I've given up ......
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree294Likes

Thread: I've given up ......

I've given up ......

On December the 4th, I stopped smoking after nearly 50 years

After a couple of false starts at giving up in the recent past, I got onto a plane bound for Malta for a couple of weeks, and simply left the cigarettes behind. I think the change of scenery for those first two weeks helped a lot, and by the end of that time I’d given up on nicotine patches in favour of vaping (which I’ll admit I went out there fully equipped to do) – even vaping at 6 (which is low) combined with the patches at 10 (you’re supposed to start out at 25), the combination of the two could often result in a headache

Now, as I write this, I “vape” at 6 or 9 according to my mood, and the patches stay in there their box. I’ve discovered that I can stop vaping for an hour or so, but the patches nicotine content was more or less relentless, whether you wanted or needed it or not

At the tender age of 60, my motivation for doing this was as a result of being “generally unfit”, resulting in increased respiration at the slightest exercise – combine that with smoking 20 roll ups a day, and you’ll quickly get the idea -my lungs were labouring getting up hills. Now my respiration rate still increases, but as least the air is getting through, (the “unfit” bit I’ll deal with in due course)

As for avoiding the “Big C”, it’s been my experience that if you’re going to get it, you still will. I’ve seen too many people taken down (non-smokers, and those who have given up years ago) to believe that what I am doing will affect my chances of that happening. – but my arteries will probably appreciate the difference

My reasons for writing this, is to elicit comments and advice from those who have successfully given up smoking in the past, and hopefully to help those who consider doing so in future. It’s been my experience that it’s far from being about the nicotine, there are too many options for “replacement” of that particular singular “addiction” – it’s more complicated than that

Today in particular, I’ve seriously “wanted” a ciggy three times, despite my body having enough nicotine to keep it going. But I draw on the memory of my difficulty in getting up hills, my (now old cough – it’s history), and after a few minutes, I’m through it. I know that if I have a single ciggy now, that will lead to two, and to my eventual loss of willpower. It’s a battle, but it’s one I will eventually win – perhaps simply because it’s one I “need” to win

Any and all comments welcome – whether you currently a smoker, or given up in the past, or even someone whose never smoked – it’s all good

“A problem shared is a problem halved” ………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Good for you Purple!
    It is easy to cheat and lose progress if trying to progressively wean yourself from the nicotine habit.
    With the help of Chantrix I quit successfully after two attempts. First time I permitted myself to gradually decrease as the drug instructions permitted, then I cheated and resumed smoking.
    Next time I went "cold turkey", i.e. quit totally with no progressive decrease in nicotine dosage. That was five years ago and not a single cigarette since.
    Wishing you total success. Maintaining willpower is difficult if you allow yourself to sneak a cigarette or vape now and then but you already know that.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks Fred – I’m hoping that eventually giving up vaping will be a lot simpler, even if it’s just because your only dealing with one “addiction”, and you’ll have done it before …….
    SanDue, littletommy, Ken and 2 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What you need to do is rent a child who will relentlessly bug you out of your mind to quit. Hiding,breaking,putting a small hole in the side so when you inhale its finished in two puffs. It worked for my Dad and he did not have to rent one.
    littletommy, SanDue, Fred and 6 others like this.

The change in environment like the holiday in Malta helps. I was almost successful on an Hawaiian vacation where smoking in public is pretty much a criminal act. Might have worked if I just stayed another week but what really worked was the drug Chantrix which seemed to break the craving from the chemical dependency on nicotine.
    Perhaps be brave and loose the vaping before you back-slide into the old habit? Just think that smoking makes you part of a dying breed. Not many people smoke tobacco around here anymore, they likely smoke legal marijuana now.
    littletommy, Tweaker, Ken and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Just picture in your mind sitting around coughing your lungs out strapped to an oxygen tank. It will start with just a nagging cough and slowly get worse. Watched my dad kill himself smoking, not pretty.
    Ken, kj7687, Purple and 3 others like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Good on you Purple, I quit 11 years ago and have not had one since! I also had to give up coffee at the same time as I never had a smoke without a coffee or a coffee without a smoke.........
    I also gave up alcohol and lost 55 pounds at the same time! The key for me was that I wanted to quit smoking, not because my spouse was making or trying to force me too.........
    I have an occassional drink and still eat the fat around my bbq'd steak but what I really, really CRAVE is coffee and I have not had one cup in 11 years! The thought of smoking a cigarette today is repulsive and I used to smoke half a pack a day and did for many years.
    You will do it brother, surely something like a simple cigarette isn't going to win this one, right?
    SanDue, Fred, Dryden-Tdub and 5 others like this.
    putt-putt

I was a three pack a day non filter camels deep inhaler. I quit cold turkey in 1981. No patches, no vapes, no pills, nothin!
    Wait until the nicotine dreams come to haunt you. If you can get past them, it takes over 10 years, you've got it done.
    SanDue, troll, Purple and 5 others like this.
    Phelonius

Good luck on your effort to quit, I've heard that giving up cigarettes is harder than quitting heroin.
    Since I've never smoked I wouldn't know. And I see these vaping stores everywhere I assume that it is an electronic cigarette?
    Ken, jtomelliott49 and SanDue like this.

i took champax when i was having a bout of phenomena ten days later i didnt have the urge to even smoke ....ten years later ... still not smokein... funny thing when u cant breath anymore smokeins no fun, was trying to quit for a long time... and being a welder was not the best choice of trades.. these days feel fairly good with about 50% of lungs left.... u have to over come it in the brain...
    Purple, Ken, Mel and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links