Revisiting an old project
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Revisiting an old project

Revisiting an old project

Some years ago, a few of you 'old timers' might recall that mrgizmow was planning to add a two stroke outboard to his kayak. At that time, it was a -Why Not- but as long distance paddling became more of a challenge, the idea became more attractive. Tried to find my old kayak post, but had no luck. After more than a few years it seemed, this was a project that needed to be finished. Had to trim the drive assembly 8 inches to make it look and function in way that seemed appropriate to the kayak. All tasks pretty doable for the average "do-it-yourselfer". Am happy with the results. Easy starts, reasonably quiet, and scoots along at likely 12mph. Weight gain in minimal and motor easily tilts up allowing smooth paddling with no extra effort. Not nearly as scary as the 18 mile off-pavement jaunt I recently took on the XT-225. Hope all is well with you all. Take care. ===========
    SanDue, Mel, Donzo and 8 others like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Love it! Keep creating/modifying. You have a major nack for for it... motivates me to do more - But I just recently started adjusting my Dubs valves, lol. I've got work to do!

(Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like that kind of rowing Gerry.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    awesome gizmow-kayak!
    Converte gladium tuum in locum suum. Omnes enim, qui acceperint gladium, gladio peribunt. - JC

Very cool, Gerry!

I'll bet that paddle won't get much use now (unless you run out of gas!).

Brian

Great job Gerry.
    Your hull speed in knots theoretically should be 1.34 x square root of waterline length in feet. Apparently your 2-stroke puts out enough thrust to push beyond that ~7 mph. Neat.
    Happy motoring, welcome to the entertaining world of powered micro-craft.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Very cool Gerry! My three kayaks are all electric motored. One has a 22 pound thrust and the other 2 are 30 and 40 pound thrusts. 2 were factory made and the third I made myself as far as the electric motors. Where yours has it all over all of mine is in the max speed. I can get about 6 MPH at full throttle but normally fish trolling lures at around 1.5-2 MPH. Up here most lakes don't allow anything but electric motors so you can't come. Another disadvantage I have is the battery weighs around 70 pounds but the motors are pretty light. Now for the advantages, NO NOISE. My steering is done from the sliding foot pedals with SS cables attached to the motor, same as if I had a rudder. I can fish pretty much all day long with a good AGM deep cycle battery at around 110 AH capacity. Mine are tandem 2 seater kayaks except my fishing rig is one seat and highly equipped for trolling a couple lines behind me.

I always wondered how much fun it would be to drop a 6 HP Evinrude motor on the back of one and go for a blast down my lake that is 9 miles long. Bet I could hit close to 20 MPH but kayaks are not designed to be stable on plane. I am pretty fine with just going 3,4 or even 5 MPH with no paddling getting back to the ramp.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1016.JPGIMG_0813.JPG

GaryL
    admiral likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Growing up living right on a motorboat lake was quite a blast for me and my brother. I was the Gerry of our duo and always trying to push things to the limits. We had a couple ski boats and a couple fishing row boats with 3.5 and 6 HP motors. The plate on one row boat said Up To a 6 HP motor. I found a real nice 20 HP Merc motor at the bottom of the lake and rescued it. After getting it all cleaned up and the water out and dried off it fired right up and I just had to try it. We put it on the row boat for a 6 HP motor and took it for a spin. Brother up in the front and me at the controls. Did I mention that row boats are not really designed to go real fast or even up on plane? Hold on to your hat. That motor pushed the light row boat at break neck speeds probably well over 30 MPH but wow was it unstable at much over half throttle. When the water was mirror smooth we could blast it to the max but never when there were any waves or wakes. We could not do a full throttle hole shot because the back end would dig and the front end would stand up and toss brother to the back. Had to slowly give it gas but wow did we have fun with that monster until we got busted by the boat cops. BTW, their cop boat couldn't catch us but being on a small lake it was pretty easy to find us criminals. Here in NY I think your gas kayak would be outlawed even on motorboat lakes because I doubt it has a plate designating the size of motor it can have. Most of the big lakes here that do allow motorboats and jet skis also have speed limits now and the cops have radar guns to clock the speeds. I have been in boats that can hit 100 MPH and on jet skis that can get close to that but NY is a Kill Joy state. How cool would it be to put a TW200 motor in a row boat with a shaft and prop out the back.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

How cool, Jerry! Good job. Love seeing stuff like this. How far do you think you can go on a tank of gas?
    admiral likes this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links