I bought a KLR650!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    It's clearance season people, so I had to strike while the iron was hot. The Kawasaki dealer across town was offering some stupid deep discounts on their remaining 2012 KLRs, so I was able to convince the Kawasaki dealer on this side of town (who actually still had 1 in the color scheme I really wanted) to beat the other dealer's clearance price!

My wife got her MC license and she's been riding my TW a lot, so a second bike was the only answer. I wanted something with a little more wind protection and highway capability but that could handle the FS roads as well so that we could ride them together. I looked at all of the options, talked to a lot of riders, read a lot of forums and reviews, and even actually sat on a handful of bikes to boot. When I sat on the KLR650, I knew that was my bike.

As I said, we're keeping the TW, and in no way is my purchase of a KLR a rejection of the TW. The TW is still a great bike, and I plan to still ride it quite a bit. I don't see an OHV stamp in the future for the KLR, but I do look forward to hitting the FS roads with it once I get a little more comfortable. The TW is a glorious little mountain goat, and you just have to love it for that!

My first impressions of the KLR?

I rode it home from the dealership, and any ideas I had about swapping out the factory seat for a low saddle are out the window! I thought the 35" seat height would be a lot more challenging to my 31" inseam than it actually is, and the feeling of dominance from that lofty perch is too satisfying to give up!

The difference in power is almost absurd. Coming from a TW I don't see any problem keeping the new bike under 4K rpm for the break-in. Much more than that and I might just die from a fatal case of sh*t-eating grin! I was plenty intimidated by even the TW's 196ccs when I first started riding, and I don't think I would have been able to handle the KLR without my 3000 miles of T-Dubbing experience. The engine feels very different also, I think it's the size of the piston and the dual counter-balancers that make it feel much more refined. I have gotten used to the much rawer connection to the TW engine, which though small is pretty aggressive and lets you know how it's doing pretty vocally! Riding the KLR will take some getting used to in terms of engine feedback.

In that department though, I'm really happy to have a tachometer and temp gauge on the KLR. The controls overall are pretty close to the TW's, so I instantly felt comfortable with the switches and such. I think the starter button and kill switch are actually identical on the two bikes.

The suspension is on a whole different level. The cushy feeling I got from the KLR when I first sat on it was a big part of what sold me. Riding home on one of the roughest strips of road in town was a breeze. I'm already a fan of the rear disc brake too.

I'm really glad to have a new bike, but I'm really glad to be able to keep my TW too. This forum is great and although I suppose I'll have to join the KLR forum now I'm too hooked on this one to leave completely! Thanks to everybody, especially to those who've helped me make the decision to pull the trigger on this KLR!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Congrats on the KLR. It is a good looking bike. I still think about getting something like that, just not anytime soon I'm afraid...
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

You bought the blue one. Good choice as everyone knows blue KLR's are much more refined than other colors. If you have any questions ask. Several members of this forum also have KLR's. Now what farkles are you going to add?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Enjoy!

Beware the Farkelmonster. That which falleth over must eventually be made upright.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Cough *doohickey* cough.

Enjoy!

Congrats.....id love to have one of those also. Stopped in the moto shop a couple days ago to drool.
    2008 TDUB

Quote Originally Posted by turborob View Post
    Cough *doohickey* cough.

Enjoy!

+1. The only things that wear out on an un-doohickied KLR are the timing chain and cam gears. I think it's pretty sad that you have to correct a known defect yourself, but you own a TW so you oughta be used to that

I have the doohickey tools if you need them.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Lots of people hold off on the doohickey thinking it just an internet problem. Sorry but my tensioner spring was not doing anything with less than 1k miles! You may try talking to your dealer and see if they will replace it for you. If not then tackle it yourself. Not a real hard job and you will get to know your bike better.

Seeing a trend here?

I've got the tools, which are kinda spendy but make the job a little easier. I'd be happy to lend them to you. There are workarounds for the tools but by all means "do the doo".

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Congrats on the new KLR. Excellent choice. However I may be biased....

Now all ya need is a KLX...
    "... so take my comments with a grain of salt (just trying to up my post count

to make it look like I know what I'm talking about) " - jlmoulto

2012 Odometer: 10584 Kms

KLR: 6046 Kms

KLX: 3630 Kms

TW: 900 Kms

1996 KLR650 (23,000 + ) Kms

2007 KLX 250 (41,000 +) Kms

1997 TW200 (13,000 +) Kms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links