I'm TW-less, but check what I've been working on
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So, I've been working on this bike off and on for years. Finally got a bug up my arse to finish it early this year (almost last year now), and 8 months later, it's done.

The donor bike is a 1979 CX500. I've got an 83 GL650 motor wedged into the frame, GSXR-750 front forks, wheel, and brakes, an 81 NOS tank, and the kicker: I lobbed off the stock dual shocks and mounted a swingarm from a GL500, along with a shock from a Hayabusa. I raised the bike 2" front and rear, and slapped some Shinko dual sport tires on it along with a high fender. (Couldn't figure any other easy way to mount a fender to the USD forks, and a high fender begs for dirt tires). Rear wheel is the inner hub from a CX500 bolted to the outer rim of a GL1000, to give me a 17" rear. Exhaust is completely one-off, made of mandrel-bent tubing sections welded together.

All in all, I've got *maybe* $2000 into the build, and most of that is the front suspension and the custom Mikuni carbs. I did all of the welding myself. There's not one ounce of billet on this thing either, it's very much a vintage bike with modern suspension, in the true cafe sense. The bike is not really capable of more than gravel roads, the travel is too short and the suspension is too stiff to be a serious off-road machine. But then, my original design was for a cafe bike, the scrambler thing just sort of evolved as I worked on it.

Charles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hidden Content
    Modified Motorcycles by ChopperCharles:
    Hidden Content

I can't open the link.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Try now.

Charles.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sweet! I'd love to give that a try on a twisty road.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

NiCe! How does it handle?
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

that's beautiful!

WOW! That is so cool looking!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

sweet build!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Suspension is a bit stiff, but it handles very well. the bike is heavier than a GSXR, but because there's more rake the front suspension is actually stiffer than it would be on the lighter GSXR. Rear suspension is stiff too, but with the SV650 shock on the bike it was wallowing and squishy. Right now, it's just about perfectly dialed in for twisty mountain roads. (Of which there are none around here) Pot-holed and irregular surface roads (Like where trucks stopping have caused wavy pavement) are a bit harsh, but I think less harsh than my V65 with lowered suspension and Progressive shocks.

Overall... it's a freaking blast. Very quick turn-in, it holds a line nicely, and yet doesn't feel twitchy. Compared to a stock CX500... there's really no comparison. It handles better in every conceivable way. Although, coming from a stock CX you might think it's *too* responsive, when compared to a modern sportbike (or even a not-so-modern sportbike), it's quite solidly planted.

This is my keeper, I will not be selling it

Charles.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Wow! That is one nice looking bike. I love builds that involve parts from several different bikes!!!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links