Riding Season Is Now Over For Me
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Well in two weeks I will be going to the Seattle Cancer Clinic for about 5 to 7 weeks for tests and 'Stem Cell Harvesting".

So the bikes are going to be put away and partially winterized and then around Thanksgiving I will finish those projects provided I'm strong enough.

I will be monitoring the site and lurking mostly but primarily I will be replanning my Washington to Minnesota trip which I plan to ride starting mid July or so.

I was able to ride about 6000 plus miles this summer and about 2500 was on dirt/gravel roads (all be it quite slow). The cancer has caused two of my vertebrae to completely collapse and sometime in the future I will have to have surgery for that too. But I'm amazed at how tough the body is since I have been riding with a broken back essentially. The Tens Unit I ride with helps manage the pain but does not clip the neurological signals so much that it does not impact balance or if I hit a bump I will know that too.

Anyway-to the rest of you all the best riding. I look forward to reading some good ride reports to fill my days.

All my treatments will be outpatient and I have housing close to the Cancer Clinic that provides shuttle service etc.

For those curious I have a non-curable cancer called Multiple Myeloma. Though not curable it is manageable and that's what I'm shooting for. I may have a stem cell transplant but I'm holding off at this time because the success rate is very poor and it only resets the disease (average remission is less than two years). But if the disease destroys my bone marrow then the stem cells can be used to regrow them and that's why I'm doing the harvest.

Anyway my best to all of you and I'm looking forward to some more riding nest season. I'm hoping to go down to Big Bend Texas in Jan or Feb or Mar depending on finances and my rehab. And then the big ride from WA to MN. Maybe I can meet some of you along the way. On the WA-MN ride I'm going to see if I can find donors for Blood Cancers. A few local firms are working with me and I'm hoping to raise monies for research and The American Cancer Society.

Mike

PS-I don't want to be writing a book called The Final Ride-Yet (Though I do like the Title)
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

well im sorry to hear about your difficulties. i will be praying for you. keep us updated on your progress we would like to know how you are doing.

shawn
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

Take care Mike. Wishing you the smoothest of rides on what is likely to be a rough trail...... Gods speed. Gerry

Edit: Mike, we had a couple of fella's on the forum some months ago. They were getting ready for a fund raising ride to buy motorcycles for Healthcare Workers in Africa. I understand they reached their goal of $4000 (+). As a 'sponsor' I found the process very easy and professional. Take a look

http://www.firstgiving.com/statement...howitworks.asp
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mike

I hope that you`ll have a successful stay in the hospital and that you will regain enough of your health to ride again. My thoughts will be with you.

In South Africa we also have an bone marrow registry called "The Sunflower Fund"

They take a blood sample and keep the info on a list for if/when somebody needs it.

Both my wife and me are members.

Take care

Petrus

2008 TW200

Mike,

Good luck and take care. You have such a positive attitude in not the best of situations. I'm sure I'll be seeing your posts next year to this forum and your blog!

Kris

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I wish the best for you Mike. I'm sure I'll see you up in the Colockum next summer.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Do you have a good support network here? Will someone be with you? Drop me a line if you need anything while in town, we would be happy to help!

sounds like you've got a long road ahead of you. best wishes for your treatment and recovery.

good luck bud
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesCall View Post
    Do you have a good support network here? Will someone be with you? Drop me a line if you need anything while in town, we would be happy to help!

Thank you for the kind offer.

I will have various family members staying with me 3 - 4 days every week and more during the critical phases. But after I get past the tests and treatments there will be periods where company might be nice.

Thank you for the offer PM me.

Mike

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links