Another trip
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Another trip

Another trip

Well, headed out for a tour with my gal, stopped in on good TW friends in Cal on the way to pick up a travel trailer. All was good until just outside of Barstow. Pulled into a rest stop took care of business and headed out. Got about 50ft and the engine quit. I coasted to the outside of the ramp out, luckily still in the parking area, restarted the engine, heard some noises and shut it down. Fan belt was thrashed. Cut it out, tried to restart and that was a no go. Unloaded the TW and headed back to Barstow, 40mi. Picked up a new belt and back I went. Slid under the truck to find the Air conditioning compressor was froze up. Got hold of Dodge in Barstow, they sent a 40ft roll deck to bring me in. Got there just as things were closing up, but enough fellows to help push it into their lockup yard, and went to a motel. No parts, one day waiting, uh oh, no sensor on the cam, the belt took it out, one more day in the motel. Next afternoon got the call "it will be ready this afternoon. Have to be out of the motel at 11. My gal and I call for the ride back to the Dealership. We had our bags out on the corner, I asked her if she would like a tin cup to put out, someone might come by and toss in a dime. The van comes, he doesn't speak english, no problem, at least he knows the way back. The truck is still in the shop, hood up. We toss our gear on the back and I do a check. No pistol, no camera. I had hid them under things behind the seat. They had a breakin the night we left the truck. Several folks got their windows busted, glass all over the lot. When I left, they took my small generator off the bed. Had they told me they had been broken into twice int the last month I would have taken the other things also.

Here is the breakdown. That compressor was just put on last year. The belt was miss routed by the mechanic and was rubbing the sensor. Luckily still under warrantee. I think I am going after Dodge about this. Had the mechanic done his job properly none of this would have happened.

I did have the Barstow men in blue come and take down all the info and the employees were behind me all the way. I guess it was good that the weopen was registered and I had my carry permit with me.

Next chapter, The manager of the dealership that put on the belt.

Hope all things work out for you Randal. Dealerships can be a pain to deal with.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

If it was not for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all! Getting broke into in a shops locked yard is highly suspect of an inside job perpetrated by some scumbag they have employed.

A buddy left his F-150 over night at the dealer for a recall repair. In the morning his truck was on blocks with no wheels. Dealer replaced them that day and a week later the cops busted the thief, brother of one of the mechanics.

Hope you get all this worked out Randal and guns have a way of finding their way back when the thief gets busted with it.

GaryL
    jtstdub and SanDue like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Dang. Sorry to hear about all of this. Did you get your trailer yet. Maybe we’ll see you over in Arizona. Check the tires on your “new” to you trailer. My trailer is a 2014 bought new 2015 so three years old. It came with Chinese trailer tires in fact almost all trailer tires are Chinese. I put less than 5,000 miles on them. They were C rated for 1850lbs. I have heard stories about these tires one of their nick names are China bombs. People say to change them every 3-4 years. My trailer weighs 5,500 lbs, with a cargo capacity of 2,000 so net GVW of 7,700. Winebego put these under rated tires on my trailer from the factory. So I did a lot of research and changed mine out even though the tread is like new. It is a good thing I did because after getting them off I inspected them closely and there are cracks forming between the treads. If your trailer can fit them you are better off putting on light truck tires LT. My size is hard to get in LT tires. LT tires are rated for towing. I ended up getting a Goodyear trailer tire that they just started manufacturing back in the US this summer it is called the Endurance model. They have one called Marathon but they are crap and made in China. So far there has been great feed back on this new American made trailer tire. The Chinese tires are only rated for 60 mph and this is where people are getting into trouble with them they drive too fast in hot weather and not full pressure. Tons of stories of multiple blow outs with major damage to the wheel wells of lightly built trailers. My brother had a double blow out with damage to his toy hauler. This is one of the reasons I changed mine out. My new tires are D rated for 2,260 lbs each and speed rated for 85 mph. I never go that fast only 55-60. My tires are filled with nitrogen so that helps with storage and heat while driving. The old tires had max psi of 50 the new D rated tires are 65 psi. Depending on your trailer weight you may even need an E rated tire. One of the only other good tires I could find that would fit my rims were a Finnish van tire that’s made for a European Sprinter type truck. Discount tire supposedly could get these.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 12-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Dang. Sorry to hear about all of this. Did you get your trailer yet. Maybe we’ll see you over in Arizona. Check the tires on your “new” to you trailer. My trailer is a 2014 bought new 2015 so three years old. It came with Chinese trailer tires in fact almost all trailer tires are Chinese. I put less than 5,000 miles on them. They were C rated for 1850lbs. I have heard stories about these tires one of their nick names are China bombs. People say to change them every 3-4 years. My trailer weighs 5,500 lbs, with a cargo capacity of 2,000 so net GVW of 7,700. Winebego put these under rated tires on my trailer from the factory. So I did a lot of research and changed mine out even though the tread is like new. It is a good thing I did because after getting them off I inspected them closely and there are cracks forming between the treads. If your trailer can fit them you are better off putting on light truck tires LT. My size is hard to get in LT tires. LT tires are rated for towing. I ended up getting a Goodyear trailer tire that they just started manufacturing back in the US this summer it is called the Endurance model. They have one called Marathon but they are crap and made in China. So far there has been get feed back on this new American made trailer tire. The Chinese tires are only rated for 60 mph and this is where people are getting into trouble with them they drive too fast in hot weather and not full pressure. Tons of stories of multiple blow outs with major damage to the wheel wells of lightly built trailers. My brother had a double blow out with damage to his toy hauler. This is one of the reasons I changed mine out. My new tires are D rated for 2,260 lbs each and speed rated for 85 mph. I never go that fast only 55-60. My tires are filled with nitrogen so that helps with storage and heat while driving. The old tires had max psi of 50 the new D rated tires are 65 psi. Depending on your trailer weight you may even need an E rated tire. One of the only other good tires I could find that would fit my rims were a Finnish van tire that’s made for a European Sprinter type truck. Discount tire supposedly could get these.

Solid advice! I will be checking my camper tires today. Thank you.

Tom
    littletommy and jtstdub like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Can't go wrong with "LT" tires...
    jtstdub, Tweaker, grewen and 2 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

YUP! Most trailer tires on new units are the cheapest crap the manufacturers can find. Same goes for most new vehicles. I forget the name of the ones that were original equipment on my Wells Cargo dual axle covered trailer, Champion I think, but pure Chinese garbage and a blow out tore up the aluminum fender before I even knew I had a blown tire. I am surprised many of these garbage tires even get a DOT rating but money does the talking these days.

GaryL
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I would do a bit more research before putting LT tires on a trailer. Car / Truck tires are designed for traction and moving and steering the vehicle and their tread design is different than a trailer tire which is designed to follow the tow vehicle in a straight line. Depending on the tread design of the LT tire, there might be a small amount of wandering. I was going to replace the tires on my little trailer with LT tires when the regional manager for Kal Tire explained the difference between trailer tires and passenger vehicle tires to me. When one of his employees sold me the wrong wheel (rims and tires) set up for my truck and the tires did not last a year (20 000 km), he replaced the whole set up (rims and tires) with the correct set up for $26.
    littletommy and SanDue like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I think you are right EJF. I am not a tire expert but believe trailer specific tires have stiffer side walls and treads designed not so much for traction as they are to keep the trailer going straight and not brake free on curves.

GaryL
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.

LT tires?

f9a40a305a6c9f464e940f8568e9e3fe--tim-hortons-crazy-cars.jpg

Delicious in the event you get stuck or stranded!

Tom
    GaryL, plumbstraight, Fred and 4 others like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links