national parks in utah
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: national parks in utah

national parks in utah

i don't know how i haven't heard what is planned for these parks until now, but i haven't. as someone who has enjoyed both of these areas, Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante, for the last 6 years, i have a sinking feeling about what us visitors maybe going to loose. it is all most acceptable and is actually part of the scenery, for us to see the odd oil well scattered amongst the beautiful landscape. if these millions of acres come out of the protected parks, what are we going to look forward to seeing? open pit mining? does anyone know how bad this could become?443.JPG 474.JPG456.JPG

i've posted a few pictures of areas we have enjoyed in the Escalante area and i would hate to see heavy haul trucks and paved roads and dust clouds spoiling the views
    Ken likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

And I was worried about the UN's plan for "sustainable development" AKA "Agenda 21" forcing people into urban centers but this is too far the other way.
    Ken likes this.

Don't forget that it was primarily the mining industry that created the roads and tracks we try to claim for exclusive recreational purposes today. We are just one of many legal multiple users enjoying public lands.
    Look around you, if it wasn't grown it was likely mined.
    If not for logging, cattle grazing, and mining road building activities where would you ride your TW off pavement? It has been politically correct to want to condemn these activities recently if you don't live there and count on those industries for employment and to keep your community alive. If one's local ecconomy depends on these industries one then sees things differently. Life pits conservationists against preservationists.

I wouldn't worry too much about the proposed change in land use. Market for coal will unlikely boom anytime soon.
    Since the seventies the growing trend is to shift jobs and environmental impact of mineral resource acquisition whenever possible to third world countries anyways. Environmental interest groups in the US typically successfully reign in the rape, ruin and run of historical mining operations, insisting on preserving view corridors, air quality and iconic destinations that often go unchecked overseas.

There, does that stir up the hornet's nest? -spoke from someone who has lived and worked both sides of this decisive issue.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-19-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Mel, ejfranz, grewen and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

thanks Fred, i was only seeing one side, now i see a 2nd side
    Ken likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I see a happy compromise ....unfortunately compromise is not so common nor so happy. That doesn't mean we can't still make that a goal.
    Allanb and Ken like this.

Private industry recently put a Tesla automobile into orbit. I refuse to believe that we can't mine, drill and transport our natural resources safely. Energy independence would open a lot of doors for our economy but I believe we should do it with as minimal a risk to the environment as current technology would allow.

Tom
    Trail Woman, Allanb and Ken like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

[QUOTE=Dryden-Tdub;848273]Private industry recently put a Tesla automobile into orbit. I refuse to believe that we can't mine, drill and transport our natural resources safely. Energy independence would open a lot of doors for our economy but I believe we should do it with as minimal a risk to the environment as current technology would allow.

Thats always been my thought Tom. It can be done responsibly, and should. but out politicians won't hold a mining company or cattle grazer to it. Must be because they are bought and paid or they wouldn't get that consulting job or on the board of directors .And history has shown that individuals or corporations corporations by and large take what they can get than leave the tax payers holding the bag for a superfund site, flat-topped mountains, or land so overgrazed, a praire chicken can't even live on it. Whew, there just my 2 cents
    Ken and Trail Woman like this.

Grewen, we have a TW200 facebook group for those of us in Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4546...f=group_header
    Ken and grewen like this.

Sorry if I sounded conservatively pro-industry or anti-environment. My sentiments vary from conservationism to preservationism while in search of realistic solutions. Sometimes we just need to pick up other's messes.liberals.jpg
    This roadside photo near Mono Lake caught my eye.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Anybody ever run Scenic Hwy 12 on their TW? Unfortunately I was in a 30 ft RV, but what an incredible drive. Cheers
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links