don't hate me
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: don't hate me

Just got home from a 13 hr trip after work today to pick up a drz400s

Please don't hate me guys, but so far this is an amazing bike... it will not replace the tw though, I can't picture taking this young tall skinny chick through most of the places the tw thrives.

Mostly I needed a second bike to have something that could get me farther out of the area without it taking all year, to commute back and forth to work on, and frankly because I bought what must have been the most abused yet still running tw200 in north american history. The stupid thing is just -always- broken. Rapidly approaching the price of a brand new tw200 from the dealer, and it isn't even very highly modified. Have had to rebuild almost every part of the bike though, and have been "upgrading" to suit my needs where possible. Constantly waiting weeks for parts or saving up cash to buy the next piece that failed...

The tw will just never be my 300miles per day for two weeks bike. It will instead be the offroad bike(stretched swingarm and atv tire in the near future), the around town bike, and the couple hours ride 2up with the wife in the woods bike. It likely will not ever be the "I would jump on this bike right now and ride across the <geographic term> without a worry" bike because I just can't trust it. If you know the full story of my tw, you know that it has been -anything but- reliable. It probably never will be, and now I am ok with that.

Peace and love and motorcycle terms,

Operose
    ITCB

Don't worry, nobody is going to hate you. We understand MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome).

Good choice with the DRZ. I've got the SM version and just love it, probably the most fun bike to ride on the street that I have owned. I also have a set of dirt wheels for it so I can take it offroad with the TW.

I for one salute you for your contributions to the site and uncommon "stick" and diligence with your TW.

Go have some actual fun. You've earned it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I for one salute you for your contributions to the site and uncommon "stick" and diligence with your TW.

Go have some actual fun. You've earned it.

I second that. The DRZ is a great bike, and complements the TW well. Enjoy your new ride!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Thanks guys!

re-reading that, it is kinda obvious that I haven't been sleeping much these days

Check out the awesome trailer I rednecked together in a a couple of hours after work on Tuesday, in preparation to go pick up the bike Wednesday immediately after work

It's an old camper trailer frame I have been stripping to use as a utility trailer. Needed a way to get the bike home so some quick weldering and we had a motorcycle trailer! Only lost one fender on the way home from picking up the bike, and that was about 300 miles of terrible, awful roads

Slapped on some magnetic lights and hit the road, so to speak.

Here he is in all his glory, this morning
    ITCB

Oh yeah, the jeep had a New York plate, the trailer had a Maine plate, and the bike had a Vermont plate... we managed to not get pulled over even though we drove north through all of NY as the bars were closing. LUCKY!!!!
    ITCB

Quote Originally Posted by operose View Post
    Oh yeah, the jeep had a New York plate, the trailer had a Maine plate, and the bike had a Vermont plate... we managed to not get pulled over even though we drove north through all of NY as the bars were closing. LUCKY!!!!

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Got a bit over 100miles on it now and it is all legalized. Sure is a fun bike, but too tall and lacking a kickstart it really wouldn't go well on some of the trails around here. Might end up in supermoto trim next year??? Goign to keep the stock "deathwing" tires for now, they aren't worn out and do OK on the road, also not as bad as stock tw200 trailwing on gravel roads
    ITCB

Nothing is without fault, right?

Got about 300 miles on it and yesterday the countershaft nut backed off, which let the sprocket move outward on the splines, which let this spacer thing outward, which let the oil seal get spit out.... which dumped all my oil in the street on my way to work.

Can't say I hadn't been warned, the internet told me it would happen! Good news: don't have to pull the sidecover to replace countershaft seal ( ) and the parts will be here tomorrow

Internet says put locktite on the splines when putting the sprocket back on
    ITCB

Yep, do the loctite fixes! And if it doesn't have the updated automatic cam chain tensioner, then get it...or get the manually operated one. I believe the first version of the automatic tensioner didn't have the locking mechanism on it so at high rpm the chain would compress the tensioner.

The stock seat sucks after 5 miles. The gel seat is no better. I ended up with a SDG because of the price from Dennis Kirk, it was very firm but it was better than stock and I got used to it.

The hand guards on mine really took the vibration out of the handlebars. It was a noticeable difference.

The 3x3 mod really wakes it up with proper jetting.

I had one but have since sold it. When looking at jetting kits, you have two options: the SM version or the non-SM version. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the SM version you actually put in a smaller main jet because the needle shape requires it while the non-SM version you put in a larger or keep the stock main jet because of the needle that comes with that kit. Basically, either kit works but when reading the forums you need to know which kit a person is running when reading their recommended main jet choice. I kept chasing my tail for awhile reading the multiple threads on jetting until I figured that one out.

The power was very welcoming after riding the TW. The suspension was plush and nice. You sit up high but for a commuter it wasn't detrimental.

You will miss the ability to really lean the bike over as easily as the TW, or at least I did!

The only issues I had with it were the valves. When I bought it the original owner allowed dirt to get into the intake and once the coating on the valve fails the valve starts pummeling itself...a hard-to-start issue with a consistently out-of-spec valve is the indicator.

I've got the Hot Cams valve shim kit for it still, it's yours if you want it as I have no more use for it.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links