POND servicing
Close

Thread: POND servicing

So long story longer, I have an acre and a half pond at my place, approx 420,000 gals. The previous owner used Karmex chemical to treat it for years. We found out that it was illegal to use in water ways that might flow or feed another water way. So, we tried other safer methods to try to cut back on the algae. We used shading color, with copper sulfate. It helped some but did take care of the problem. We want to do away with chemical treatment as it is a swimming and fishing pond. I now someone out there has some experience with this as there is a plethora of knowledge on this forum.

Do barely bales help? If so how many and what other treatment. We will continue to use shading color because we like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    So long story longer, I have an acre and a half pond at my place, approx 420,000 gals. The previous owner used Karmex chemical to treat it for years. We found out that it was illegal to use in water ways that might flow or feed another water way. So, we tried other safer methods to try to cut back on the algae. We used shading color, with copper sulfate. It helped some but did take care of the problem. We want to do away with chemical treatment as it is a swimming and fishing pond. I now someone out there has some experience with this as there is a plethora of knowledge on this forum.

Do barely bales help? If so how many and what other treatment. We will continue to use shading color because we like the look.

I have had 1 acre for over 15 years. I am curious if you have algae or pond weeds/grass ?

if it is algae, then what are you worried about ? It is perfectly normal to have algae blooms.

Please let me know.

Revolverman.
    The older I get, the more I realize it's easier to be kind in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolverman View Post
    I have had 1 acre for over 15 years. I am curious if you have algae or pond weeds/grass ?

if it is algae, then what are you worried about ? It is perfectly normal to have algae blooms.

Please let me know.

Revolverman.

It is algae, it has overtook the pond last year to the point it has impossible to fish/swim and would heat up the pond to the point of several catfish/large bass was killed. It is called Filamentous Algae. It covered 3/4 of the top of the pond and grew heavily in the shallow regions. I have some grass/reeds around edge put the bottom is pretty clear of weeds. It is 9ft deep in the deepest. For 10yrs the pond was clear of algae/weeds. If not gotten under control it can take over and kill all the fish since it acts as a solar heat panel and it deprives the O2 from the water.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We're on a 45 arce pond and experience other issues with invasive water plants (Cabomba) that we treat annually with non hazardous chemicals approved by the state but, in your case, I was always under the impression that Algae was a product of sunlight reaching the bottom of the pond, thus stimulating growth. Remove/diminish the light and you kill the algae. I also thought that you could use the algae as a compost if raked from the pond and allowed to dry out. Punch in "filamentous Algae" and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of possible remedies or at least some ways of possibly control it. Good luck

Once they drilled by our pond and turned up a lot of ground lime. I doubt it's safe for a runoff source, but we dumped it in and it kinda weighed down the algae and killed it off for a year. I also spent a lot of my youth in waders pulling out cat tails. I can't remember what we used to treat it with, but it required a monthly trip in the rowboat and a sprayer.

It's nearly a losing fight, man.

Is your water clear ? I have noticed the clearer the water, the more algae blooms and grass there seems to be.

I bought a otterbine aeriator almost 20 years ago and run it all summer for 12 hours per day and so far my pond, which is 12 ft deep on the deep end, seems to do better because it makes the water dingy because of it moving around and therefore grass can not grow as easily as it can in clear.

If it were mine, I would stay away from chemicals, even if it meant more algae. I don't trust that stuff and for sure would not swim in it even if the biologist said it was safe.

You might consider draining and dig it deeper to prevent sunlight from reaching the bottom any where.

Good luck.

Revolverman.
    The older I get, the more I realize it's easier to be kind in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolverman View Post
    Is your water clear ? I have noticed the clearer the water, the more algae blooms and grass there seems to be.

I bought a otterbine aeriator almost 20 years ago and run it all summer for 12 hours per day and so far my pond, which is 12 ft deep on the deep end, seems to do better because it makes the water dingy because of it moving around and therefore grass can not grow as easily as it can in clear.

If it were mine, I would stay away from chemicals, even if it meant more algae. I don't trust that stuff and for sure would not swim in it even if the biologist said it was safe.

You might consider draining and dig it deeper to prevent sunlight from reaching the bottom any where.

Good luck.

Revolverman.

Thanks for the info. We are considering a fountain in the near future. So far the algae have died out with the copper sulfate treatment and the aqua blue dye. The water gets clear when we do not color it. It is just a light blue thou. We do not like the green/blue look. Can't dig any deeper do to too many sand pockets that would drain the pond. Key is to get at it early, but do to the heavy storms we have had in Indiana early treatment was near impossible as the water rain into the overflow and would have defeated the purpose.

Sponosred Links