The Zuma 125
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Zuma 125

My buddy Walt and I both have TW200's that we ride up in the hills, Walt also had a couple Zuma 50 cc scooters that his family rides around camp. His dog Jasper has ridden on the Zumas since he was about 3 months old. My dog Reno loves riding in the golf cart, she'll ride on my snowmobile, but she wouldn't get near my TW. Back in January i picked up an old Honda Elite 80 to put around on. with a little coaxing i got her on it. She was a little apprehensive at first but after about a half mile she was loving it. Now the problem with the Honda is it has title issues and can't be licensed so I decided to get a new toy that Reno will ride on and i can go out on the street with that will still handle taking in the woods. After looking at a few scooters i find the Zuma 125, which is a 4 stroke and fuel injected. What a great little bike. Plenty of power, smooth and quiet. Yesterday Walt and I decided to ride the scooters up to Peoh Point Here in Cle Elum, Wa. It is about a 12 mile ride up dirt roads and goes from 2,000' up to about 4500' at the top. Walts 50 did get a little altitude sickness near the top, but the 125 ran like a trooper all the way up with no noticeable power loss at all. I even rode it up a goat trail around a washout without any trouble, we did have to push the 50 up the trail as it was ailing at that point. I just had to share with you guys what a great little machine this is. Would also be perfect for those gals that want to go up in the hills but don't know how to clutch and shift.

2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

1993 Shadow 1100 with Ural sidecar

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

Nice to know. I spend some time every day looking for another project that will get me back to wrenching and back out in the dirt...... A week ago I called a fellow that was selling an 07 Ural. Soon after I realized I don't have a job and likely can't afford $7,500.

All I generally do is ride simple 'dirt'. I go slow, listen to the birds and smell the pines. Not sure what the 'perfect' rig would be for me. Am real happy with the TW now. In the beginning the TW suspension was just to harsh to enjoy given the many hours I would spend on the tails. For me, the TW now seems pretty 'dialed in', but the flip side of 'that' coin is, I am no longer compelled to mod. I enjoy making changes to what I have, it is as much fun as riding.

Rokons seem really neat but are heavy and certainly can't do what those "Trials" bikes seem to do. I don't hunt, and as well, don't think my infrastructure would handle (well) a fall from atop a 6' rock. What is a fellow to do? Maybe I should consider a move in this direction........ Gerry

http://www.motopeds.com/
    Take care my Friend.........

Hi Gerry, my only complaint on the Zuma is the suspension, or lack of. it rides pretty harsh on the pot holes. but it's really nice not to have to shift and clutch. The seat on the other hand almost makes up for the harsh suspension and the storage under the seat is amazing. The 125cc Zuma came out in 09, the 50cc Zumas which are 2 strokes have been around since 99 i believe. The 50 cc has a smoother suspension but it's not as sturdy either and no where near the power. Plus the 50 stinks. Either Zuma is very capable on the dirt roads but the 50 seams to run out of beans as you gain altitude. I wouldn't trade my TW for a Zuma, I just bought it so my dog can go with me once in a while. She loves it and when i asked the sheriff if it was legal he said he didn't know of any laws against it.
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have had a few of the 2-stroke 50cc Zumas and they are a lot of fun and very dependable. They also are capable of carrying more weight than competing 50cc scooters.

My guess is that the 2012 4-stroke Zuma 50F should be able to handle the altitude changes more easily since it is fuel-injected vs. carbureted like the older model 2-stroke Zumas.

Zuma 125cc scooters have fuel injection which may have helped during the elevation change during your recent ride.

I love my TW, but sometimes twist-and-go can be a lot of easy fun.

Would be fun to have the zuma 125 to take with the tw in back of my pickup when traveling so me and GF could "scoot" around and explore. of course would be on paved or easy dirt roads only.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

The Zuma is just as much fun to ride as the TW, it's just different. The girls should love it. The Zuma is very capable on any dirt road as long as it's not muddy due to the tire pattern. Rocky roads are a little bumpy thoughiIt should do fine on trails too as long as you're not trying to do steep hill climbs with it I haven't ridden the 4 stroke 50cc so i can't say about the power. The 125 has plenty of power for a scooter and will scratch 60 mph on the flat with 200 lbs of me on it. If that isn't good enough, I've seen big bore and crank kits that will get them up to 240cc. Another nice feature is the motor is really quiet in the Zuma. Not the rattly clunky sounding old washing machine motor the TW has. maybe it's just me, but my TW's motor sounds horrible, it has a little over 900 miles on it, had the valves adjusted by dealer at 600 miles , the valve clatter and piston slap sounds like riding an old Triumph or Beezer. It's not real reassuring taking it 30 or 40 miles back in the woods. Anyone interested in one should be able to pick up a nice one for under $2k. It appears some dealers still New 09 models sitting on the floor. My guess for that is the 125cc requires a M/C endorsement where the 50cc doesn't. I bought my 125 with 802 miles on it in perfect condition for $2K.
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

I rode a 50cc 2 stroke Zuma all last winter without a lick of trouble, ever.

Rode it a lot with a passenger with surprisingly little lost of power (meaning, I could still get up to almost 40).

Probably the most fun, reliable, and all around useful scoot out there.

Sorry I traded it in when I got the TW.

Probably gonna get rid of a beater truck I have, and was thinking of trying to trade for a Zuma 125.

Most Americans just don't seem to get how convenient scooters are for most of the driving we do....

Scooters are grand! I'd probably be happier with a 50cc 4-stroke scooter than a TW these days. I live about 1.1 mile from my shop, 0.3 from work, main drag downtown is 0.4, and the newer business area out on the bypass (Rural King, Walmart, convenience stores and eateries) is 1.1 miles down a nicely paved no-motor-vehicles greenway trail that begins 250 yards from home. Doctors, hospital, dentist, motels are all within 1.5 miles of the other end of the greenway, and all directions have nice, wide paved shoulders. Highest speed limit I see these days is 45mph, but I put more miles on the Scwhinn than anything else. Even at 132mpg (claimed), it'd take a long time to pay of the $2590 price, especially since all scooters require licensing and insurance here.

Kenda, Shinko, and Michelin make fairly aggressive dualsport tires for under $40. Several others priced around $50.

That's so cool that you take your dog along on your scooter. He/she is lucky to have such a great owner! Rock on man!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I used to have a Honda Ruckus 50cc four stroke (2007). It was a lot of fun. Not real useable even around town due to topping out at 40mph red-lined. But a great little toy for cruising slowly around flat dirt roads.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links