Running The T-Dub Numbers!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Running The T-Dub Numbers!

Running The T-Dub Numbers!

When running a few numbers around the T-Dub it dawned on me I could be a T-tight W-wad

Hope you enjoy but don't quit buying need because us tight wads new to find used deals!

As I said my new to me bike is a 2013 purchased from the original owner 54 months later.

Working to make the bike mine adding a item or two here and there I started to look at the information I had at hand!

The new bike cost the original owner $4,821 and then all of the added interest on the contract, but I'm not using any interest in this post.

First off the bike was rode 520 miles over the 54 months, or 9.62 miles per month or .0316 miles per day.

But my bike was running a little rough and this is what started me to think, if the original owner only ran it 9.62 miles a month is the gas in the tank any good?

So I started playing with the fuel useage; the fuel tank holds 1.8 gals and if he filled it every time and got 73 mpg I estimate this would mean that there was a total of 3.96 tanks of fuel ran through the T-Dub over the life of the T-dub so far and with the tank being almost filled at the time of purchase this fuel might be a year of two old I'm thinking!

The fuel was estimated by: 520miles>131.4 miles per tank = 3.96 tanks

Useage per month 9.62 miles per month> 7.128 gals per fuel useage > 520 total miles = .0185 gallons of fuel useage per month, it was old as it would take almost 13.5 months at stedy use to us a tank! Changed it all out replaced with new and the bike runs 50% better and I got to try it out in the snow where she walked like a lady!

BUTTT!

Than I started to look at the money side of my girl and the original purchase;

Looking at the original contract of purchase the cost was $4,821 after all of the charges and than after taking the sale to me out to equal cost of ownership would be a base amount of $2,821 > 520 miles or = $5.425 per mile of use! If we look at estimated operating cost: Fuel at $3.50 per gallon x 7.326 gals = $25.64, Insurance (Based on mine) $21.66 per month x 54 months = $1,169.64. Plates and permits (Based on mine) $2.00 per month x 54 = $108 for a total of $1,303.28 > 520 miles = $2.5063 per mile; this would bring total estimated cost to the original owner per mile to ($5.425 + $2.5063) $7.9313 per mile.

Butttt! again if the original owner was using the bike lets say 1200 miles a year the only items that would have changed would be fuel 1200 miles > 73mpg = 16.44 gals x $3.50 = $57.54 per year x 54 months= $258.93 total fuel cost and add $100 per year maintenance cost or $450 bringing the original owners estimated cost to $4,807.57 with total miles used at 5,400 miles or $0.8899 less than a dollar per mile of use, the bke would still fetch the same sale amount I feel.

If you own a T-dub drive it every time you get a chance but the $$$'s per mile is a great reason to by used and add a few part to make the bike your own! I feel that in 6 years of use I'll ride 9,000 miles and my bike will still be looking great and I'll have a closer to $0.40 per mile cost and I'll get to see the world up close and slow!
    Last edited by DAR395; 01-17-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: more
    littletommy, Lyterx, elime and 6 others like this.

Hey congrats on your “new” bike.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Yes — but the earth is moving around our sun in a very nearly circular orbit. It covers this route at a speed of nearly 30 kilometers per second, or 67,000 miles per hour

If your bike is 2013, that’s almost five years, allowing for a bit of give and take, that’s about 19818440000 hours at 67000 MPH — which means that your bike has actually done closer to 128535480000000 miles

Although you mention it does an average of 73 miles to the tank, the reality suggests you’re actually getting 1760760000000 miles to the tank

Depends on whether or not any of those miles was against the rotation of the planet of course — but it’s a small adjustment

Of course, one could suggest that everything is relative — indeed, this brings up the point of schrodinger's cat — but there’s no need to over complicate things at this stage …….

(Probably time for a fuel change though)
    Last edited by Purple; 01-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I was 14 I remember talking with an older neighbor guy who was retired railroad spending his time restoring early Mustangs and 55-57 T-Birds (maybe a few mid sixties 409 Impalas in the mix) about how much cars / vehicles cost and he explained that cars should never cost you money they should make you money and it really stuck in my head

I also watched him hammer and dolly out old Mustangs starting with the front and rear valances that were sometimes wadded into a ball. I recall one front valance he worked on for 3 days but he could bring the metal out to ready for prime no fill just primer surfacer. By the time he got to his personal 57 T-Bird he removed the leading from previous repairs and hammered the metal out to perfection. When he dies his widow sold off his collection but at 16 I didn't have the cash to buy anything. His wife drove a 409 Impala to church for 2 decades after his death
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 01-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I hope you enjoy your TW as much as you seem to enjoy numbers. Wow....my mind is blown.
    Purple, grewen, Elvesus and 2 others like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Yes – but the earth is moving around our sun in a very nearly circular orbit. It covers this route at a speed of nearly 30 kilometers per second, or 67,000 miles per hour

If your bike is 2013, that’s almost five years, allowing for a bit of give and take, that’s about 19818440000 hours at 67000 MPH – which means that your bike has actually done closer to 128535480000000 miles

Although you mention it does an average of 73 miles to the tank, the reality suggests you’re actually getting 1760760000000 miles to the tank

Depends on whether or not any of those miles was against the rotation of the planet of course – but it’s a small adjustment

Of course, one could suggest that everything is relative – indeed, this brings up the point of schrodinger's cat – but there’s no need to over complicate things at this stage …….

Ohhh, i'm getting a headache
    Last edited by grewen; 01-17-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    Purple and Ken like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Yes — but the earth is moving around our sun in a very nearly circular orbit. It covers this route at a speed of nearly 30 kilometers per second, or 67,000 miles per hour

If your bike is 2013, that’s almost five years, allowing for a bit of give and take, that’s about 19818440000 hours at 67000 MPH — which means that your bike has actually done closer to 128535480000000 miles

Depends on whether or not any of those miles was against the rotation of the planet of course — but it’s a small adjustment

Of course, one could suggest that everything is relative — indeed, this brings up the point of schrodinger's cat — but there’s no need to over complicate things at this stage …….

You got one of the points if was in need of new fuel, the other was not no was in the seat to enjoy the ride, but your numbers are deeper!
    Purple, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

Some people have way to much time on their hands. Maybe take up reloading or something.
    Purple, jtomelliott49, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    When I was 14 I remember talking with an older neighbor guy who was retired railroad spending his time restoring early Mustangs and 55-57 T-Birds (maybe a few mid sixties 409 Impalas in the mix) about how much cars / vehicles cost and he explained that cars should never cost you money they should make you money and it really stuck in my head

I also watched him hammer and dolly out old Mustangs starting with the front and rear valances that were sometimes wadded into a ball. I recall one front valance he worked on for 3 days but he could bring the metal out to ready for prime no fill just primer surfacer. By the time he got to his personal 57 T-Bird he removed the leading from previous repairs and hammered the metal out to perfection. When he dies his widow sold off his collection but at 16 I didn't have the cash to buy anything. His wife drove a 409 Impala to church for 2 decades after his death
    Your neighbor was spot on in his thinking of an auto should never cost you a dime and for the most part pay you, that was another point I was making even in bike ownership it is doable. I would never ride of drive on something I did not want nor would I only have the seat that came on it if there was a better one for comfort the same as I want to carry my photo equipment so I need racks and I would not standing on the mickey mouse foot pegs. But I had no reason to hurry and buy a bad deal on a bike nor will I cry if I get a chip here and there, it will be cared for and I already waxed her up and printed the service guide an working on everything to be in good order for the time I get to enjoy the bike. I say tight wad up in the post but it really is just how you think about enjoyment of life. Thinking of the old neighbor being able to see the metal and deeply feeling what he wanted and his love for the project and than his wife sitting there driveing one of his master pieces sends you thinking he was maybe in love with his life as well as his projects! Your neighbor thought the same way as I do, the auto is free if you make it be! There was a story told by Charlie Munger over 40 years ago, Charlie 1st rule was you must always buy from the original owner, most never see the greatest of this 1st rule, You Can't buy from a dealer!, dealer never knows what's been done to the item; auto or bike, some may not understand this concept but rules coming from an old neighbor or in this case of Charlie a billionaire! Just reading this post a 409 in that old Chevrolet and the hands forming metal it made me wanting to go north to my 1946 veterans issue Mobile Home I would have gotten along well with that guy! Thanks for the story.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Some people have way to much time on their hands. Maybe take up reloading or something.
    Time is the best thing! just sharing
    Ken, Purple and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links