Are there any Verizon Cell phone gurus out here?
Close
         
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Are there any Verizon Cell phone gurus out here?

  1. #1
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,043

    Are there any Verizon Cell phone gurus out here?

    Help a brother out. I am absolutely technically challenged with this stuff but need a new I phone and have to get answers from someone who is not trying to reach into my pockets.

    The major network here is Verizon but the I phone is Apple. Both companies want to sell me a new phone and both are feeding me their own lines of what may or may not be BS.

    Thanks

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  2. #2
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,300
    Hey Gary, Verizon is most likely your best bet for a service provider in your geographical area. Are you wanting the iPhone for the user interface, do you currently have an older model? The age of your current device and your needs would determine if you need to upgrade or not. What are you using now?

  3. #3
    Senior Member peruano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lower Rio Grande, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,702
    Everyone with more money than me or younger than me has an iPhone. I have an android (Samsung 6) and it works great for everything (net, camera, phone, memo pad, alarm clock, and flashlight)What more is there in life?
    littletommy and goldenhtr like this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

    Hidden Content

    Central New Mexico

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,043
    Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Hey Gary, Verizon is most likely your best bet for a service provider in your geographical area. Are you wanting the iPhone for the user interface, do you currently have an older model? The age of your current device and your needs would determine if you need to upgrade or not. What are you using now?
    I have an I phone 6 that is nearing the end of it's battery life. Wife has 6s that is only a few months old. I have no clue what the "User Interface" means but with me being at home with zero cell signal and her at work with full service we can only communicate by text as I Messages over WIFI and that is from a satellite internet service here at home. Verizon will gladly sell me either a new I phone 6s or 7 for $449 and $549 but specifically Verizon network phones. Apple has the exact same prices but asked if I want a Verizon specific phone or an "Unlocked" version of those same phones. Apple claims they work the exact same and the unlocked one is the better option so we can switch service providers any time we want. Verizon of course says get the Verizon specific phone. ???????
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  6. #5
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,300
    I'll add, if you are happy with the iPhone and would like to upgrade to a newer model, I would play Verizon and Apple back & forth to get the best deal you can. Threaten Verizon with leaving for another carrier to get a better deal on the phone & service even if you have no intention of leaving, I've done this in the past and gotten free or highly discounted upgraded hardware.

  7. #6
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I have an I phone 6 that is nearing the end of it's battery life. Wife has 6s that is only a few months old. I have no clue what the "User Interface" means but with me being at home with zero cell signal and her at work with full service we can only communicate by text as I Messages over WIFI and that is from a satellite internet service here at home. Verizon will gladly sell me either a new I phone 6s or 7 for $449 and $549 but specifically Verizon network phones. Apple has the exact same prices but asked if I want a Verizon specific phone or an "Unlocked" version of those same phones. Apple claims they work the exact same and the unlocked one is the better option so we can switch service providers any time we want. Verizon of course says get the Verizon specific phone. ???????
    If you can't get a discounted phone from Verizon or other carrier I would go with the unlocked from Apple. I would also investigate other carriers service in your area; if you have no signal at the house but can get another carriers signal where you now have service with Verizon it may be time to change. Also, look into the prepaid version of Verizon, may be Cricket?, if you are not under contract it can be much less per month on the service charge.

  8. #7
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by AGman View Post
    Put a new battery in your 6?
    Or this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,043
    Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Everyone with more money than me or younger than me has an iPhone. I have an android (Samsung 6) and it works great for everything (net, camera, phone, memo pad, alarm clock, and flashlight)What more is there in life?
    Ha! Any smart phone in the hands of a dummy is still pretty dumb. Apple phones with their continual IOS updates and then the three update fixes after we do the dumb half baked update is a royal PITA and sucks all the data off my satellite internet which has data caps. As far as I know only Apple I phone can do the Text via WIFI but only between other I phones. I am still living here at home in the 19th century but 10 miles up or down the road they are well served and in the 21st century with all the techno devices and cellular signals. I rarely ever make or receive a voice call on my cell phone but I do text between friends, wife and other family who all use I phones.

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  10. #9
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,043
    Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    I'll add, if you are happy with the iPhone and would like to upgrade to a newer model, I would play Verizon and Apple back & forth to get the best deal you can. Threaten Verizon with leaving for another carrier to get a better deal on the phone & service even if you have no intention of leaving, I've done this in the past and gotten free or highly discounted upgraded hardware.
    I did this all day today and there is absolutely no difference in the final OTD price between any of them. Verizon does not give a shit if we leave and the other provider that is just OK, AT&T will promise the sun and give us a 100 watt light bulb. Apple determines the prices of their phones and that is PERIOD!
    Tweaker likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  11. #10
    Senior Member Joemama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lake County, Ca.
    Posts
    1,241
    I use a Samsung S7 thru Verizon. I can text via wifi. I do not have service at work, however I can text when connected to wifi. I could not do this with my old S4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. One good reason to keep your cell phone ON YOU.
    By littletommy in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM
  2. Cell phone chargers
    By will in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 03:22 AM
  3. Cell Phone.
    By ZDR1 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 08:24 PM
  4. cell phone holder
    By scooter-ray in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-27-2014, 10:38 PM
  5. Cell phone vs. handheld gps?
    By doggitter in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.