• 2 Post By Ken
  • 2 Post By Mel
  • 3 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By rmartin
  • 3 Post By peter
  • 2 Post By stagewex

Thread: Lightening strike

Lightening strike

Last Sunday night real late we had a storm come through dumping 1.7" of rain and lots of lightening.

well one struck between our place and neighbors she.

it took out his alarm system and messed up our camper I thought. After 7 hours I finally checked the main breaker for all of our place when I called the power company. Tom from Ameren was right over. He said he had checked our transformer before daylight but saw nothing.

voltage was good from the meter and just inside the shed, but on the other side of the main breaker the voltage was down about 40 volts on all three lines.

so I called the electrician that was supposed to fix the drop Ameren knocked down last fall and just slapped it back and told me to get it fixed. I watched them from the camper and knew they were going to mess something up. They were there to fix a sagging power line.

i was sick from taking a new medicine called Trulicity. I mean vomiting, loss of appetite, daherra, hives, sweats stomach cramps. I went to the emergency room twice 9&11 days after taking only one shot. Needless o say I was to sharp after loosing 17 lbs and finding out that it would take about 30 days to get it out of my system.

well the jest of the deal I found the electrician can get an attitude sometimes, as he told Ameren I had never oked the work. I'm sure I told him to fix it however Ameren wanted as they were fixing it. No one ever called me.

so last week he would not answer any of my calls or texts.

so I called Tom at Ameren and explained why I thought he was ticked. I asked him to call and tell him that he would like to know when they could coordinate him fixing the drop. It worked, as he called me in 5 minutes.

so now after a week I'm hoping all the parts come it. Believe it the 3 phase main breaker is coming from Florida.

meanwhile I have 3 Honda 2000i generators running for a freezer, fridge, and our camper. No air condition temps running 94 in living quarters.
    Ken, littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Ken
    Hopefully they get you hooked up soon. No a/c is uncomfortable. I hope your health improves. Sickness sucks. Get better, I'll be praying for you.
    littletommy and SanDue like this.

Mel
    Get well soon Ron.
    Mel
    littletommy and SanDue like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's a whole lotta bad cloud over you right now. But clouds pass.
    Feel better.
    littletommy, admiral and SanDue like this.

Got the circuit breaker box fixed on the 25th, all is good. They also fixed the drop into the meter. Now waiting for the bill.

i can feel for those people in hurricane area. Ran about $8-10 a day for gas for the generators.

Ameren is to pay for the drop.
    Tweaker likes this.

Yep, I am one of those "hurricane people". After getting hit real bad by Irma, we also got Maria. I was told by our power company that almost 1,600 poles are down and it will take 2 months to get power in my area of the island. Appreciate electricity when you have it!!!!
    littletommy, Tweaker and SanDue like this.

We had a lighting strike that took out most of the suburban area we live in. When the power went back on there was such a powerful surge that lightbulbs blew out ala "Young Frankenstein".
    We replaced all and the power company admitted they had overloaded transformers (which a few blew too) and would pay for damages.
    Of course we already had swept everything up and replaced so didn't qualify, we weren't going to stay in the dark for 20 replacement light bulbs.
    What hurt was the processor/computer in our refrigerator went also. Neither the power company or our own insurance would pay for it because upon inspection we didn't have a surge protector (like we have on home computers, stereo, etc) between the fridge & receptacle. I didn't even know this type of electronics were in it?

The circuit board for the fridge and labor to install it was almost the cost of a new fridge, so sadly that is what we did. With a surge protector of course... lesson learned.
    That sucked.
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Sponosred Links