RV
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: RV

RV

Headed out tomorrow to take a look at a 35ft fifthwheel with 4 slideouts. I am planning on chasing the sun, at least that is on my bucket list. With my gkids on the otherside of the nation would be fun to meander across the nation stopping here and there to ride with local TW riders. I figure this to be enough to feel at home anywhere I put the jacks down.

Sounds like a nice trip and the right toy hauler for it. Chasing the sun from where you are should be in either a south or easterly direction but when you plan to make this trip will be the key. I have often thought about doing another cross country slow ride but I really do want to do the north route across the top of the US and that takes perfect timing and planning to hit the weather right. From Washington straight across to NY this time of year would be a disaster in the making. I have done the southern routes a couple times already but have to get up north to see Montana, Wyoming and Idaho which are all on the bucket list.

Keep us posted Plumb.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Just don't get it so big that you are reluctant to move it around as planned. Do get it big enough to carry the toys (bike, fishing stuff and ??). I have the TW analog in RVs. A 22 ft MB sprinter van - I call it the fed ex truck with a bathroom, but it carries the spouse and me, the pedal bikes, or the TW with comfort. The joy is you can drive it anywhere, move often, use it as excuse to leave stuff at home, and when needed park it outside an AirBNB and enjoy the change of perspective. Notice I didn't say it was much cheaper than something much bigger . . . and you do have to like the person you are traveling with because you are in close contact. Good luck with the search and selection.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's a big rig, really limits where you can go with it. That's JMO, to each his own. Why so big if I may ask?
    littletommy likes this.

We have a 37 foot 5th wheel with 4 slides. My family loves the living space during extended trips. You won't get more living space in any type of RV. It does add time on moving day to do the "shell in" and "shell out" (we think of our trailer as a desert tortoise). I think 5th wheels are great for those that want to stay and enjoy an area for a bit before moving on. There is something to be said about not feeling cramped when living in a trailer for weeks or months at a time. Motorhomes are more convenient for getting from point A to point B quicker. Speed is never on my mind while towing though.

I've had our trailer in some beautiful boondocking areas with TW trails as far as the eye can see in every direction. My trailer is not a toy hauler, but I am planning to purchase a "Ultimate MX Hauler" to hitch my TW up to the front hitch on my truck.

My one word of caution would be to make sure you have enough truck to handle the payload of the trailer. Stay comfortably under all of your weight and tow limits. Also, set the cruise control between 60-63 and enjoy the scenery ... never be in a hurry when towing a big trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    We have a 37 foot 5th wheel with 4 slides. My family loves the living space during extended trips. You won't get more living space in any type of RV. It does add time on moving day to do the "shell in" and "shell out" (we think of our trailer as a desert tortoise). I think 5th wheels are great for those that want to stay and enjoy an area for a bit before moving on. There is something to be said about not feeling cramped when living in a trailer for weeks or months at a time. Motorhomes are more convenient for getting from point A to point B quicker. Speed is never on my mind while towing though.

I've had our trailer in some beautiful boondocking areas with TW trails as far as the eye can see in every direction. My trailer is not a toy hauler, but I am planning to purchase a "Ultimate MX Hauler" to hitch my TW up to the front hitch on my truck.

My one word of caution would be to make sure you have enough truck to handle the payload of the trailer. Stay comfortably under all of your weight and tow limits. Also, set the cruise control between 60-63 and enjoy the scenery ... never be in a hurry when towing a big trailer.
    I have to agree with all of your advice. The 5th wheel seems like a perfect match to go with a TW. No rushing and just cruise along enjoying the scenery and remembering it is not the destination but the ride. Also totally agree that more truck and more power is always the best combination when towing a trailer. Set up and brake down time is always a PITA so better to land in a spot and hang for a few days just relaxing. Mother in law has a fairly compact Coleman motor home built on an F-450 chasis I think is 28 feet with a small tip out that is nice for about a week. They made a major mistake by going with the smaller engine and have always wished they went for the diesel because the truck can't get out of it's own way. It is however much better for the hit and run stop and go traveling they do and only takes about a half hour to set up and brake down. I highly prefer the idea of having a vehicle to drive after the trailer is dumped and set up.

GaryL
    Tweaker, littletommy and jtstdub like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Plumbstraight has the truck to pull it and the experience.
    Good luck on your purchase and have fun chasing the sun.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Hope it suits you Randall. Since you will be living out of it the size becomes reasonable even if it occasionally limits places you can take it. A purchased RV trailer should be much lighter and a bit classier than the one you planned to build yourself . Even though the commercial model will have some compromises you have the skills to fix things to your liking. Go for it!
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Get some solar panels on it and you will need very little generator run time if any. Check out Handy Bobs blog everything you ever need to know about RV solar and batteries. 4-130 watt panels and 400 amps at 12v of 6v deep cycle cells. And a big inverter to run your microwave, TV, etc.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com

Come down here. We can do some trips together. dirtluvers retired now.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Hey Fred if you got the toy hauler. You could come down to warmer spots in the winter. I have found some great dry camping spots that are primitive and accessible by my rig. Then you use that for more remote trips camping from the bike like you like to do. That upholstery can be covered just saying. LOL. PS then your bed warmer will come with.
    ejfranz, tuna, jtstdub and 3 others like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links