Toyota Frame Recall
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Toyota Frame Recall

Toyota Frame Recall

I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma which I bought second hand in 2012. About three years ago I received a notice that there was a frame recall so I took it into my local dealer to have inspected. There was a four to six month waiting list at the time so I had them spray the frame as a bandaid measure. They offered me a car but it was a week before hunting season and I needed my truck.
    Two weeks ago I took my truck in for the frame replacement and they finished it up yesterday. It’s a sweet deal if you own a vehicle that’s on the recall list. You have fifteen years from the date it was originally sold to qualify for a frame.
    They replace the frame, lower control arms, steel break lines, rear springs and other hardware.
    I elected to pay extra to have the front struts and Bilstein shocks replaced which only incurred a one hour labor charge plus the price of the parts. OEM dealer parts are expensive and I did barter them down on the parts and labor.
    If you own one of these vehicles or know someone, get it to your local dealer as soon as possible.

http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...any-34-billion

Here’s a picture of one hole in my frame.

07EC59C2-17DF-477E-A5A3-E38FC1DC716B.jpeg

A few pictures of the work completed

66393E13-17CD-40A0-9BCF-2476DF5177F9.jpeg

9EFDFD14-D934-4F95-B9EA-C37B841AFCA6.jpeg

I kept my HD springs that my brother and installed a few years ago.

62498162-00A5-4ED4-B4E0-B597D4932CC4.jpeg
    Last edited by TopPredator; 05-25-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

my buddy has several of these Tacomas a few have frame damage from collision I wonder if they would still replace the frames

I see this regards 1995 to 2004 Tacomas which I own several my buddy has those as well as several 2005 to 2009's

My trucks are all AZ rust free but still might be worth looking into
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 05-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    TopPredator and Badgerflorida like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

wow what a deal. good on Toyota. 8 years old and 2nd owner. what a pot of good!!!
    Badgerflorida and TopPredator like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    my buddy has several of these Tacomas a few have frame damage from collision I wonder if they would still replace the frames

I see this regards 1995 to 2004 Tacomas which I own several my buddy has those as well as several 2005 to 2009's

My trucks are all AZ rust free but still might be worth looking into
    I’m sure they will replace them plus the dealerships don’t bat an eye... they want the work. When I took my truck in two weeks ago I was concerned how it was going to go. I pulled into the bay and got out of my truck, the service writer said “you in for the frame replacement” and at that moment I knew then I was golden. They took me over to the rental car area and gave me a free RAV4 to drive while my truck was in the shop.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 05-25-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Placerlode, I ask the service writer if Toyota sent out recalls and do secondhand owners slip through the cracks. He replied yes but his dealership uses the DVM to locate truck owners.

I was on my way home yesterday before I picked up my truck when I saw a truck like mine pulling into a Walmart I couldn’t help it to follow him into the parking lot. I pulled up next to gentleman (Melvin) and ask if he had his frame replaced yet. He replied no so I gave him all the information where I got mine replaced.
    My service writer Derick was delighted that he has a new customer but he was off today. The only information I had on the guy was his first name, but my service writer was a little upset that he was on vacation and was going to miss his commission. He has one of his colleagues watching for Melvin today so he could come in from vacation to write him up.
    That should answer your question whether your friends qualify for a frame replacement.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 05-25-2018 at 12:07 PM.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I like Toyota Motor Corporation.
    Their products age good. Their recall and warranty services are excellent but their dealer network's normal service prices seem prohibitively expensive. Their stock continues to give me good returns and their P/E is acceptable. I have faith in their future earnings in North America as long as they avoid liability with autonomous and battery fire issues, let Tesla's legal department take the hit and charter solutions.
    Since Ford announced plans to phase out US sedan production in favor of SUVs I predict Toyota will capture even more market share for basic people movers.
    Good parent company tied to typical dealer issues not unique to Toyota.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

It's really nice that Toyota will stand behind their stuff.

Will a American company stand behind any of their junk?? Ask the Jeep guys about all the frame failures. Anything from Chrysler, nope. Spring shackles and mounts on Ford's and Chevy's, nope.
    Badgerflorida and Peterb like this.
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

I used to work as a Mazda mechanic and rebuilt maybe four transmission per year. When I switched to Toyota I told them I was willing to do their transmission rebuilds and they told me they don't bother taking them apart as they only have one or two tranny problems per year. I know mechanics that work at Ford GM and Chrysler and they all have guys that do nothing but transmission every day. I used to drive nothing but GMs but those days are long gone. My daughter driving my 1986 Toyota below.
    DSCF2576.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peterb; 05-25-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Been driving Toyotas for north of 30 years. My wife as well. About 20 years ago, my Father (A very stubborn Ford guy) was miffed when I bought my third 4 Runner. He stuck his nose up at it and said Does it have a good warranty? giving me the cocked eye Dad look. I said Dad, it's a Toyota...I'd buy it if it didn't have a warranty. I can still see the confused look on his face when I said that
    Riding a TW is like riding a piece of freedom Hidden Content
    I don't want to go where the road takes me. I want to go where it does not.

I think most of the other manufactures would have tried to sweep the whole mess under a rug. Way to go Toyota!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links