Bad Blood
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Bad Blood

Bad Blood

I read a pretty good book by John Carreyrou titled "Bad Blood". It is about a 19 year old Stanford University drop out that starts a blood testing company that grew in value to $9 billion dollars but was a con. The technology it claimed to have was a lie. The company ended up flopping. But best of all it happened locally and I have visited two of the now empty buildings her company once occupied.

If you should happen to read this book these are two of the addresses they mention. There are two or three more that I have to search out but that will be another day.

P1150047.JPG

P1150043.JPG
    scotti158, Fred, admiral and 2 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I love reading books or seeing movies that have locations I know , or are local.
    That's pretty cool.
    elime and admiral like this.

Prestigious locations, very helpful in perpetuating a fraud.
    Elime, you're very good at finding America's abandoned dreams. You visited Fremon't's abandoned Solyndra facility, right? Their groundwater have that wonderfull "optical coupling agent" showing up yet at the tap?
    Actually Solyndra's technology was sound and their demise was fiscal in nature. Sorry to see them go.
    admiral and elime like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There's always another ENRON just around the corner.
    elime likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Elime; I believe I watched a 60 minutes type show about that a week or two ago. They had some big companies or agencies duped until an/some employees figured out something was very wrong and alerted folks.
    elime and Mel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Prestigious locations, very helpful in perpetuating a fraud.
    Elime, you're very good at finding America's abandoned dreams. You visited Fremon't's abandoned Solyndra facility, right? Their groundwater have that wonderfull "optical coupling agent" showing up yet at the tap?
    Actually Solyndra's technology was sound and their demise was fiscal in nature. Sorry to see them go.
    The story I heard was the owner of Solyndra donated $100K to the Obama election campaign. After Obama got elected he had a dump truck load of money printed up and passed it out -- the owner of Solyndra got between $500 million and $750 million and then they went out of business. Of course the upper echelons had golden parachutes......a special thanks to our Commander and Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    Elime; I believe I watched a 60 minutes type show about that a week or two ago. They had some big companies or agencies duped until an/some employees figured out something was very wrong and alerted folks.
    The list of the suckered is unbelievable. The people that saw through it were threatened by her lawyer with financial ruin if they disclosed anything bad against the company. If this were fiction I would think it was a corny plot and no way that many people could be taken advantage of, but its not fiction, it is true! Shockingly true. Supposedly she is worth zero now but I have a feeling she stashed a pile somewhere and when everything is settled she will disappear and lead a luxurious quite life somewhere really nice.

Another view of 1701 Page Mill Road
    PC260044.JPG
    Last edited by elime; 07-24-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    Fred and admiral like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

One day Hollywood will make a movie (if they haven't already) of Elizabeth Holmes. How she/the company got away with this for so long is quite astonishing. Let me not do my taxes one year and "the man" would be all over me threatening to take my home, kids and even disable the sprinkler system.
    elime likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Some years back a friend who was a financial planner tried to interest me in an investment opportunity he himself had highly invested in. I was within inches of sinking some of our life savings into the investment because it was showing fabulous gains. Fortunately my Toyota dealer offered me a great deal to trade in my Tacoma and buy a new 4 Runner so I put the cash in the new SUV instead. My buddy lost his ass in Bernie Madoff's scam Ponzi Scheme and will never recover the losses he endures to this day. My late father in law lost a tidy sum when he was highly invested in Prudential Life Insurance and they got busted for the scam crap they were pulling.
    These people spend hours upon hours developing their get rich quick schemes and the only ones who ever get rich are them and more often than not they never do get caught. We were gifted with a pair of "My Pillows" last Christmas. They are supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread according to the relentless advertisements on every TV channel. What complete BS they really are and after just a few weeks of sleeping on them both me and my wife tossed them in the trash. A fool and his money will soon be parted!

GaryL
    elime and admiral like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

but you still have the 4runner, i bet it will outlast us both.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    but you still have the 4runner, i bet it will outlast us both.
    Yes I do Joe and I love it!

IMG_0954.JPG

GaryL
    Mel likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links