• 5 Post By Smitty Blackstone
  • 8 Post By Smitty Blackstone
  • 5 Post By Swingarm
  • 5 Post By plumbstraight
  • 2 Post By Hoot Gibson
  • 2 Post By Allanb

Thread: Downsizing

Downsizing

My sister asked if I would consider breaking off a piece of property for her son and family. I got to thinking about it and thought why not let them have the whole place with the stipulation to be able to park my trailer here as I need.

I figure to go on the road quite a bit and spend time with my children spread across the country and spend some time riding with other TW folks across the nation. Still having a place to root at times seems like a good idea. Best part is we all get along great.

Now to downsize. A lot of toys, tractors and rolling stock. The shop stuff I will just leave as he likes to do woodworking and I know I would use it from time to time myself. So, anyone want a cruiser or tw I have a 1500 kawaski and a 94 and 03 TW I will let go of for starters. Anyone interested, send me a pm. Need a tractor?

I need a tractor! But for some reason The Admiral is afraid he might come up missing without a trace if I were to get one..
    Sometimes I really miss you, but then I can't remember where I buried your body.....

Plumb; you are being kind to think of that for them. You may have mentioned in the past that your sister lives with you already.

When I was younger; I had a couple of different relatives that sold their homes and traveled with trailers/5th wheels.
    That worked for awhile and then got old. So they would just end up living in their trailer in a trailer park full time.
    Then that got old, and they would have to buy another home - or rent.

Having heard judges tell people it is more important when family is involved to make sure everything is written out and properly documented - and watched things go badly in court hearings that tear families apart; might it be better to keep the property as is. You could still let them stay in the house - and stay in your trailer when you come home.

Hopefully nothing bad would ever happen between you and/or your family members. But if it did, and the property was in their name; you could be left out in the cold with no say, in a courtroom setting.
    The land could be sold by a party or the court; with you getting zip. You could always leave it to them in case something happens to you. Would just hate to see that happen to someone who is trying to be caring to others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Get a backhoe. This way he won't have to wonder that he'll come up missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Admiral View Post
    I need a tractor! But for some reason The Admiral is afraid he might come up missing without a trace if I were to get one..

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Best advice is this:

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    Plumb; you are being kind to think of that for them. You may have mentioned in the past that your sister lives with you already.

When I was younger; I had a couple of different relatives that sold their homes and traveled with trailers/5th wheels.
    That worked for awhile and then got old. So they would just end up living in their trailer in a trailer park full time.
    Then that got old, and they would have to buy another home - or rent.

Having heard judges tell people it is more important when family is involved to make sure everything is written out and properly documented - and watched things go badly in court hearings that tear families apart; might it be better to keep the property as is. You could still let them stay in the house - and stay in your trailer when you come home.

Hopefully nothing bad would ever happen between you and/or your family members. But if it did, and the property was in their name; you could be left out in the cold with no say, in a courtroom setting.
    The land could be sold by a party or the court; with you getting zip. You could always leave it to them in case something happens to you. Would just hate to see that happen to someone who is trying to be caring to others.

I can understand why old w says that and I will also say get on down to Quartzsite this winter

I too need to down size a bit. But tell me about your tractor.

4x4 with loader, grapples, bushhog, rototiller, 9 in hyd feed chipper, hyd winch in loader, 50hp with creep gears, forward/reverse auto, 16 sp tranny progressive, steel tracks, just say it is the best OHV toy possible lol. It is a JD5300.

Any land deals with family, get what you want in writing and checked by a good lawyer...
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Big move. Good move. Lots of good advice here already Plumb. Lot of us with you on wintering down south. Best of luck!
    ejfranz and plumbstraight like this.

Sponosred Links