Yamaha vstar 250 ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alright, so I'm pretty sure I will be getting a cruiser style bike for next season. The ones that are tempting me are as the title states vstar 250, or 650, and the suzuki s40. Though of late the s40 is becoming less of a favorite choice.

I'm not a big guy, 5'2 150lbs. So I don't need a big bike. That said when I'm on the hwy I'd like to be able to pass vehicles when needed without too much strain on the bike. From what I've read on a few reviews around the web the 250 can do 85mph top speed. Now if this is true it is more than enough power for me.

I guess what throws me off is when I read reviews on other bikes like the 650 vstar, or the s40 (650cc) and they state that these bikes aren't great for the hwy speeds.

So anyone here had any experience with the virago, or the vstar 250 or even the 650?

thanks for reading

Tourist, I'm no expert but my alternative cruiser is the Kawasaki EN500. The reviews claim it will outdo the Yamaha 650s, and other of that general size range. If I had to point out potential negatives, its not as heavy or big as the larger bikes but that should not be a problem for your body size (nor is it for mine and I'm 6'), and secondly there are not a lot of "trick" aftermarket gadgets for it (yes windshields, saddlebags, pax seatbars, and bag supports, but no fairings or super chrome addons. We are not talking 85 mph, that thing will run 110 plus (faster than I'll ever ride it). Cost wise its not an expensive bike and like the tw200 has stayed amazingly the same over more than a decade (but was discontinued this years (in the USA at least), but they are available on the used market. Here's mine and it meets all of my needs as a highway bike.

And before the hwy bars/engine guard.

50 mph with a 150 mile range - its a fun ride. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

For someone of your stature; that 250 looks pretty appealing, and as you already know; Yamaha makes a good product. That little twin 250 will have plenty of go in it. Think of it as two 125's strapped together. Plus; there's always enhancements you can make to it for even more grunt. I've had a good number of big bike's; even a couple of sportsters; but I always go back to the smaller, lightweight bikes. They are just more suitable for lightweight riders. This is of course just my opinion.

Ride on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I nearly bought a V-Star 250 a couple weeks ago. Found a low mileage one at a good price. The wife thought that I had enough bikes at the moment.

I had a V-Star 650 Classic 7 or 8 years ago. I enjoyed it a lot. It was all I needed for around town. On the interstate, it left me wanting a bit more power.

I kept it a little over a year, when I sold it and got an 1100cc Honda Shadow, which had enough power for the interstate highways. Then the Honda went, and I got involved with BMWs and Triumphs......

I still catch myself "eyeing" V-Star 650s when I see one.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I had a 2009 VStar 250, I sold it back in June, & I've been kicking myself ever since!! I'm right at 6', and 220 lbs. That little bike had no problems hauling my fat gut around. I could do 70 all day long. And if I had been smart enough to keep it, I would have changed the sprockets & chain to get a little more speed out of it. When I bought it a little over a year ago, it was immaculate, with only 29 miles on it! (Yes, 29 miles.) I really liked & miss the bike, I bet you would like the bike if you got to ride one. Remember, stock sprockets are for beginner riders, & if you changed them out, you'll be going pretty much as fast as you want to go. I was looking at a Tai Heist, until I found the VStar, WWAAAAYYYY better bike by a long shot. m.

Oh yeah, and the bike always got a lot of looks! Sounds cool too. m.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes House of Madness View Post
    I had a 2009 VStar 250, I sold it back in June, & I've been kicking myself ever since!! I'm right at 6', and 220 lbs. That little bike had no problems hauling my fat gut around. I could do 70 all day long. And if I had been smart enough to keep it, I would have changed the sprockets & chain to get a little more speed out of it. When I bought it a little over a year ago, it was immaculate, with only 29 miles on it! (Yes, 29 miles.) I really liked & miss the bike, I bet you would like the bike if you got to ride one. Remember, stock sprockets are for beginner riders, & if you changed them out, you'll be going pretty much as fast as you want to go. I was looking at a Tai Heist, until I found the VStar, WWAAAAYYYY better bike by a long shot. m.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will do some more research and soul searching till next season. Key factors in my decision by then will be, price, insurance cost, capability , how the bike fits me, etc.

Right now one of the things I like about the 650 is the shaft drive. Not having to adjust the chain now and then would be sweet.

I see both bikes at reasonable prices used averaging about $1000. more for the 650.

Next season I want to do a lot more camping with the bike. The places I want to go to are anywhere from 3 to 5 hours away by interstate type hwys. Some even 12 hours away.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for your input. This forum really is one of the best

Quote Originally Posted by losttourist View Post
    Thanks for the input. I guess I will do some more research and soul searching till next season. Key factors in my decision by then will be, price, insurance cost, capability , how the bike fits me, etc.

Right now one of the things I like about the 650 is the shaft drive. Not having to adjust the chain now and then would be sweet.

I see both bikes at reasonable prices used averaging about $1000. more for the 650.

Next season I want to do a lot more camping with the bike. The places I want to go to are anywhere from 3 to 5 hours away by interstate type hwys. Some even 12 hours away.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for your input. This forum really is one of the best

If you have ANY prospects for EVER hauling a passenger, REALLY loading gear for camping, or doing any LONG distance riding, I recommend bigger than 250. There are many "middle-weights" cruisers, with low seat heights, out there, and with decent pricing. You'll never regret having more room and more power. You will regret having buying too small. Like buying a car without AC. Might not use it a lot, but nice to have when you want it! And I am a big fan of the shaft drives.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyMc View Post
    If you have ANY prospects for EVER hauling a passenger, REALLY loading gear for camping, or doing any LONG distance riding, I recommend bigger than 250. There are many "middle-weights" cruisers, with low seat heights, out there, and with decent pricing. You'll never regret having more room and more power. You will regret having buying too small. Like buying a car without AC. Might not use it a lot, but nice to have when you want it! And I am a big fan of the shaft drives.

I hear you, and I am really leaning toward the 650 vstar at this point. The 250 appeal to me is it being nimble like the tdub

And back in the day I did buy that damn mustang without AC what a mistake!!

Taking trips with gear, etc.? You'll want the 650. Just scooch'n around, the 250's great.

The nice thing about either is the used price, & the quality of bike you get for it. There are lots of VSTAR 650's for sale out there, so when you're ready, take your time & shop around. m.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links