Forgotten Winchester
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Forgotten Winchester

Forgotten Winchester

Now which tree did I lean that thing up against? Rifle.jpg
    This is an interesting discovery in one of our least frequently visited National Parks. Great Basin National Park has many treasures and is worth a visit.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

A weapon like that was a highly prized tool back in the day (still today, just not as necessary). Someone leaving it behind seems very unlikely....I wonder if the original owners remains are scattered in the area....
    TopPredator, NVcowboy and Ken like this.

very timely Fred, we'll be at the caves in 1 week from yesterday. i'll keep an eye peeled for the strange stuff
    TopPredator and Ken like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Likely the owner either couldn’t find it again, or lit out of there in a hurry – pretty hard to see it against that tree

Reminds me of the time I put a black and tan bullwhip down in wheat field – took me over an hour before I could find it again, even though I knew it couldn’t be more than 20 yards away – things just “blend in” even though you know what you’re looking for ……
    NVcowboy, TopPredator and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I think Great Basin's Lehman caves has almost every interesting dry cave feature imaginable all in a compact easily arranged intimate tour. Check out the snoterites and bacon formations. I like it as much as Carlsbad, less of the Disneyland like "managed for the masses" feel that taints Carlsbad and so many other over-populated National Parks. Unfortunately most of the roadside art between Baker and the park entrance have been removed citing road safety. This is due to people stopping, enjoying and photographing the art works. It wasn't a problem when only a few cars per hour went by but the park is getting discovered.

Stuff was cute but silly. I for one shall miss Bob and Barb Wire, they were a nice couple.Bob-and-Barb-Wire.jpg

Yes lots of interesting stuff in the Great Basin.GB1.jpeg
    Wouldn't you stop your car on a deserted road to glimpse these creations along the right-of-way fence?

gb3.jpeg

gb4.jpeg

gb7.jpg

Hopefully some of these things have been saved somewhere, maybe I'll wander around in downtown metropolitan Baker, population 68 and see what is there.
    gb5.jpg

gb10.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 08-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    grewen, NVcowboy, Donzo and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Great Basin Park, a.k.a. The Big Quiet, is another of many Nevada places to see gnarled bristlecone pines several thousands of years old. Great Basin bristlecone.jpg
    So see the old .44-40 in the visitor's center & tour the adjacent Lehman caves.Great+Basin+National+Park+-+045.jpg
    ...but certainly take the road up towards Wheeler Peak, get out and hike a bit. Lots of variety between the lowlands and the sub-alpine microclimates. GB12.JPG
    gb15.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I know where that old Winchester came from!
    Anybody remember the great James Stewart western of 1950, "Winchester 73"?
    I would have been 7 years old and I was mightily impressed. I saw it again years later and remember it and "Shane" as the best westerns ever!
    I'll see if I can find on Netflix.
    Whatever happened to good westerns?

Here's Wiki's report on the movie...just look at who all is in it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_%2773

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Right said Fred. Great Basin is one of many great places to visit in our great state. I'm just a couple hours north of great basin and visit as often as I can. A ride on HWY 50. America's loneliest road brings you to Many of those locations. Great Basin, Lehman Caves, Historic towns like Ely, Eureka, and Austin, and Hickson Petroglyph Rec. Area. Theres an Ichthyosaurus there. Or as the kids call it "ickysore". And up north where I'm at theres the California trail and pony express routes. Great topic Fred.
    ....And as for the forgotten Winchester, some poor bastard went and left behind the greatest weapon ever smithed by a man. My personal favorite.
    ... And yes, Winchester '73 and Shane, two of the best westerns ever, but I usually add McClintock if I want a western and a laugh.
    Donzo, Darth and Dryden-Tdub like this.

The .44-40 lives on in Cowboy Action Shooting to this day. My Great Grandfather's lever action Winchester is in .30-30, that smokeless powder was the wave of the future and has filled many a meat locker with wholesome organic venison. We SouthPaws are a silent discriminated minority who appreciate a semi-ambidextrous gun like the Winchesters. Thus my appreciation for PeaceMakers and other wheel guns with the loading gate on the right side for us left handers. Not many patents were issued for left hand specific firearms. Thanks for modifying the 1855 Rollin White Patent to create a timeless single action design that just happens to favor us Lefties nicely.
    Mel and NVcowboy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by NVcowboy View Post
    Right said Fred. Great Basin is one of many great places to visit in our great state. I'm just a couple hours north of great basin and visit as often as I can. A ride on HWY 50. America's loneliest road brings you to Many of those locations. Great Basin, Lehman Caves, Historic towns like Ely, Eureka, and Austin, and Hickson Petroglyph Rec. Area. Theres an Ichthyosaurus there. Or as the kids call it "ickysore". And up north where I'm at theres the California trail and pony express routes. Great topic Fred.
    ....And as for the forgotten Winchester, some poor bastard went and left behind the greatest weapon ever smithed by a man. My personal favorite.
    ... And yes, Winchester '73 and Shane, two of the best westerns ever, but I usually add McClintock if I want a western and a laugh.
    i'm not sure that highway 21, south/east of Baker shouldn't be called the loneliest highway in America. when we travelled on it last year, there where more sleeping cows in the ditch than there where cars on the road. when it came time for a nature break, there was no need to find a place to pull over, we just stopped in the middle of the road492.JPG
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links