homemade camper
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: homemade camper

homemade camper

My wife planned our vacation in January to go to Galveston TX and well two weeks before our time to leave the hurricane hit and needless to say that was ruined. We have been talking about building a little camper for a few years and decided what the hay lets go for it. So we worked non stop on it for a week or so. We finished it on a Wednesday night and left Thursfay morning and toured all of Michigan including the U.P. Beautiful neighboring state that neither of us have been to. Anyway the camper box was built and then we slid it onto a carry-on 5x8 trailer from lowes that we picked up on sale. The box is talk enough for the wife and i to stand in. The we used a left over interior house door and some storm windows from menards and a rv roof vent from amazon. The floor is 3/4" plywood and the walls are 3/8 and its framed with 2x4 and 2x4. Our bed on the floor is a queen size mattress topper thst we chopped off about 6 inches of. The bunk bed is 3 feet high and 5' long for the kids. Its high enough that we can all sit up under the bunk bed and play cards/watch videos etc. We framed in some little shelves by the door framing and put some coat hooks up. We put in a few cheap push button leds for lighting. The wife wanted to paint it happy so i let her paint the whole exterior of it however she wanted to. Anyway here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Oh and the bunk bed is removable just incase i a motorcycle finds its way inside?

Tweaker, Peterb, Swingarm and 10 others like this.

Oh and for the anyone who is thinking about checking out Michigan. Grand haven has a really nice beach and lots of beautiful women and a nice little path from the beach to downtown. Ludington state park was prolly our favorite park overall. They have a nice beach, a few playgrounds, good easy hiking trails, kayak and bicycle rentals etc. In the U.P. our favorite place by far was Porcupine mountains state park. The forest there is exactly what i think of in my mind when i think of a forest. The western side of the park has never been logged and it has huge hemlock trees and the ground is covered in pine-ish looking needles. Best hiking in my opinion by far. Highly reccomend checking out big spring state park. The only attraction is the spring lake.It has a floating dock that goes across it and back. 45' deep and 100% clear water. You can seen everything in this pond including the huge school of trout and other fish and an iphone down at the bottom that somebody dropped while taking pics. Looks like something you would see in the Bahamas etc. Pictured rock boat tour was kinda cool. Kids hated it because it was boring for them. Browns fish restaurant in Paradise MI had the best fried fresh whitefish we could find. Great little hole in the wall restaurant. Tahquaminom falls had some pretty waterfalls to. Best motorcycle roads we cam across. 41 up towards Copper harbor was really nice. They have mountain bike trail in Copper Harbor that are rated in the top 10 in the country. upper part of the lower peninsula m22 was a decent road and m119 tunnel of the trees would have been great on a bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Love it. A really cool small trailer. It looks very versatile. Better than a tent by far and great family fun.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I love it and I WONT show this to my wife!
    So you built an enclosed MC trailer that you can convert into a camper, Wow, Smart ! ! !
    Dod you put and recessed tie down plates in the floor?
    GREAT JOB ! ! !
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

Awesome!! I've been looking at doing something pretty much exactly like this for some time. The trailer is the hard part. Used utility trailer are all apparently made from pure gold, and no HF up here....the equivalent chain, Princess Auto, has gobs of trailer parts but no kits. Cheapest I've been able to find a full 'cheap' trailer kit online ends up at about a grand after shipping.
    My camp (or cabin, as all the other countries in the world seem to call it..as in, "I'm going to the camp for the weekend".....is a slide-in truck camper on a timber frame with a nice roof built over it, complete with covered patio. The wife and I (and the little dog) is the biggest crowd that are even inside it, and if friends come up for a weekend they all tent. Don't need big.... If the weather's crap, you're likely not going camping....so really, you just need something big enough to go in and go to sleep.
    Awesome little rig!

Nicely done!
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post
    ...The trailer is the hard part. Used utility trailer are all apparently made from pure gold...
    In 2001, I bought a new Carson 5x8, single axle, 15" wheel utility trailer, which looks very much like the photo in post #1.
    Trailer was about $600. With taxes, title and lifetime Arizona registration, it was about $900.
    $600 then would be about $900, now.

Same husband and wife still own the trailer place in Chino Valley, AZ.

Used it to haul water (125 gallon tank) with my Jeep to our ranch.
    My youngest daughter took it with her to Georgia and then brought it back this year.
    Has a new(er) wood floor and on its 3rd set of tires, but still in frequent use.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Mel
    I have a variety of 9 trailers. Heavy duty tandem axle dual wheeled 27000 lb, all the down to my motorcycle trailer. Some are flat bed to a couple of box trailers. I won't sell one of them, as long as I have a place to store them. If I did sell one, it would be the cost to replace it.
    Mel

Hmmmmm...... I have a 5x9 trailer just like yours. Hmmmmm...... If I show this to my girlfriend, she will absolutely want one. My trailer was used, with worn wood floor. I bought it from a friend for two hundred bucks. Another friend who used to use it a lot, bought new two by's for it. I scored.
    Mel and littletommy like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links