4x8 TW hauler- camping trailer
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: 4x8 TW hauler- camping trailer

4x8 TW hauler- camping trailer

I have been thinking about getting one of those Harbor Freight flatbed trailers and building a camping trailer that will also haul my TW. I want to ride in some nice areas in West Virginia but I don't want to ride my TW all the way there. All I am looking for is something I can pull into a campground,roll the bike out,inflate the air bed and know that I have a dry,comfortable place to sleep. At this point what I am seeing in my mind is something with a door in the rear and a bench or box along one side that I can push the bike against and secure the bike to. This way the weight of the bike would be centered. When the bike is out the bench converts into a platform for the air bed. I like teardrop campers but I am thinking that a simple rectangular shape would allow me to put small stake sides on the top for firewood or anything else that I don't want in the trailer. My main design criteria would be light weight and minimalist. I was hoping to tow it with a Toyota RAV4. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm wondering it that Harbor Freight trailer is up to the task and I am debating what material to use but I am thinking1/4" ply with one layer of fiberglass set in epoxy. So any advice would be appreciated. If I do this I can post the progress in case any one else wants to build one.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum is for you. I built a teardrop once, sold it after about 7 years and 3000 miles towing and tons of fun! Next one might be somewhat of a toy hauler as you suggest. Here's the site: Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers ? Index page

I want to build myself something like that as well ,and can only suggest you spend some time on the teardrop trailer sites to see the various methods of building it .I would think that a squared off teardrop is pretty much what you want ,without the rear kitchen and with a rear loading door .The 1/4" ply would be fine ,but you really want some insulation or you will either cook or freeze to death ,some cross ventilation ,and anything else you might desire .The epoxy is nice ,but expensive ,normal polyester resin will work just fine ,paint it so the uv doesn't kill it .I would think your bike weighs close to 300 lbs wet ,5 sheets of plywood probably another 100 lbs ,so realistically your trailer might end up under 1000 lbs. packed and ready to go so your harbour freight trailer should work just fine .
    I have considered fibreglass ,but think I will try to find somebody scrapping a camper trailer and use the aluminum skin off of that .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

BTW, to answer a couple of your questions, I built mine on a 990 lb capacity HF trailer, it was more than adequate, and should be for yours too. Doesn't have to be teardrop shaped, just a box more or less, maybe a little slope on the front end for aesthetics and will also help mpg if you're pulling with small car or 4-banger. Wood construction will allow mods later if you choose, such as carpeted walls and ceiling because they do have a tendency to fog up esp in humid conditions, so insulation is good. Can also run simple wiring with an outlet or two for 20 amp "shore power" at any campground.
    Joecabinetti and littletommy like this.

Yes ,good ventilation is a must.we tent camp a lot and the condensation seems to be a bigger problem than the cold

In temps under 20F I've run a little box heater all night with the windows open. Super comfy and hey, it works! People have been known to suffocate in teardrops, although extremely rare, you do need ventilation in such a small space.

See my Avatar, then I'll try to post some larger and more detailed pics.

I started with a 4 x 8 trailer with partial 16" high side rails, then built a 4' high shell which is removable. Inside I have storage lockers on both sides at the front and a swing out chuck box at the rear. With the TW removed a sleeping platform rests on the lockers and a rail. The shell was made from 5/8" plywood and skinned with FRP (Fiberglass reinforced plastic) from Home Depot. The roof spars are 3/4" EMT.

The TW is loaded with a ramp thru the rear barn doors. It is secured with a self locking chock for the front wheel and ratchet straps at the rear. It is a tight fit and the low overhead prevents walking it in all the way so I added a pair of guide rails on the floor. It can be loaded/unloaded by grabbing the cycle-rack until it clears the barn doors.

Once loaded there is additional room for gear on either side on top of the lockers and the floor. I also have a tongue rack for fuel and water. I removed the stock mirrors for clearance and usually just use a bike mirror which attaches to the left hand guard with Velcro. As you can see the saddlebags remain on. The two sliding windows on either side came from an old pick-up topper.

There are not many suitable riding areas where I live in North Texas so usually trailer the TW then camp out for several days.

I was already using the 4 x 8 trailer with just side-rails, then for a while added a clam-shell tear-drop roof but left the sides open. The roof supported a tarp for shade and rain and there were boxes along each side for storage and chuck.

Sounds like a great build, please give us the details of the build report. You might look at InTech RV trailers. They are very pricey but would give you some ideas for a toyhauler / cargo build. Good luck!
    littletommy and Joecabinetti like this.

Last edited by M C Toyer; 08-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links