garage/project organization
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: garage/project organization

garage/project organization

1st thing I put up last night:

It's one of those magnetic knife things people have in their kitchen. Got this at a yard sale for $2. Wife has a hangup about knives being visible due to our oldest being a climber. Decided to use it in the garage for a place to stick tools during projects. Could also place parts there so long as they are magnetic. I might undo it and run it horizontally, as round things like screwdrivers don't seem to want to stay as easily (roll).

2nd/3rd:

My small parts/screw bins. One on left is empty. Idea is to place any and every screw/small part in the order it is taken off. That way I cannot get confused about the order of putting it back on.

magnet2.PNG

Next will be the wooden shelves.

I also ordered 4 of these today:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 for the boys' stuff and 2 for me. One will go in the garage and one will go in the basement. Will be interesting to see how many thousands of rounds one of these shelves can hold.
    Last edited by CS1983; 07-27-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    Ken, dette, blowingupjake and 4 others like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

Good stuff! Im a dork for organization. My reloading room looked like a badass dream before i had to pack it all into a storage unit. Not coming out till i buy a house. Never putting that much effort out again till i know i wont be going anywhere for a while.
    Hoot Gibson, CS1983, Ken and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Good stuff! Im a dork for organization. My reloading room looked like a badass dream before i had to pack it all into a storage unit. Not coming out till i buy a house. Never putting that much effort out again till i know i wont be going anywhere for a while.
    I hear ya. I have a bunch of reloading gear that I haven't unpacked since the move. Kinda don't need it now that I've moved to a .22LR AR for training and have a bunch of factory loads for full power shooting. My time is severely limited between school, work and family, so reloading to save a few bucks isn't in the mix.
    Hoot Gibson and Dryden-Tdub like this.

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I hate those plastic drawer units for storing smalls. I have them in my shop and on my basement work bench and spend more time searching for that screw I know for sure I have. At a yard sale I gave a dollar for a dozen small plastic boxes I think baby wipes came in and now use them exclusively and label them with a sharpie. Nuts, Washers, Sheet metal Screws, metric screws and such. Works much better than those little drawers.

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'm in the middle of finishing the drywall in my 2 car garage, and I have been planning organization in the garage afterwards.
    Here's some pics of ideas I'm going to incorporate:
    IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I hate those plastic drawer units for storing smalls. I have them in my shop and on my basement work bench and spend more time searching for that screw I know for sure I have. At a yard sale I gave a dollar for a dozen small plastic boxes I think baby wipes came in and now use them exclusively and label them with a sharpie. Nuts, Washers, Sheet metal Screws, metric screws and such. Works much better than those little drawers.

GaryL
    I just keep things in their labeled drawer... sounds like maybe you're applying organization to the baby wipe boxes but not the drawers?

I like to use lateral filing cabinets .... they make great POU lockers and storage for fluids, corded power tools etc.

They can be found cheap on craigslist and are very sturdy and stable.
    Last edited by Heli-Mech; 07-28-2017 at 08:31 AM.

And you call your self men? A real man does not set his shop up like a ladies sewing room. No a real man has a mess and when he can't find something goes out and buys a new one. He may in fact find out later there were six of what ever laying under an old news paper but that's what being a REAL MAN is all about!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    And you call your self men? A real man does not set his shop up like a ladies sewing room. No a real man has a mess and when he can't find something goes out and buys a new one. He may in fact find out later there were six of what ever laying under an old news paper but that's what being a REAL MAN is all about!!!!
    LOL. A good friend is a real man then. He doesn't go buy a new one though.

"Sam, where's the 14mm deep socket?"
    "Check under the sock in the corner of the garage"
    "What..."

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    OMG so true... I'm not the Toolman for nothing. I have 2 of many tools, some of them, 4!!.. I put things away TO well, can't find that item 6 months later. Organized clutter. Same is true for all by mountain bike tools. Had to buy a large RubberMaid Closet, and I still can't find things.

But I think one of my biggest peeves/problems is keeping things I could throw away, but can't bear to throw away..Like a hoarder "I will need it SOMEDAY!!", but likely never.
    Last edited by ToolmanJohn; 07-28-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links