watching (and flying airplanes upside down) distorts. If there was a way to get my ESPN-fix everyday, I'd do the same thing...although on a less grand scale. HA!

Your therapist in Georgia.
    2008 TW200: 14T/47T, 122-link KMC O-Ring Chain, Jimbo C Shield, wide pegs, factory rear rack, Pro Taper ATV High bars, G2 handguards, MSR shift lever, QuadBoss saddlebags.

I do not own any stock and I do not owe anyone anything, except perhaps an open mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWiumph View Post
    Dear n202diver:

You are getting old! TV is for people under the age of 25 who want to know how to be as "abnormal" as the people they see on TV. Your TW will provide the dose of "true" reality that TV watching (and flying airplanes upside down) distorts. If there was a way to get my ESPN-fix everyday, I'd do the same thing...although on a less grand scale. HA!

Your therapist in Georgia.

That there's pretty funny TWerapist!

As I [s]got[/s] get older, even my ESPN need waned. Perhaps because I have to watch everything in closed caption in order to hear it!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    ...I have to watch everything in closed caption in order to hear it!

Admiral, you're not alone about the sound quality on today's TVs. It is as bad as the content.
    2008 TW200: 14T/47T, 122-link KMC O-Ring Chain, Jimbo C Shield, wide pegs, factory rear rack, Pro Taper ATV High bars, G2 handguards, MSR shift lever, QuadBoss saddlebags.

I do not own any stock and I do not owe anyone anything, except perhaps an open mind.

"DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!!

Daddy, what's a dial?
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I don't have cable, I still rock the rabbit ears. I get to travel for work from time to time and if I have time I surf a few cable channels in a hotel...and realize I'm not missing anything or the financial setback of cable/satellite monthly service. There are times I would like it, but it's so few and far between that I do just fine without. I actually really enjoy PBS with the rabbit ears, you can actually learn something on that channel. Otherwise I'm in the garage with the radio on...and missing the oldies music as they don't play that stuff on FM anymore (and I'm in my 20's!!). Satellite radio might actually be worth it to me...
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I also need a new TV, my 20 year old one quit. I have a pretty good idea on what I [s]need[/s],[s]should have[/s], want....but there just doesn't seen to be enough on to justify the expense. A lot of the shows that I like have vanished, like Superbikes and a couple of the RV shows. I guess it's more side of the road, CRT TV shopping, until TV gets better-or I give up on it. Seems like we're all in the same boat. OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

My brother an I was the remote an a pipe wrench is how you fine tuned the 3 channels.We don"t have cable just what comes free through the air.

I must be the only tv lovin' nerd on the board. 99 percent of tv is crap, I fill up my DVR with the other 1 percent and watch the heck out of it!

Sadly I watch more cartoons than all my kids combined.

Last ep of "House" tonight just sayin.....
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links