usmc klr650!
Close

Thread: usmc klr650!

2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Hayes Diversified is only a couple of miles from my house.

Over the last ten years or so I've watched development of the bikes and they've been a frequent sight around town.

They run, too. I rode alongside the owner of the company awhile back on my gas KLR. I waved at him, peeled off onto Interstate 15 haulin arse and when I looked behind me he was right on my butt.

They've made diesel motorcycles fully viable. As I understand it the military demand has delayed production of civillian versions. I wants one.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

awesome. would love to have a diesel bike
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think I would pay a shocking sum for a multi-fuel bike. I've been in some places where that would have been fantastic (parts of SubSaharan Africa where no one has a vehicle out in the bush, so the only places to fuel up are cities).

I've always liked the military brush busters. Just simple and rugged (and nobody in that video is coming up with a pinched hand). Does anyone know where to get something like that? I suppose I could have them fabricated.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

A lot of stock parts are used when they're deemed adequate but the bike is loaded with other stuff which isn't readily apparent. Some of them are available from the same aftermarket vendors used by Hayes and can be purchased for use on civilian KLR's (At a cost, that is. I think the rear shock is somewhere near $700). The fairing is the old KLR250 version with blackout modules, etc. For a time Hayes was selling all the unused N.O.S. parts as well as some of the improved Milspec stuff but I think either their government contract now prohibits the practice or they're simply too busy building bikes.

They basically blow apart a new production KLR and put it back together using tougher stuff, then install their proprietary diesel.

The tanks, sharkfin, shock, shifters, etc. can be had from outside sources so it's possible that the handguards and other items may be, as well.

Some of what goes into the internals:

Some of what the future may hold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mnd6drdNfA

http://guerrantwebworks.com/hdt/press.htm

I don't know if our EPA will ever permit sales in the U.S. I know they have plans to partner for production in several countries in the future, but mostly in the third world. This may prove another Smartcar fiasco in which the only way it's even remotely Smart is if we got the Euro diesel version.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I was about to call up my bank's spurious luxury purchase loan officer when I saw that Ducati was offering a Diesel Monster, but then I read the bottom part of the web page and saw that the bike doesn't actually run on diesel, it is simply appointed with various styling accents determined by some clothing company called "Diesel".

False advertising at its most foul!

As far as a multifuel bike is concerned, I have to think of the Multifuel M35A2 Deuce and a half, which costs the US military something like $500K new and sells for about $5K used a few years later. That gets a solid 6mpg at 35mph no matter what blend of hydrocarbons you dump in the tank! The efficiency compromises needed to run a motorcycle with similar technology would result in something approaching the weight and versatility of a Harley Road King with the power and roadworthiness of a Rokon, featuring the range of a Ryobi edger!

I think most gasoline motorcycles can haul more than enough fuel onboard to extend touring range to trans-continental distances, I mean, there are stretches of highway right here in AZ where the government has erected signs advising motorists to fill up while they can because there's nothing between this sign and the place where half a tank runs out.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Nah. Not your typical gummint boondoggle, this bike. Runs as well about as well your spiffy new gas model, weighs less and gets more than twice the fuel mileage. I've ridden alongside one. This ain't no deuce and a half.

They'd already be players in the civilian market if not for the military demand. The reason they're negotiating civilian versions in India and elsewhere is not because the bike is a dog, but doubtless related to the stupidity they'll encounter with introducing a new diesel ANYTHING in this country.

I only hope The Acronyms don't leave we in the U.S. sitting out the diesel bike revolution as spectators.

Maybe Hayes will let me sweep their floors so I can claim to be part of it. lol.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Well, why the heck didn't I get to take this class in the Corps?! lol.

Cool video and article, thanks.

You'd think they'd at least swap out the throttle to the other side, and equip any MCer with a .45/9mm, though.

My Grandma told me stories of her brother riding in a sidecar to draw sniper fire and shoot back in WWII.

Scary stuff.

I would love to own a diesel bike! I think it's awesome that they got R Lee Ermey to narrate this video! It would have been cool to have him as a drill instructor back in boot camp!

z
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links