Welding outdoors in neighborhood - yay or nay?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Welding outdoors in neighborhood - yay or nay?

Welding outdoors in neighborhood - yay or nay?

Hi all,

Just bought a newbie welder to see if it's something I want to get into but I have a question. One of the projects I want to tackle is a broken wrought iron fence. But I live in a housing tract so I'm wondering if I need to be worried about other people's eyes when I'm welding the fence.

Like what if my neighbors look out their window, or walk down their driveway, will they be blinded by the flash? Or does that only happen to people who are really close to the arc, like 20 feet?

I could try to park my car in the way, to partially block the arc from view while I'm working. Hoping I don't have to put up a special tent or something. Also, are there any laws regarding this?

They'd have to stare at it for quite a while before they got any kind of injuries from looking at. Glancing at it will not be a problem as they probably aren't going to stare. I'd be more worried about fire concerns than eye protection of folks in the neighborhood. Keep an extinguisher close at hand. Also I'm not sure how much welding you've done up to this point but welding iron requires special rods or wire.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...ed-by-welding/
    2004 VSTROM 650
    1978 GS1000

biggest thing is don't start a fire with your goggles on all you'll hear is a roaring sound and you'll wonder what happened lol
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    They'd have to stare at it for quite a while before they got any kind of injuries from looking at. Glancing at it will not be a problem as they probably aren't going to stare. I'd be more worried about fire concerns than eye protection of folks in the neighborhood. Keep an extinguisher close at hand. Also I'm not sure how much welding you've done up to this point but welding iron requires special rods or wire.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...ed-by-welding/
    Never welded anything in my life, so I appreciate the tip. I just bought what is probably the cheapest welder in the world, a flux core 125 amp welder from Harbor Freight. I figure that if I enjoy it or find it super useful, I can graduate to a more expensive welder as my skill increases.

how are you going to power it out in the yard?
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I've got tha same welder. It does nearly anything I need around the house and in the garage. Not fancy but serviceable. Do yourself a favor and take that spool of wire that came with it and throw it away. Go on Amazon or to your local welding supply and get a spool of name brand wire. Even if you're experienced at welding the garbage wire that comes in that unit makes it impossible to get a decent weld.

Swing by a metal shop and ask to get a few pieces of scrap ad practice on scrap before doing actual welds. It'll help a lot ad you'll learn the machine before you weld on something people have to look at

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2004 VSTROM 650
    1978 GS1000

Two quick pieces of advice:

As Downs said, practice, and if at all possible, practice on the same material you are going to weld on.

Clean the metal surfaces prior to welding. Flap disc, steel brush or sandpaper if thats all you have, then hit it with Acetone. Try and shield any wind if outdoors.

Good welds are no accident. Good weldors are true artists.

Anyone with half a brain will not be staring at it. If a bunch of people gather to stare at the light like moths I'd stop and disperse them. Wrought iron might be your bigger issue. I don't know if you bought a stick or mig welder, but I've always heard iron takes special filler material. I'm not a welding expert buy a long shot, but I've played with mig, stick, and torch welding. If I were to try what your suggesting I'd probably try a stick welder first with proper rods. I'm sure welding experts could weight in on this better than me.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Sorry, Just saw you have a cheep flux core unit. It's not meant for wrought iron. more like reasonably thin sheet metal. it wont produce enough "arc" to really hurt anyone. Wrought iron will disperse a lot of the heat and probably not get a good pool of liquid metal to really weld. I don't know of your power situation, but your going to want a real heavy power cord and the shorter the better. Good luck, have fun, and don't zap yourself.

Outside sounds better then my friend in his apartment. You could make up a few bold signs around your work space. Something short and effective like "CAUTION LOOK AWAY FROM WELDER"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links