• 3 Post By TopPredator
  • 3 Post By plumbstraight
  • 6 Post By GaryL
  • 3 Post By plumbstraight
  • 3 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By JerseyJeeper

Thread: Hatsfield/McCoy feud

Hatsfield/McCoy feud

There is a book out now about the Brumfield/McCoy blood feud. Oh my, knowing that I am a decendent of these folks I looked them up. My grandfather and mother was from W Virginia. I heard them talk of the county and a small holler called Harts. Paris Brumfield was something of a desparato so it says. I heard tale of him having a family cemetery near Harts. Found quite a bit of it on facebook. Turns out he was in the confederate army of WV. My great grandfather was William Paris Brumfield. He died out here in Washington in 1925. I heard he had diabetes and had a leg taken off and kept whittling on him till he had had enough and took his life. Lots of history, looks like my gene pool was quite the rowdy bunch. Wish I could find the fathers of that clan back then. I do know that we go back to 1620 in this country. William Paris was my grandfather's dad and the one the book talks of I think was an uncle to my grandfather. Just the 13th of April his last sibling died here at my place. Bonnie has been with me for several years. She had a copy of the book and would not let me read it as it was filled with a lot of gun wounds.
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 05-01-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    admiral, Ken, JerseyJeeper and 4 others like this.

Always knew you had a bit of desperado in you.
    Ken, Allanb, plumbstraight and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Family trees can get real interesting. My family tree is more of a stump.
    admiral, Ken, TopPredator and 1 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey Plumb have you done one of the Ancestry.com DNA tests yet. I have found cousins in WV that I never knew and its been educational meeting them.

Here’s a real McCoy. Charlie Enjoy

plumbstraight, Ken and Allanb like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Hey Plumb have you done one of the Ancestry.com DNA tests yet. I have found cousins in WV that I never knew and its been educational meeting them.

Here’s a real McCoy. Charlie Enjoy

Yes, my sister did the dna thing. I know my family is from wales as far as the Brumfield part. I am more French than anything through my mother. I also have a bit of native from the Seminoles through my great grandmother. I am a mongrel for sure, just a bit of everything. The Brumfield is just by chance through the downline of male Brumfields. Is interesting stuff though. Knowing that the first one actually was part of the Jamestown start of our nation in 1602 as a cabin boy makes me want to do some digging into my beginnings. There is a sequel to the Brumfield/McCoy book coming out in a while. Will be some good reading I am sure.
    Ken, Allanb and TopPredator like this.

Your relatives lived in an interesting time and area. When I retired from my NY Prison job I took a job as the GM in a big Honda, Kawasaki and KTM shop in Belfry, KY which is right across the river from Williamson, WV. This is the epicenter of the Hatfield/McCoy conflicts. Some of the old buildings still have the bullet holes from the feuds that were constant between these wars. That is Coal Country and it was a very depressed area when I was there back in 2001-2002. The Hatfield/McCoy ATV trail system runs through all of those hollers and there were warnings all over to not venture off the actual trail paths and into uncharted areas. Bootleggers making moonshine, Pot growers with big grow sites that were bobby trapped and Meth cookers who were lawless abound. ATVs were the common mode of transportation to get up into those hills and we sold a ton of them every week. Riding with the locals who worked at the shop was an eye opening experience because they knew where the No Go zones were to stay away from. Some of those folks are still fighting the civil war and still others are locked in family feuds that are generations old. It was the strangest place I ever lived and no place for a NY Yankee and retired LEO. Probably some of the most beautiful country for deep woods riding but dangerous if you don't know where to go or stay away from. The town of Logan, WV was the place to go for down home Bluegrass music all summer long and every weekend there was some sort of music festival with a big BBQ and street fair. If you have relatives that remain there you really should go visit but be sure to ride with locals and not venture off by yourself.

GaryL
    Ken, TopPredator, Purple and 3 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

As my aunt just passed and I was cleaning out the house she owned, I came across some letters from WV. I got on the phone and called some of the sirnames I found. There is a huge clan of Brumfields back there. Also saw some names I remembered from listening to my grandparents. One of her nieces, a Bragg that lived in Bogg. I called a number and just by luck she was home. She had lost her husband 10 years ago and we talked at length. Gives me goose bumps that she actually knew my great grandfather on my gma's side. He was her father. He was nearly 7ft tall and she remembered his long legs lol.

Also found a postcard that showed a picture of NY. Was sent to her Feb 3 1914. She would have been 19 and not married yet.
    Purple, TopPredator and Ken like this.

Visiting your ancestors in WV would be interesting for sure. Different folks for sure but you being from Washington would probably be OK. Not so much if you were a NY Yankee even being related. They have a strong tendency to hang onto the past and grudges like wars and family feuds. The Hollers you mention can be some very strange places. Some are many different but very tight knit families all living in one general area and like close family while others have one side that hates the other and constantly warring with each other. A Holler is where a creek or gorge cuts sharp between two mountains and you can live on one side or the other. Some have bridges connecting them and others don't. A house or cabin on one side might be just 100 yards away from one on the other side but you have to go a mile or more to get to it. Some have zip lines strung across them for passing goods and even people. Holler, you can holler back and forth to each other but it is a long walk down and up to get over if even possible. Road maps of that area of WV and KY show most of the main roads which are basically just secondary roads but a lot of the roads up into the hollers are not on any maps unless you get the maps from the power or coal mining companies. I have to tell you Plumb it was the most interesting place I have ever lived in along with being the most backward place. You can drive 15 miles up into the hills and come to a small town with maybe 30 houses and only houses and then the road just ends. Those folks have to come down out of the hills to get anything. None of them drive back and forth to work every day but they all do work at something out in the woods, in a field or mine on a weekly basis. Walmart on pay days is a sight to be seen and every weekend all summer long the main roads become street fairs and road side sales for just about anything you could imagine. My wife bought some very nice hand sewn quilts for very reasonable prices from the woman who made them and they would sell up here in NY for 4 times the price. If you know the antiques values you can make a killing because that entire area has history and the economy back in 2002 when I was there was seriously depressed. Fabulous riding for the TW too but like I said you have to go with a group that knows the terrain or stay on the approved Hatfield/McCoy trail system and do not venture off of it. That is very clearly posted throughout the trail system but the locals know the best places and some beautiful rides you would never find along the approved trails.

GaryL
    Mel, Donzo and plumbstraight like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    She had a copy of the book and would not let me read it as it was filled with a lot of gun wounds.
    Best not to be startin up any fuedin'

That's an interesting situation you have there, nice post. I was just in West Virginia. It is beautiful country for sure..

TopPredator has family there, in-fact he may be a ....

plumbstraight likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Sponosred Links