Google Earth for Scouting
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Google Earth for Scouting

Google Earth for Scouting

Free satellite imagery is getting better and even more useful lately. I use the basic Google Earth Pro for scouting, like today I was planning some single track riding to intimidate Boarder255 this coming weekend like this ridgeline trail above camp. Resolution is usually good enough to indicate single tracks and I can often select likely camp sites that are level with good views, timelines for moonrises and sunsets, etc. in places I have never visited before.

Attachment 182518

Or another I haven't been on in years, hopefully still legal up to the PCT/Tahoe Rim Trail intersection. This one is fairly easy, gets one up to good view commanding ridgeline.
    Tahoe Rim.jpg

What is interesting and seemingly new is "Street view" actual photography being now available for some backcountry trails. Unfortunately here the imagery was taken in winter on top of deep snow pack and thus of little practical use. Of note though is that coverage is not limited to paved public roads anymore.
    buellzebub, Lyterx, Donzo and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

A good pre-ride scouting tool for sure.
    I've been using the basic google maps switching between the terrain and satellite views for scouting areas. Look for a road that goes up to somewhere that might be interesting in terrain mode so you can see the topography easy and such, then switch to sat view to see if it actually looks interesting, viewpoints, etc.
    admiral likes this.
    2017 TW200 "Lagann"
    Cycle Racks Rack, Clarke XT350 4 gal tank, Rox 2" bar risers, 12v power port, Ram GPS mount, Coleman seat cover, Wolfman tank bag, HF "Pelican" style case attached to rack, LED headlight bulb, LED spot lights on the forks wired to the high beams, lots of mud caked on.
    Future mods: Ricochet skidplate, ATV tire for snow next winter, maybe a ManRacks front rack over the headlight.

Ken
    Maybe you should work for Google earth Fred. Get paid for all that back country exploring in good weather. That would sure be some good single track routes.
    Tweaker, Dryden-Tdub and admiral like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So Fred my daughter on Catalina carried a google backpack camera to record all of the Trans Catalina trail. So yeah it’s not just roads anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Free satellite imagery is getting better and even more useful lately. I use the basic Google Earth Pro for scouting, like today I was planning some single track riding to intimidate Boarder255 this coming weekend like this ridgeline trail above camp. Resolution is usually good enough to indicate single tracks and I can often select likely camp sites that are level with good views, timelines for moonrises and sunsets, etc. in places I have never visited before.

Attachment 182518

Or another I haven't been on in years, hopefully still legal up to the PCT/Tahoe Rim Trail intersection. This one is fairly easy, gets one up to good view commanding ridgeline.
    Tahoe Rim.jpg

What is interesting and seemingly new is "Street view" actual photography being now available for some backcountry trails. Unfortunately here the imagery was taken in winter on top of deep snow pack and thus of little practical use. Of note though is that coverage is not limited to paved public roads anymore.
    admiral likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Ken great idea! Fred with a google backpack camera! maybe they will buy his TDub videos too bad they don’t have embedded GPS info.
    admiral likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I used to use Google Earth (GE) a bunch when they had the old hosted photos. A lot of places of interest had photos taken and one could use the photos as well as the satellite view. GE changed their photo system and photos are slowly coming back. I used to post photos in the old photo host system GE used but I can't figure it out now. These photos would be the ones everyone could see not just me when I was logged in. If anyone knows how to post photos to GE Pro I'd like directions. Conducting a Google and YouTube searches do not net results for the newer posting method.

For recon, I use anything and everthing available; Google Earth, Topo Maps of all sorts. I even used GAIA GPS map layers. So much to list which I use.
    Donzo and Tweaker like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Actually my Contour has imbedded GPS info, just need to build video using their proprietary software and others have to use same software in order to view it.
    Wish I could disable feature as GPS seems to be always on and thus an auto-drain battery feature that exhausts battery if left unattended.
    Plus what is really annoying is that it gives audio prompts each time it loses, or re-gains GPS signals so it tends to beep at me with same prompts as "Camera ON" and "Camera OFF" as I ride. There are times I really want or need both hands on the handlebars and do not wish to reach up to confirm the camera status.
    Tweaker likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

And you can see all the junk behind JJs shed. Lol. How much do you want for that boat JJ?

Of course I’m no better...you can see all my junk on the farm.
    Fred likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Google earth is awesome. I've been using it to find forgotten roads/trails where the entrance is grown in. Sometimes it's just a line in the trees that doesn't look natural. Other times you have to look at older images before the canopy grew over. We've found remote sandy beaches on lakes and camped with no one in sight for the weekend. On one old road we even found an abandoned aluminum boat trailer. I just wish it was updated more often. My area hasn't been updated in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    And you can see all the junk behind JJs shed. Lol. How much do you want for that boat JJ?
    It's priceless... and YES I AM WORKING ON IT! STALKER!!!

ssMinnow.JPG
    admiral, Fred and TopPredator like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links