Purifying Water
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Purifying Water

Purifying Water

I enjoy watching survivalists shows and had seen them purifying water in a plastic bottle. I tried it on our last trip to Green Ridge and it worked perfectly. Here's a picture of water boiling in a plastic bottle. What are some of your favorite survivalist techniques?

IMG_8594.JPG
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

That is scary to me. As kids while ice fishing we boiled a pan full of snow over the fire and drank the water after it cooled. Both of us ended up with a nasty case of the poops that evening. Not sure if it was from the water but we were told it should be at a full boil for 10 minutes and we just kept adding more snow as it boiled away until we had close to a full pan. Now they make a thing called a survival straw that is supposed to work without boiling but I never tried one yet.

Just a few years ago while riding the back woods in northern Maine we came upon a pipe coming out of the mountain where people fill jugs. We filled a few jugs and bottles and my wife drank it but I didn't. That evening she spent most of it on the toilet with severe cramps and a serious case of the craps. So much for good mountain spring water! What really surprises me is my dog, she drinks from puddles, ponds, lakes and anywhere else she finds water and never seems to have a problem with any of that nasty stuff.

GaryL
    TopPredator and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

If you are in a situation where you are severely dehydrated and have no other recourse then go for it. Just be aware that boiling water in a plastic bottle releases bisphenol A (BPA) into the water you will be consuming. BPA is linked to type two diabetes, heart disease and male impotence Still, this is a potentially life saving trick I just wouldn't drink too much of it in a "practice" situation.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just carry a life straw along with you.
    Purple, TopPredator and Ken like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

My favorite survival technique for Green Ridge was to rent a luxurious cabin and bring my wife along.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    My favorite survival technique for Green Ridge was to rent a luxurious cabin and bring my wife along.
    Now you're talking my language Scottie. I bring along about $600 in cash and a well funded credit card and just have fun.

Yup, Those Life Straws are claimed to be the cat's meow but I never used one. Even with it I would still be Leary of drinking from it but we can't last long without water and there is no getting around that.

GaryL
    scotti158, TopPredator and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I like the way you roll...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    scotti158, TopPredator and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    If you are in a situation where you are severely dehydrated and have no other recourse then go for it. Just be aware that boiling water in a plastic bottle releases bisphenol A (BPA) into the water you will be consuming. BPA is linked to type two diabetes, heart disease and male impotence Still, this is a potentially life saving trick I just wouldn't drink too much of it in a "practice" situation.

Tom
    I'm hoping I never have to use this technique. Just one of those things I had to see to believe.
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and Peterb like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

[QUOTE=GaryL;7255. "....What really surprises me is my dog, she drinks from puddles, ponds, lakes and anywhere else she finds water and never seems to have a problem with any of that nasty stuff."

GaryL[/QUOTE]

My dog does the same thing and gets away with it. However, she does train daily for bacterial exposure by licking her butt.
    I guess i will stick with water treatment.

In my experience from hiking the back country, from boiling water to using iodine tables this is the ticket a ”Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter”. $80.00 bucks and you can drink from a mud puddle. Throw it in your backpack or your bugout bag and never worry about your next drink of water. I’m an avid hunter and carry a daypack or on my TW when I’m in the woods. I’m telling you guys, this thing will make clean water for you and your family from a ditch. Check it out...
    "Cycles is a mean toy lady" Halsy Knox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links