I love our throw away society.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: I love our throw away society.

I love our throw away society.

The title says it all. We live close to a upscale neighborhood where people throw away plenty of use full stuff. They just don't want to deal with it. Just a few days ago I picked up a nice Craftsman self propelled lawn mower. Only problem? The belt had come off the drive pulley. So put belt back on,change oil and air filter and sold it for $80.00. Chairs,mowers,chain saws,trimmers the list just goes on and on. My wife brought home a nice Black & Decker roll around work bench. Other than a layer of dust it was fine. Open it up and inside is a brand new drill with a set of bits and a new sander with spare pads! Needless to say we are very happy to help people get rid of their unwanted idem's. Then clean them up and resell for spare farkle money.
    admiral, Darth, Fred and 12 others like this.

I'm waiting for some one to throw away a nice Corvette because the radio does not work.
    admiral, Ken, CatFlap and 5 others like this.

Here we have what is called a free trash pick up day twice a year. Just put discarded items at the curb and the town comes along and takes it to the landfill. In the upscale neighborhoods we get a lot of curb pickers who drive around grabbing anything they think has value and haul it away. One mans junk is another mans treasure is a reality.

One of these wealthy people called the cops on a guy picking through the trash claiming he was stealing. Cops came and caught the guy in the back section of the neighborhood with a full pick up load of the treasures he had found. In the interim the town did the pick up at the house complaining. It is a one time deal so if you miss it you blew it. The cop instructed the guy to return what ever he took back at that house to that house but there is no law breaking when scavenging garbage on trash pick up day. The home owner was highly pissed when after the town picked up all the trash the guy returned with the cop and deposited all his trash right back on his lawn. Now the guy has to take it to the landfill himself in the trunk of his Mercedes and pay the landfill fee to dump it. There is justice! The cop told the wealthy homeowner "You can't have it both ways, it's your garbage" and away they went.

GaryL
    oatmealx, Xracer, Donzo and 11 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Getting more and more into archery/bowhunting. People break arrows and then just throw them in the trash at the range. I've been collecting them to practice on when I get an arrow saw. Will also be building out novelty items with them (pens, etc.)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

Free tips,fletches and notches whats not to like?

Sold a set of dumbbells and a cooler for $20.00. More farkle money!

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    Getting more and more into archery/bowhunting. People break arrows and then just throw them in the trash at the range. I've been collecting them to practice on when I get an arrow saw. Will also be building out novelty items with them (pens, etc.)
    Here is an idea for you about your need for an arrow saw. One of my hobbies is building golf clubs and I needed a way to cut the shafts to length accurately. I bought a Delta 1 inch belt and disc sander for around $100. I removed the disc sander plate and cut a semi circle slot in the shroud. Then I bought a number of very thin metal cut off discs and instead of a disc sander I now have a great cut off machine. If this works for cutting heavy golf club shafts it will absolutely work great for aluminum and carbon arrows. I also find the 1 inch belt sander to be invaluable in my shop for many uses.

IMG_1505.JPGAttachment 183010

GaryL
    Xracer, Tweaker, Mel and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I’m a dumpster diver and proud of it. The last two trash picks was two 24” bikes that I fixed up for my Granddaughters. I took the bikes to the farm so the girls can ride when they are visiting there Grandmom
    buellzebub, Xracer, grewen and 3 others like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I just recently picked up a rechargeable lawn mower. Cost me 40 dollars to replace the cells. Works perfect.

Neighbor picked up 2 like new Stihl chain saws sitting in the front of a house with a free sign on them. Didn't run but had great compression. Some idiot put the bar oil in the gas tank and gas in the bar oil tank. Took the caps off and let them drain overnight. Put gas back in the correct tank and fired them up. Been 3 years and he's still cutting firewood with them.

Got a great deal on a 4x4 pickup cause the 4x4 didn't work. Had manual turning front hubs. On the test drive the guy gets out and turns the hubs, see the 4x4 doesn't work. Figured I could fix it so I bought it. Got home checked it out closer here the hubs were locked in opposite of each other. So when you locked one side in you unlocked the other. All I had to do was "lock" BOTH hubs in at the same time and the 4x4 worked great. So I painted a red mark on the hub so it lines up for being locked in.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links