Should I go back to riding dirt bikes...?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Should I go back to riding dirt bikes...?

Question Should I go back to riding dirt bikes...?

I have had several injuries over the years: broken toe, broken arm, broken wrist, bad concussion (with short term memory loss/lapses in consciousness...), broken ribs... The last one caused me to sell my bikes and all my gear and quit riding. I did "quit" once before, roughly eight years ago, for a similar reason, but didn't actually sell my TW200 that I owned at the time, and then got back into it. My last injury was losing half of my left testicle (no, not a joke, sadly). My brother got out of riding at the same time I did, roughly eight months or so ago, because his old XR600 wasn't holding up and he didn't have money. He just bought a brand new 2018 Beta 390RRS
    ( https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-390-rr-s ), and will take possession within two or three weeks. Anyway, I had decided to never go back to dirt bikes because I don't want to be sterile/I want to be capable of getting it done, even if it would never actually happen. So that's why I stopped. Additionally, I'm on a student budget and never plan on making big bucks at all (just enough to barely support myself, tbh).

But I do miss the thrill and adrenaline rush that you can't get anywhere else, and I've been sort of thinking about getting a new DRZ and building it for extreme enduro. Some have suggested just easing back into it and cruising fire roads and such, but that just doesn't work for me. If I'm going to ride, I want to haul ass and tear up the toughest terrain. Otherwise I may as well just take a hike (and I do actually do that sometimes...).

Not that y'all aren't biased, but what do you people think? Is losing half a left nut a good reason to quit riding? Was I stupid to sell my bikes at a loss? Should I buy another and keep riding until death parts me from this world? Or was I being smart? Did I make the right decision? Should I stick with what I chose to do and keep looking at other hobbies (I've been shooting, dancing, hiking, etc.)?

Disclaimer: your opinions and perspectives may or may not carry any real weight, LOL... I just feel really screwed up. Off roading is in my blood, and I feel a little empty inside not doing it, but at the same time, I think about responsibility, self-sufficiency, and being an adult. Sigh.
    Trail Woman, Miaugi and Swingarm like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

KJ, you strike me as the sort of fellow who should be on his very own Beta 390RRS, or at least a Pre-Owned Betas | Beta USA.
    You seem to have the zest for riding that might let you get you hurt on a lesser machine. Your body deserves the best.
    Lyterx, Swingarm and kj7687 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Risk vs Reward is always a tough question to answer. Do you have the money to buy a good bike,gear and all the other stuff to support it? Do you live close to a riding area with a street legal bike or do you have to trailer it? Also if you do get hurt what can happen? Lots of tough questions that will need honest answers. I will say this while I've never lost a nut I have gotten pretty busted up over the years but never quit!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Buy a mountain bicycle and ride the hell out of it, but do ride with a helmet.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

My opinion and my opinion only, but if you can't enjoy riding without the thrills and adrenaline, I would seriously recommend that you give it up and concentrate on other stuff. Riding like that is gonna either kill you or, just as likely, cause you to live out the rest of your life paralyzed and in pain. It's just not worth it.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

I only started riding dirt bikes at age 39 and have since been working my way into hard enduro with a Tdub. I have a physical job and can't afford to be injured so I take on reasonable challenges and think ahead with my escape plan if I have to bail.

It all comes down to risk assessment. Maybe you want to consider a different approach to where your power is on your bike so it's there when you need it but not too easy to loose control. Like a weighted fly wheel and less responsive throttle. That and better protective gear.

With the weight of the Tdub I've been weighing my options on a second bike and the DRZ125L, the KLX140G and the CRF150F are my current top picks. I'm leaning towards the kawasaki ATM. It has to best power to weight ratio if I'm not mistaken. The only downside is lack of a kickstarter. I did want a 2 stroke for every reason but noise..I forgot how annoying all that buzzing is.

If it’s in your blood, save up enough for really good gear before you buy a bike. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

So KJ, think those injuries would have happened on a more capable bike? Trying to build skills on a lesser bike just gets you injured when the bike's brakes, suspension or power delivery let you down. If you are hard wired for the thrills then alternate hobbies will be forever disappointing.
    Smitty Blackstone and kj7687 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Give the guy a break – he only lost half a nut ….

On a technicality, that should make him ¾ nuts, but I suspect that’s not entirely going in the right direction

KJ – let me give you my own personal take on all of this

I gave up riding for close to 20 years, and for much the same reasons. But “back in the day”, I rode in central London as a despatch rider, where the average life expectancy was six months – I did it for six years

Rather inevitably (I was young and full of stuff and magic back then), I ended up “pranging the kite” rather badly, and decided that I’d pushed my luck as far as it could go. I figured that “shit happens, drive a tank”, and at the tender age of 35, I passed my car test. This didn’t entirely go according to plan, but then choosing a Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 (with an unlimited slip diff) didn’t help.

The point being, that back then, I was still crazy, not in a mad way, but in a – well, OK – just crazy

Moved out from London to Hampshire, still considered the roads as an obstacle course, and stuck to cars from a need to stay alive rather than anything else. But when I moved to Anglesey a few years ago, the survival rules changed. Here was a place where I could ride and survive (crossed fingers), where traffic was light, and someone with my skills (and a low performance bike) could once again experience the freedom

Biking is in my blood – through and through – but traffic conditions (and a brain) made me supress that. Anglesey and the TW have allowed me to get back out there and do what comes naturally – ride

I don’t need speed, or adrenalin, just a (relatively safe) environment where I can be myself

My point is this – if your brain is telling you it’s not safe, listen to it – it’s probably right

But expect that when you’re 60 like me, you will still have that itch – (but by that age, somewhat less use for your nuts)

I knew the TW seat was crap, but I never considered the possibility of losing half a nut over it

Only you can answer your question – but when it feels right it usually is – and the same goes for when you have doubts ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Missing left nut aside KJ, haven't you always had problems mechanically speaking with your motorcycles? Reading your past posts on this, it seems like m/c's running was always of great aggravation and cost which you may want to consider.
    Smitty Blackstone and kj7687 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links