Mother Nature’s Revenge
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Mother Nature’s Revenge

Mother Nature’s Revenge

This year sure has been a busy one as far as nature doing dramatic and destructive things. Who hasn’t a story of weather related hardships of the wet, windy, dry and/or flaming events?
    i could make jokes about the irony of a recent wildfire that broke out just behind my local fire station and somehow burned across an irrigation canal...

However with 40 mph gusts anticipated this one blowing towards town has folks nervous. They just started attacking it with air assets before the winds exceeds safety limits...

At least the hurricanes are going to make this a good year for yacht sales. Waste disposal firms and plywood vendors will post good returns next few quarters too.
    Purple, admiral, Ken and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Ken
    You are correct Fred. I remember some of your hardships from all that water washing away your roads to your house, your picnic area etc. I think the USA took enough of a hit this year. I hope this is a once in a lifetime happening of tragedies this year.
    Donzo, littletommy and SanDue like this.

My prayers to those adversely affected.
    I'm lucky this isn't burning in my direction... yet. Not much progress in last two hours. No easy ground crew access and strong winds seem to have grounded aircraft for the moment.

Found out aircraft were diverted to combat another wild fire a few miles away that is threatening homes and causing evacuations. My local fire burning in heavy timber will understandably receive less attention in the coming days.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fred; 09-18-2017 at 06:15 PM.
    littletommy, Ken and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

fires are only going to get worse... whether because of drier conditions (read climate change) and/or increasing number of people living closer and embedded in forested areas.

they had an interview with a woman in houston, her house was in a 1 in 500 flood zone.... and she had been flooded 3x in the last 5 yrs. but hey, no zoning in houston!

i know it's somewhat hypocritical living in california and knowing someday the big one is going to hit us, but people that keep rebuilding hurricane after hurricane, flood after flood... somethings should be bought out or prohibited.
    littletommy, Fred, Ken and 3 others like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ken
    There are some beautiful areas in Houston in flood zones. Now I think everything is a flood zone. One big problem was they built houses in the reservoirs. The other big issue are home owner associations. There's about 5 acres close to me in a flood zone I would love to have. I would build it up about 12' in the air and have an elevated parking area for the big rains. I would also have at minimum a johnboat and engine readily available for transportation. This however would devalue other homes so it isn't allowed. I thought 3 floods in 2 years in your house devalues your house.

That is the age old question, how close is too close? We all tend to like what we like so lake side, river side, ocean side or in the woods are highly desirable locations for our homes. Those are also often in the flood and fire zones. Here where I am I have both water close by and lots of big trees real close yet my house is not considered to be in either a flood or fire zone. In the past 8 years we have had 2 big floods and both came dangerously close to my house and both times flooded my basement plus took out the bridges and culverts keeping us with no access either in or out to get to town. Just across the road we had a pretty big forest fire started by loggers that took 3 days to get under control but never got near our house. Had they started that fire on my side of the road my house would have been toast based on the wind direction at that time. Insurance is never enough and I seriously doubt I could even buy or afford flood insurance here. When I look around at everything I own it becomes super apparent I could never replace it all with the dollar amount of insurance I do have. I call it DID-DID, damned if I do and Damned if I don't. My property has never actually flooded and there has never been a real big forest fire here that burned any of the close homes but it damn sure could happen at any time. How much insurance to buy is always the big unknown. Money thrown away for every year we survive untouched but well spent and totally inadequate when and if it ever does happen.

My neighbor has lived right here all his life and is 93. He has never seen a flood or forest fire that took any homes here but about 10 years ago while he was in Florida his home was robbed and the thief's torched it as they left. Burned it to the ground and he was way under insured as far as the contents went but the home itself was covered and rebuilt. They got caught and spent 7 years in prison but he lost a lifetime of personal possessions that can never be replaced. None of us ever really think that deep but just for fun look in your clothes closets and dresser drawers and try to put a real dollar replacement cost on what is in them if you had to go out and buy it all new today.

GaryL
    joeband, Ken, Xracer and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I think people should be allowed to live wherever they want, but not expect to be bailed out by me if they loose thier homes if they live on the beach, flood plain etc... at least Houston has economic value, many areas are populated just becuase of weather or scenery (FL, much of the East and West Coast). Again, no problem with people living there, but if you can't insure it, the banks wont lend, then pay cash and be ready to absorb the loss, I don't owe to rebuild your house.
    littletommy, Fred, elime and 1 others like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwings View Post
    I think people should be allowed to live wherever they want, but not expect to be bailed out by me if they loose thier homes if they live on the beach, flood plain etc... at least Houston has economic value, many areas are populated just becuase of weather or scenery (FL, much of the East and West Coast). Again, no problem with people living there, but if you can't insure it, the banks wont lend, then pay cash and be ready to absorb the loss, I don't owe to rebuild your house.
    I think I have to agree with you Matt. Government needs to step up and repair the infrastructure but has no business rebuilding any private homes or businesses. I am OK with low interest loans to private individuals but not OK with free hand outs from all the rest of our dimes.

GaryL
    littletommy and SanDue like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

way up here..lol northwesteren ontario we have been lucky not to have big weather problems but the rains have really chaged a lot . we seem to be getting big down pours , but being a small town there is enough mother nature here to take it all in... so far so good...
    littletommy and SanDue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by neckless View Post
    way up here..lol northwesteren ontario we have been lucky not to have big weather problems but the rains have really chaged a lot . we seem to be getting big down pours , but being a small town there is enough mother nature here to take it all in... so far so good...
    Funny how we have all been led to believe the weather patterns have changed. A quick look back at the weather records over the past 100 years tells a different story and pretty much derails this whole climate change garbage being shoved down our throats and up our collective asses in the form of big money going to the exact wrong pockets. Back in the early 1950s as a kid living in this same general area we often got numerous big heavy snow storms of well over 2-3 feet at a time. Then we went through a few decades where we didn't get those big storms very often at all and instead a lot of much smaller storms but they all tended to equal very similar amounts of annual snow totals. In the past few years we are getting back to some monster storms and real heavy rain totals but again, just cycles like in the past. You can call me a climate change denier but you would be wrong. I just refuse to believe it is our fault or that anything throwing big money at will make any real change. When I see Al Gore and his crew going to England on a wind powered sailing ship instead of in his jet I might take a second look. This whole theory of "Do as I say but not as I do" can kiss my ass!

GaryL
    goldenhtr, littletommy and SanDue like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links