Close

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By GaryL
  • 3 Post By CatFlap
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By jb882

Thread: Face Book on the decline!

Face Book on the decline!

WOW! what a hit Marky Mark is taking these past few days and I don't feel one bit sorry for him or his brand. I just heard his stocks lost over 120 Billion just today, that's Billion with a big B. Funny how this all comes around to bite them right in the pocket and the reason is one of my very most personal pet peeves, Censorship!

A Motorcycle forum has every right to demand any and all discussions posted on the forum are directly related to all things Motorcycles. I can relate to that and honor those rules but I probably would not spend much time clicking around in it once I find the answer I went there for. Fortunately this forum has an Off Topic section where we can talk about things not necessarily related to motorcycles. We have dog thread, Joke threads, game camera threads, truck threads, guns and picture threads and all sorts of good discussions those who enjoy being here enjoy joining in on the conversations. We are not supposed to discuss anything political but in all honesty we still do and Mark Zuckerberg decided he leaned one way where politics are concerned and it just cost his sorry ass $120 Billion and it has not hit the bottom YET!

Where discussions about politics go south is when some of us get butt hurt and the very first response is to demand Censorship! You all know it, "This is a MC forum and there is no need to have political discussions in a TW forum". Too bad there are many of us here who have other interests and like talking with our forum friends and foes about all that life has to offer over and above the TW which by the way is not all that complicated or even interesting. Nice bikes but relatively simple by nature and the fact they are pretty much the same today as they were when they first came on the scene back 31 years ago. From a purely political point of view Yamaha must be completely insane to still be pumping out these "Old School" machines yet they do keep selling them just the way they were since 1987. Good thing Marky Mark is not running Yamaha from his political stance.

Anyway, things seem to be going pretty well here in the US over the last couple years. Right here where I live employers are having a real hard time finding employees to fill all the open jobs. Everyone I know has a fatter paycheck and many got some nice bonuses or raises. My taxes have actually gone down so we have more money to spend which gets the economy running at a better pace. I can't go to my favorite restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night because the lines are out the doors with all the extra cash the folks have to spend which keeps this economy rolling. Over the past 10 years the GDP had a hard time struggling to reach 2% growth but tomorrow we should see numbers that double that and might go over 4% and don't bother to look at the stock market or your 401K if you have one or are at all invested. That damn Donald Trump guy sure has put us right in the gutter hasn't he? I don't see many folks moving here to NY, NJ, Conn, Mass, California or any other of the big Blue States but I sure have seen a mass exodus from these states to other states that have a red tinge. Who really wants to move to San Francisco, Milwaukee, Baltimore or Chicago which are all liberal, democratic run dump cities that are best to be avoided? I won't say that my state NY is a good or even slightly good place to land but hey, right here in Sullivan county, NY we have lots of available jobs for anyone willing to work and the very lowest unemployment rate in the entire state. Our leaders up in the capital, Albany, still have their heads up their asses but they are all liberal democrats so plan on ridiculous taxes and high prices for everything under the sun but we do have jobs while the folks are packing to leave and get the hell out of here. I don't want to make this a political thread but the numbers never lie. Those who are leaving will be replaced by those seeking sanctuary and looking for jobs and I am very glad I am safe for a while and on the down hill side at age 66 wishing I could stay but dreading that I just might have to move again because I can't afford any more entitled dependents who can't even speak in my language.

I do hope that Marky Mark doesn't come along and lock this discussion and that no one demands the typical censorship that seems to do no good in an open society where the first amendment is still the law of this land. This is actually some very interesting times we are living in and who really knows what the end results might be but my attitude is actually positive at the moment if we could only get Russia out of here.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Was never on it. Just another way to hypnotize the mass's.

If you want to see something funny there is an episode of the British series "The I.T. Crowd". I'm not sure what season but it's called or has to do with an on-line site called "FriendFace".
    Why things from the past should stay, belong there, nuff said.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I closed my FB several months ago. (Can never really fully delete it without a long process)
    Only thing I missed from it was I had my SPOT set up to post to it with my location and such when I was out roaming the forests. That way friends and family could see where I was and that I was fine since 90% of the time I roam alone. Only thing that had me thinking of re-activating it was that feature.
    But I got an email from SPOT the other day saying that FB is not allowing that feature anymore.
    Guess I'll just have to put a bunch of people's phone numbers on my SPOT account so everyone gets a text with a map of where I'm at. That just feels annoying to me because not all will really want that happening all of the time.... (By default family and a few friends that I do go to the forests with get texts if I'm in trouble though)

Only thing other than that I really miss from it was local dual sport groups post rides and events there and I miss all of that since very little of it gets posted up anywhere else other than a few things on ADV Rider. So I ride and moto camp alone even more now, which I actually don't mind but sometimes the company is nice.
    Dryden-Tdub, GaryL and Gulfrider like this.
    2017 TW200 "Lagann"
    Cycle Racks Rack, Clarke XT350 4 gal tank, Rox 2" bar risers, 12v power port, Ram GPS mount, Coleman seat cover, Wolfman tank bag, HF "Pelican" style case attached to rack, LED headlight bulb, LED spot lights on the forks wired to the high beams, lots of mud caked on.
    Future mods: Ricochet skidplate, ATV tire for snow next winter, maybe a ManRacks front rack over the headlight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was on FB for about a month maybe 5 years ago. I closed the account after I saw just how biased they were. I still get notices when friends who were on my list post stuff but I can't view any of it unless I sign back up which will never happen. I never signed up for Twitter or Snap Chat and won't. Twitter is under the flames as we speak for Shadowbanning only conservative views. The major problem with Censorship in any form is the censor gets to pick a side. Social Media as a whole slants left so this is the narrative they want to promote and they seek to silence those who are not with them. The first amendment says nothing about right or left as far as I can tell. The companies all blame Algorithms for the issues yet those are all assigned by the companies and all based on their own personal leanings. It stands to reason if the censor is anti second amendment the algorithms will halt all discussions regarding guns. Just imagine if you can if the admins here on the Yamaha TW forum decided they did not like Suzuki MCs and set up the site to immediately dump any discussions where the words Suzuki or Van Van were mentioned. A while back right here this site signed up with some sort of censorship program and if you attempted to advise a member that he needs to suck the old gas out of his tank the program would not allow the word suck so it changed it to some other unrelated word that was acceptable. Someone had to assign the unacceptable words that would not be allowed here and that is a very slippery slope. We all found ways around the program so instead of saying suck you might say Stuck or type S&%t so the censor program could not determine your meaning. Having real human eyes on all the words posted is simply not a possibility yet this is what entities such as FB are attempting to do. That fails because of the leanings of the individual behind those eyes. What is unacceptable to one is perfectly acceptable to another. Many words in the English language have numerous meanings and although it does suck we need to teach the children how to suck liquid through a straw. Some card games may well have a Trump card and it has nothing to do with President Trump. Just about every state in this country probably has a Clinton County and it has nothing to do with the Clinton's. Artificial Intelligence is not yet capable of dissecting how every word is used and if you have Auto Correct set up in your smart phone you will quickly learn how dumb it really is.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

AutoCorrupt sucks.
    Purple likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have never been on faceplant either and ever ever will be. The myriad of security issues that site has posed of the years makes me cringe. Given that my profession is in computer systems and i do have a role in the security aspect is see it in a different light than most.
    Nicoradv likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Yeah - the stocks bombed by a billion bucks - but was it ever worth a billion to begin with - or was it simply a figure pulled out of nowhere by the ad counters ?

We've seen a lot of these companies spouting about how much they're worth based on ad revenue, and indeed, this board is trying to sell itself to advertisers based on the same thing - facefart is a balloon waiting to be popped - I just laugh at the "investors" in thin air, and "Marky Mark" for believing in them - it's one big circle jerk

If I was "Marky", I'd sell the whole thing now for what ever he can get for it - probably billions - but actually only worth thousands at the end of the day. The biggest laugh (from me) is that "Marky" seems to be hooked by his own hype, which is rather an ironic recipe for a very "just" disaster
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Yeah - the stocks bombed by a billion bucks - but was it ever worth a billion to begin with - or was it simply a figure pulled out of nowhere by the ad counters ?

We've seen a lot of these companies spouting about how much they're worth based on ad revenue, and indeed, this board is trying to sell itself to advertisers based on the same thing - facefart is a balloon waiting to be popped - I just laugh at the "investors" in thin air, and "Marky Mark" for believing in them - it's one big circle jerk

If I was "Marky", I'd sell the whole thing now for what ever he can get for it - probably billions - but actually only worth thousands at the end of the day. The biggest laugh (from me) is that "Marky" seems to be hooked by his own hype, which is rather an ironic recipe for a very "just" disaster
    Here in the states the wealthy folks play the stock markets. The less wealthy folks tend to diversify and instead they invest in 401K accounts. Those who owned stocks in FB and Twitter are getting slammed at this moment but a lot of the 401K funds are also highly invested in these social media entities. That means the losses go around and effect even the little guys but to a somewhat lesser degree. I have no honest idea which stocks my 401K are invested in and honestly don't want to know, that's why I do the 401 route. These tech companies are extremely volatile by nature and one little blip can equate into millions and billions in losses or gains. A drug company that hits on a new and promising cure goes sky high but on the flip side if that same drug causes negative side effects or even deaths then it takes a dive in the markets.

My point with social media platforms is simply that they should be very careful with the censorship. Shutting down the views of conservatives may play well with a portion of their base and not so well with another portion. Ideological biases are the main culprit and have never played well to all. Look at the NFL with all this BS kneeling garbage. The divisions this stuff cause are simply not worth the end results. My attitude and that of millions of others is just STFU and do your job! Go protest on your own time and just play ball while respecting the way things are done pre game. The protesting players make many millions playing with their balls and this protest will have a very negative end result. Sure they do have every right to protest what ever the hell they are protesting but they are on the clock at their jobs and should do what their employer demands. Too bad their employer, The League, can't quite figure out what their Ideological biases are and with maybe 50 different team owners we end up with the division of some leaning left and others leaning right. I say make a damn rule and enforce it!

GaryL

Sponosred Links