other bikes/technical help? (easy)
Close

Are these pads off my sons XR80 toast or no? He layed it down the other day and told me it was because he had to use the front brake coming down a hill. I checked his rear brakes and I had to push the pedal way way down before it would grab at all. No adjustment on the rod made any difference so I pulled these off for a gander. I don't have experience with brakes but I guess the pads are toast? What say you all knowing ones? If so then what exactly do I need to replace, just the pads? Anything else I need to do to do the job right? I'll search for a how to video, I'm sure there are a few about. Thanks.

I can't really tell by the photos if they are bad or not. They shouldn't be too expensive to replace though. When you buy a shoe set you should get the springs with it. Put the two shoes together, attach the springs and put the whole assembly onto the plate. Very easy to do.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I can't really tell by the photos if they are bad or not. They shouldn't be too expensive to replace though. When you buy a shoe set you should get the springs with it. Put the two shoes together, attach the springs and put the whole assembly onto the plate. Very easy to do.

That's it? That's all there is to do? LOL! People pay bike shops to do these things... it absolutely amazes me! Some folks have too much money on their hands and not enough grease. I think they must be done for but anyone else with insight please chime in, guess I'll just start shopping around for the best price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubble D's View Post
    That's it? That's all there is to do? LOL! People pay bike shops to do these things... it absolutely amazes me! Some folks have too much money on their hands and not enough grease. I think they must be done for but anyone else with insight please chime in, guess I'll just start shopping around for the best price.

Prior to mounting the pads; go at the inside of that plate with a bronze brush, and some sort of cleaner. Do the same with the drum. Then liberally spray them both with brake cleaner. Use some sort of waterproof(marine) grease wherever lubrication is required, and go easy with it.

Don't get the cleaner on the new shoes! Make sure everything is dry before you install.

Kwizard is right on. Remove the shoes and clean up the backing plate. I use break cleaner, but some good dish soap and hot water will do it too. Make sure everything is clean and dry before you put the new shoes on.

Just like assquatch20 said don't get anything on your shoes. No grease and no cleaner.

If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Thanks a lot guys, I wouldn't know what to do without this forum.

Now's a good time to check the wheel bearings and don't over tighten the axle nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Now's a good time to check the wheel bearings and don't over tighten the axle nut.

Indeed, I thought that myself. Though I'm not putting any more money into this bike, I'm looking to sell it over winter (hopefully) and get him a 100cc for next year. Dentist said he's about to have a growth spurt. lol Didn't realize the dentist could tell such things but OK doc.

Sponosred Links