• 3 Post By ViolatingLlama
  • 1 Post By jtomelliott49
  • 2 Post By msmiller
  • 1 Post By ViolatingLlama
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By stagewex

Thread: New Shelter for the TW

New Shelter for the TW

Sold my home of 24 yrs and purchased a used 7x14 covered trailer that was set up to be a camper. Unfortunately my neglect in knowledge the work the person had done to covert it to a camper was incorrect. They used house wiring and did not insulate. So after six months living in it and working on it we are almost done. Next weekend we are putting in a counter and sink. So far I stripped it bare, insulated, wired with correct (stranded) wiring. Covered wall with 3/4" red oak stained and polly. Metal ceiling and a false back wall. TW will go inside when traveling. Looking to get on the road first of August. Can't wait to get riding the 6,500 miles of trails in Maine. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    Dryden-Tdub, Fred, GaryL and 11 others like this.

Miss Miller I like the way you roll. You have done a beautiful job on your trailer.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Miss Miller I like the way you roll. You have done a beautiful job on your trailer.
    Thank you was a lot of work. Learned a lot happy with how it turned out and itching to get on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jtomelliott49 and JagLite like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Snow day! Been in Maine for 6 months got to ride the trail right out the door a few times before the snow. The trail is called the pipeline and goes all the way to Canada. Had to get an upgraded skid plate (got it here) big rocks up here. The shelter is working out great warm and dry. Got running water from an artisan well that keeps working even at negative temps. Looking forward to riding the TW this summer and fall

That's pretty raw living. You should post more about how you live.

I see you have a propane wall-mounted stove, but what about cooking and such? Are you always outdoors for those activities, or do you have some kind of portable cooking setup? And hygeine- always outside; or do you whores bathe and use the trusty 5 gallon bucket with a trash bag and kitty litter?

You said you sold your house and purchased this trailer- so this is a semi-permanent living choose for you then? Enviable to say the least. A man, his dogs, and his bike.

Awesome set up. Hard to think of living without running water in the "house". I think it's great to do this adventure style living. Great job.
    msmiller likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by ViolatingLlama View Post
    That's pretty raw living. You should post more about how you live.

I see you have a propane wall-mounted stove, but what about cooking and such? Are you always outdoors for those activities, or do you have some kind of portable cooking setup? And hygeine- always outside; or do you whores bathe and use the trusty 5 gallon bucket with a trash bag and kitty litter?

You said you sold your house and purchased this trailer- so this is a semi-permanent living choose for you then? Enviable to say the least. A man, his dogs, and his bike.
    It sounds like you’re experienced in living this way. Home sold Feb 2018 started off with a pop up camper then quickly moved to this trailer. Moved to Maine September 2018 on a friends 8 acres looking to purchase a fixer. Have one 15amp extension cord coming from my friends home. Amenities: IMAC, fridge (don’t really need), propane heat, oil radiator electric, inside a single burner magnetic induction cook top ($5 from garage sale) outside double burner gas stove top. Built a tarp roof over and installed a doggy door. Shower daily in camper and couple time a week inside my friends home. Hot water from a kettle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jtomelliott49 and Fred like this.

I never lived as basic as you are, but I did live in a small travel trailer for a few years. Bought 1-1/4 acres. Paid for a well/septic/power eventually; but the first year was without any of that.

I have a house now, filled with stuff; but I have fond memories of that life. I do have an old 19' travel trailer I bought for hardly anything and replaced/upgraded the plumbing and electrical.

I replaced all the lighting with 12VDC LED, and without using the stock, forced air heater, both my wife and I can stay out for 5 days on a single deep cycle battery charge. That's running the LED lights and a 12VDC water pump with a 40 gallon water tank.

Now, I know that may not be impressive for a young man living raw, but I have a wife that needs to shower daily, curl her hair, and generally stay comfortable. When we're at campsites with power/sewer dump/water, she then is much happier, because she can shower longer and bring her hair dryer. Gone are my days of raw camping. The picture shows my 'glamping' lifestyle now.

The point I'm making is that 12 volt LED lighting, or even 120VAC LED lights can mean a big difference in power consumption. I know you're getting power from the property you're staying at, but I'd definitely consider running wire and installing 12VDC LED lights. Propane can heat the trailer.

gpHSq6FpS06XYWpw2jneYg.jpg
    Last edited by ViolatingLlama; 03-10-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    msmiller likes this.

Interesting that the state of Maine has such trails. We have been there many times and there sure are a lot of gravel roads in the northern part above Moosehead Lake but most are private owned by the paper companies that do allow you to drive them but don't allow motorcycles or camping. You pay by the day to ride the Golden Road but you have to be off by the evening and the roads are treacherous with all the big logging trucks making time with monster loads. The rule is to stay the heck out of their way. After each days ride my Tacoma 4X4 weighed 500 pounds more from the mud and grit and it took lots of quarters at the car wash to get the stuff off. We did find some fabulous brook trout fishing but no dirt bike trails we could legally ride on. At the gate to Baxter National Park it said No Dogs Allowed in the park so we were not allowed in and had to turn back heading south toward Greenville or down route 1 to the coast. I think the roads now are named North Maine Woods and it is some wild country for sure and loaded with game animals worth seeing. One place we loved was Pitston's Farm that served a great meal in one of the friendliest atmospheres we have ever experienced. The area around Rockwood is a beautiful place to visit but back when we were last there the economy had taken a serious toll and most of the lodging places and motels were closed. My wife would move to north Maine in a heartbeat but it is a very tough place to live on the cheap. I think we saw just about every wild animal in the NE US while traveling the roads up in the North Maine woods. I would go back, much better prepared just for the fishing but you have to go after the Black Fly season is over, they will eat you alive when in full force and bite right through your clothing. Even the Moose spend most of their days in the water just to get away from those vampires. The end of July through August is probably the best time to go to northern Maine IMO. Enjoy your adventures and do report your rides on the trails.

GaryL
    msmiller likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Awww, those Pups look very happy in their cot.
    msmiller likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Sponosred Links